Sephoraadmin

Ask François Nars a beauty question!

[ Edited ]

Your questions have been answered! Scroll down in this thread to see François' response. Thank you all for participating!

 

Want first-hand advice from NARS founder, makeup artist, and backstage visionary François Nars? The legend will be checking in to BeautyTalk after New York Fashion Week to personally address your posts. Post a question here, making sure to tag it with "askNARS". Also, don’t forget to subscribe to this post to get notified when he answers your question. (Check the “Subscriptions” box on the right side of the post page.)
 
Check back later this month to see all of his enlightening comments.

 

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

 


court1021 wrote:

Monsieur Nars, your products are simply sublime. I wore Schiap on my lips last night and felt unstoppable. So merci beaucoup for your wonderful contributions to the world of fashion and the confidence of women everywhere. My question is this: I love your brushes (especially those in the Kabuki Artisan Collection - they are phenomenal), but as a vegetarian and someone who is very interested in the rights of our furry friends I prefer to use brushes with synthetic bristles. I know that your brushes are cruelty-free because they are made simply by trimming the hair from the animal, but I was wondering if you would ever consider making a line of all synthetic brushes? I know with your genius and perfectionism that they would be tools unrivaled in the makeup industry. Thank you for your time and I look forward to seeing what marvels you come up with next. Bon chance in your endeavors!


Being a makeup artist brand, it is important to have brushes that have excellent performance.  While we do have some synthetic brushes in the line they are incorporated based on ability to provide the best application.  There may be a need for additional synthetic brushes in the line in the future but they would be in order to provide the best application possible.

 

feiticeira

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

I have very light skin, with both pinkish and yellow undertones (mostly pinkish, but i tan very easily). I have been looking for a nice red lipstick that would suit my skin tone. I also have small lips and my top lip is a bit thinner than the bottom lip. Is red lipstick worth trying, or will it make my lips appear smaller and more noticeably thin? and what color would you recommend for me?

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


feiticeira wrote:

I have very light skin, with both pinkish and yellow undertones (mostly pinkish, but i tan very easily). I have been looking for a nice red lipstick that would suit my skin tone. I also have small lips and my top lip is a bit thinner than the bottom lip. Is red lipstick worth trying, or will it make my lips appear smaller and more noticeably thin? and what color would you recommend for me?


Everyone can wear a red lip! A great way to introduce a red lip into your make up wardrobe is to try a pigmented gloss. Baroque Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil would be a great way to try a red lip! Another "perfect" red shade that works well for everyone is Vesuvio Pure Matte Lipstick! Line your lips with Jungle Red Lip liner, then apply Vesuvio Pure Matte Lipstick. Lastly, apply Baroque Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil to just the center of the lips. The added shine creates depth and a "pouty" look for someone who has thin lips.

 

amoonbeam

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

Hey! I love your products, but I struggle with finding the right foundation for my skin. I am acne prone, and somewhere between light and medium. What do you suggest for finding my right color and formula type?

 

Thanks so much, 

Kayla

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

 


amoonbeam wrote:

Hey! I love your products, but I struggle with finding the right foundation for my skin. I am acne prone, and somewhere between light and medium. What do you suggest for finding my right color and formula type?

 

Thanks so much, 

Kayla


Our Sheer Matte and Sheer Glow foundations are available in 20 shades, leaving you with endless possibilities to find your right match. If you visit NARS at Sephora, our artists will be happy to help you find the right finish and formula. For acne, make sure your skincare regimen is working for you.  If it’s not, try going to see a dermatologist to fix any issues.

 

reviwer16

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

What inspired your famous "Orgasm" line? 

P.S I love your products!

 

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

 


reviwer16 wrote:

What inspired your famous "Orgasm" line? 

P.S I love your products!

 


I wanted a blush that gives that fresh, healthy glow after an intimate encounter… and it looks great on all skin tones. The additional products were born from the success of the blush and the universal appeal of the shade regardless of texture.

 

zeusdaughter

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

I live in Austin TX and was wondering if you had any MUA programs or training to work for your company.

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

 


zeusdaughter wrote:

I live in Austin TX and was wondering if you had any MUA programs or training to work for your company.


As a makeup artist, I'm very supportive of makeup artists. We offer various incentives and urge you to call NARS to find out about our makeup artists programs at 800.788.NARS.

 

6aad0801

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Can you please make a shade similar to chelsea girls or belize in a velvet gloss lip pencil :-) xx     LOVE LOVE LOVE the velvet lip pencil formulation (lanolin allergy)  ... My makeup question is could you offer any advice on coordinating lipstick and blush - are there any faux pas? ...... looking forward to your new book!!!!

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


6aad0801 wrote:

Can you please make a shade similar to chelsea girls or belize in a velvet gloss lip pencil :-) xx     LOVE LOVE LOVE the velvet lip pencil formulation (lanolin allergy)  ... My makeup question is could you offer any advice on coordinating lipstick and blush - are there any faux pas? ...... looking forward to your new book!!!!


I always recommend that you forget about rules when it comes to makeup. Play around and see what works best for you.  Skintone, style and preference all play a role. But, when in doubt, a bold lip balanced with a lightly lined eye never goes out of style.

 

macuser

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

I would like to wear a new natural looking blush but most colors that have a tint of orange or peach turn orange on my skin. Any suggestions? I have VERY OILY fair skin, blue eyes and brown & silver hair.

 

Thank you!

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

 


macuser wrote:

I would like to wear a new natural looking blush but most colors that have a tint of orange or peach turn orange on my skin. Any suggestions? I have VERY OILY fair skin, blue eyes and brown & silver hair.

 

Thank you!


One of my favorite blushes for a fair skin that brings out the "orange" is Cactus Flower Cream Blush. Use your fingers to give cheeks a soft glowing pinkish hue. If you prefer a powder blush, try using Angelika Blush. Apply with a fluffy brush, like the NARS Kabuki Yachiyo Brush to temples, gently dusting it down onto apples. It’s a vibrant pink with no orange, and the slight luminosity gives the cheeks a healthy radiant glow.

 

cynabon

RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have very oily eyelids and my eye makeup does not stay on.. I have tried multiple primers and they dont work. By mid morning my eye makeup has creased and diminished. Any tip that can help alleviate this issue because i really love my eye makeup.

francoisnars

Re: RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

 


cynabon wrote:

I have very oily eyelids and my eye makeup does not stay on.. I have tried multiple primers and they dont work. By mid morning my eye makeup has creased and diminished. Any tip that can help alleviate this issue because i really love my eye makeup.


If you haven't tried our NARS Smudge-Proof Eyeshadow Base, head to the NARS section at Sephora immediately.  A tip: apply it to your hand, then apply a heavily-pigmented shadow (Like Daphne Single Eyeshadow). Let it dry for a few seconds, then spray some water on it and see if it drips. It won't run!

 

fawksyluna

Re: RE. ask Francois Nars a beauty question

(0) Hearts

If primer does not stay on, use an oil-free concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your actual skin tone (it can even be cheap concealer, like drugstore products) and then pat that in lightly and then put your shadows on. If you put a lot more on, it really neutralizes the color, but if you just put a slight bit on to keep the color.

 

 

 

 

 

 

xoxoxoxoxoxo

i heart you.

maggie kate

smokyeye

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

How do you come up with the names for your products?

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

 


smokyeye wrote:

How do you come up with the names for your products?


I keep a book with me where I write down the many names that come to mind. I get inspired by just about anything: travel, film, art etc. At this point, I probably have enough shade names for the next few years.

 

melimel15

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

Your runway looks are always stunning and flawless. What is your one can't-live-without/ use-on-every-model product and why?

francoisnars

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

[ Edited ]

 


melimel15 wrote:

Your runway looks are always stunning and flawless. What is your one can't-live-without/ use-on-every-model product and why?


 

Loose powder. With all of the colors and shades that NARS offers, loose powder is key in setting looks and ensuring a long-lasting, seamless appearance. We use it religiously backstage, but since it's translucent, it works for every-day as well.

laurenh88

Re: Ask François Nars a beauty question!

(0) Hearts

I just bought the Duo Eyeshadow in Brumes (matte charcoal and blue slate sheen).  The colors are beautiful and super pigmented but I'm not sure how to wear them together.  Hoping to get some advice on how to use both colors to create a great look that's still appropriate for work.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 47 replies
  • 4610 views
  • 30 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • melimel15
    • laurenh88
    • smokyeye
    • redheadorlando
    • macuser
    • amoonbeam
    • court1021
    • pocketvenus
    • fawksyluna
    • adicted2sephora
    • francoisnars
    • regina7747
    • 6aad0801
    • zeusdaughter
    • reviwer16
    • feiticeira
    • cynabon
    • glittzyz
    • beeerock
    • coriander
    • tammyrae
    • ogrewife
    • thilde