Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

[ Edited ]

trying new products can be...overwhelming. do you love a product because it works ? can you tell right away if it's performing the way you want it to ? sometimes i'm so happy to finally try something and let my enthusiasm blind my actual impression of it (at least at first Smiley Wink )

it takes time to come to proper conclusions ! particularly when it comes to skincare, but makeup too.

so here's a thread where we can discuss our experiences while trying a product  for a first time. it can also be a place that people can reference if they're considering a new product.

right now i'm trying a sample of the REN v-cense night cream. i've only used it for 2 nights so far, but i LOVE IT. i love it so much i'm tempted to go ahead and grab it up, but i need to make sure it doesn't break me out over time (it contains shea butter which *can* be a breakout trigger for me, but not necessarily). it smells of frankincense which i adore, but i know for some people would be a turn off.

i'm also checking out the VICHY aqualia thermal serum. i really love the CAUDALIE vinosource s.o.s. thirst quenching serum, and prefer the texture of it to the VICHY, but think the caudalie may break me out slightly (i also was probably overusing it...i was very enthusiastic). so i'm just trying to figure out which i prefer.

how about you ?

post trial edit about the products above: i had to skip on the REN because the shea butter in it was too heavy for my skin. and i suppose buying something simply for the smell isn't the best use of my moola Smiley Wink

the VICHY aqualia thermal serum, however, is in my permanent arsenal. i've already repurchased once since starting this thread, and have turned a few people on to it too ! 

Re: Are you "trialing" a new product ? Want to talk about it ?

(0) Hearts

Things I've been trialing:

1. Adapalene (as in differin): I couldn't use any retinoid so far, tretinoin or retinol, but this works without irritation. Differin's pretty inexpensive too.

2. Dior Pump n volume mascara: I really like it. I'm quite picky in terms of mascara, this is at least on par my two other favorite mascaras, both from Chanel. This one might be even better. 

3. Kevin Aucoin sensual skin enhancer: mixing it with Dior dreamskin skin perfector (primer?) makes it a perfect concealer. It can def. be used as foundation if I add more dreamskin, but I tried that way only once since I don't feel like wearing foundation at all these days. BTW, Dior dreamskin's so perfect (my absolute favorite). 

4. Mario Badescu Aloe toner: really basic, but I love it for being gentle. Never ever burns my skin. 

5. Pixi: I've been using glow toner, mud mask, and hydrating mist and repurchased all of them. Never expected to love them, especially glycolic acid toner, since glycolic/lactic acid never worked on my skin before. Mud mask sometimes give me burning sensation, but I don't get any spots or visible reaction. 

6. One Love organics vitamin B cleansing oil: I've been only using Shu Uemura ultimate since forever, but I felt like trying something new. This was a sort of random choice, but I love it very much. Smell too good...somewhat like pineapple, and it is really really gentle& effective. Feels thick, but washes off well without leaving residual feeling (or any makeup residue). 

Yuni shower sheets- 

Really like these. Used one after a morning run to freshen up and felt good all day. At first it seemed like it was going to leave a residue but once it dried down it didn't. I will be buying a box of these for sure! The dislikes were it was barely big enough (or maybe saturated enough?)for full body and I'm a small gal, and also it was a little sensitive to the lady parts at first but that wasn't lasting and could be easily fixed by carrying a wipe or wash tailored to that area in particular if needed.

[ Edited ]

I have a hair product review.

I got a deluxe sample of Ouai Hair oil in some purchase order or other.  I quite like it, surprisingly.  I don't own any other Ouai product and had no intention of trying the brand really.

The oil is very thin, almost feels like oily water.  I have quite long hair (about waist length), and I use 3-4 pumps worth.  I apply the oil into my hair after I have towel dried.  And then I use a dryer to dry my hair.

It isn't heavy and doesn't feel like "product" in your hair.  Doesn't feel greasy either - for the amount I use anyway.

I am likely to purchase a full bottle of this.

@greenchilli i was resisting the ouai brand too, for reasons. but i ended up with the texturizing spray, and am admittedly enjoying it. i currently have a routine consisting of oil all over (all the time, my hair absorbs everything) as well as the texturizing spray on the ends, and the combo--although somewhat contradictory in purpose--has been working out for me. i have an aveda oil that i love but i keep that one in my purse and keep it there, so i've actually been using old facial oils that are likely too old for my face but i have no problem putting in my hair. but eventually i'll run out of those and will need to actually purchase a proper hair oil, and i'll give this one a look ! (thaaaaaaat was long winded, apologies)

[ Edited ]

@jemly

I have been uninterested n Ouai as well- for reasons :-)

The sample I have will last me a while, so I am not in much of a hurry to purchase.

I do want to couch my pleasant surprise in the fact that I expected to be disappointed by it.  So the fact that I like it might seem a bigger recommendation than it ought to be.  There are other products that I have used and liked as well.....this could be in rotation.  

I do like to change it up every so often....seems like my hair responds to that.

[ Edited ]

Tata harper purifying cleanser - Been using this since this past weekend, and I really really like it so far. I love cleansers that you can massage in on dry skin. Smell is nice and invigorating. Sometimes I wish it was a little thicker like the nude jelly. No bad reactions yet.

Indie Lee CoQ-10 Toner - Picked this up from cult beauty because I've seen it on Caroline hiron's IG and randomly other places. I like the idea behind the brand. been trailing this for for the past 3 days or so. I noticed on my decollete many small red dots/bumps are appearing and one larger breakout. Makes my chest look "dirty" if you know what I mean. I can only assume it's from this toner since I do bring it down to my neck and chest. I don't have this reaction on my face, but I do notice an increase in small bumps at the bottom of my cheeks. 

ps @greenchilli if you conclude that you like it, you can have mine xD

(0) Hearts

@mella900

Oh no!  So sorry to hear about the skin reaction.  That sounds unpleasant for sure.

I have liked the Indie Lee Toner the few times I've used it, but it isn't a staple in my routine.  I still have a ton left in my bottle and it will be a while before I use it up.   Of hydrating toners, Pixi and Caudalie get a lot of use in my routines....

Thank you for thinking of me.

I also think TKLJ uses it and loves it IIRC.

I picked up Naked cosmetics loose pigment stack stack in Sierra Nevada from an ipsy offer. So far the pigments have been long wearing as eye shadows and I have not  had any issues with irritation. The jars can be a bit messy or I'm just not good at handling loose powders.

All shades except the black used

mother4.jpg

Using the two lightest shades over Tom Ford golden peach cream shadow as highlight. The lightest has a pretty lavender shift on skin. 

naked stack.jpg

Now that I've been able to get rid of most of my irritated skin bumps, I'm trialing new products.

A few things about me:

- 21 years old

- very fair skin (aka freckles/burns easily)

- normal, sensitive, acne-prone, and slightly dehydrated skin

ELF Acne Fighting Gel - It's 2 bucks. Seriously, if it does anything then it'll be money well spent. Anyways, I like this better than the PTR anti-acne spots so far. The gel is better suited for someone like me who has multiple "pockets" of acne that one dot can't cover. We'll see if it actually decreases my acne.

Farmacy Honey Savior ... Salve - hmmm...it has an overwhelming honey scent to it so I'm glad I tried it on my hand first rather than next to my nose. The consistency reminds me of bag balm or jelly petroleum. I do have some ridiculously dry skin that I might save this for so we'll see how it works out so far, I'm not impressed.

Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream - I heard good things about this moisturizer and wanted to see if it would work for my skin.

First impressions - It felt like a gel (think belif aqua bomb) when going on but it didn't feel drying or overly sticky. My skin felt hydrated the morning after applying it and it worked well with my elf acne gel. We'll see if it continues to work well with me skin.

(0) Hearts

I just wanted to update my trials after working on them for almost two months (wow, time goes by way too quickly for me right now). 

ELF Acne Fighting Gel - It's a decent product, I'll use it up but unfortunately for me; my acne is the kind that doesn't seem to respond at all to Salicylic acid. So I won't be repurchasing this one again.

Farmacy Honey Salve - long name, eh results. This does about as good as a job as my bag balm. But I prefer the texture and smell of bag balm to this salve. Again, I'll use it up but I won't repurchase it.

PTR Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream - I think this would be a nice daytime cream for someone who never has dry skin. I used up the entire full-size bottle, and while it was ok as a daytime cream for me; it wasn't as thick or as moisturizing as I had hoped it would be. I'm trying a new moisturizer from The Ordinary which works just as well as the PTR cream for me. So while it's an ok product, it's not worth the price for me.

Hopefully next round of trials will work end up with better results.

[ Edited ]

Ending the trial phase of SR good genes by purchasing the value size bottle! I didn't realize how much of an acne scar improvement until after looking back at some older pics from the height of my cystic acne days (thank god they're on pause).

Before:

IMG_0365.jpg

Almost 3 years ago. Don't mind my moulage (and lazily not editing down)!!! But the moulage makeup actually seeded into the scar pits on my cheek, enhancing how bad they were!! It was like my own little constellation on my cheek hah.

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 2.11.28 PM.png

ETA: This one ^ about 6-7 months before I started using GG, which shows that the moulage isn't creating the pit effect.

After almost 3 months SR GG:

1211.jpg

Only one noticeable deep pit! Still have some surface unevenness but... WOW.. I had a huge scar under my left eye too which is now just a small spot. Yes I have light makeup on but no pore filler, etc.

Final thoughts: take my money... take it all! Worth every penny for me.

Now starting trial of:

Spoiler
Body shop vitamin E night cream. It's hard for me to find a night cream that's hydrating enough to last the whole night. I used up a PTR unwrinkle night mini and loved it but wanted to get through other things in my stash before I committed to purchasing that big expensive mother. I do like TBS cream so far, it's super hydrating. I am a little concerned that it's clogging around my chin area though, so will reevaluate in the next couple weeks. 

[ Edited ]

Wow, your skin looks fantastic @CC3616!

(0) Hearts

I was having issues with BT before and missed this! Thank you @Ikon

I have dry skin too. And I found adding a few drops of oil  to your moisturizer will boost its performance a lot. 

[ Edited ]

New product preliminary review:  I am not really trialing this as I have already purchased full size.  

Indie Lee CoQ Toner

I use it after cleansing and before moisturizer.  If I have used a stronger acid, I might use this after.

I have now used it both AM and PM a handful of times.  It feels nice and a bit hydrating (just a boost, you still need moisturizer).  I would treat this like a hydrating toner essence.  It is not a necessary step in skincare, but a good boost when layering hydrating products for an extra boost.

It does have a semi-strong clean scent.  It reminds me of an "after shave lotion".  Not sure any of you could relate, but when I was young and injured myself playing, my dad had two options - splash Dettol (antispectic) or his aftershave lotion on the wound.

Aftershave won every time.  

So far I have liked it.  Will update after long term use.

I love that toner, and the scent especially! @greenchilli

[ Edited ]

I've been trialing Peter Thomas Roth's Glycolic Acid 10% Moisturizer for about a week now and I'm really happy with it thus far. I had been using Clinique's Smart Treatment oil for ages, and while my skin looked nice I felt like it was also looking kind of dull, and so I decided to try something new (I'm also very much into preventative aging products). I swear I could see a difference in my skin immediately. I can't remember the last time I was this impressed with a skincare product.

That's great; I ordered the moisturizer and cleanser set today, and now I'm excited to try this!

I really hope you like them! Smiley Happy

Recently I purchased a few Farmacy products.  I have tried 2 items so far:

Farmacy Eye Dew - I really like this.  It is now in rotation as my daytime eye cream.  

Farmacy Honey Potion mask - this was no good to me.  It is supposed to be a hydrating mask but it did just the opposite.  My face felt quite dehydrated for 2 days until I could get it back in order.  To be honest, honey has not been a winning ingredient to me, no matter how many times I try in various formulations.  Honey always feels drying.  

I still have to try their brightening sheet mask and serum.  Maybe next week.