Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

APRIL 2017 FAVES, BABES

april showers bring....new (and old) favorites ! (an aside: i love just about everything i got in the sale this month; some stuff needs more time before i want to talk about it, but some stuff--after having for about 2 weeks now--are solidly favorites !). no skincare for me this month, just stickin' to my tried and true.

april17faves.jpg

not pictured: KVD lip liner and CIRQUE nail polish (see below)

• NARS dual intensity eyeshadow -- sycorax. i've been using it both as sheer smoke around the eyes, and as diffused liner. it's brilliant as both. i haven't used it wet on the lid, yet, so i can't speak for that, but used dry it is sheer but buildable, and not patchy (something i find quite hard to find in black shadows) i basically think this is a perfect product, and i can't believe it took me this long. ("Sycorax is an unseen character in William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. She is a vicious and powerful witch and the mother of Caliban, one of the few native inhabitants of the island on which Prospero, the hero of the play, is stranded.")
  • REAL TECHNIQUES eye shade + blend brush set. this set is the base shadow brush and the deluxe crease brush. i lovvvvve them. as a lot of y'all know, i'm not too fancy--i typically never use more than 2 colors on my eyes, and a fluffy blending brush does me just fine. the base shadow brush is just perfect--it picks up product with easy, and blends it with such ease. i haven't been using the deluxe crease brush much--but it's a perfect 'diffuser' brush, and i've used it some, too, for face powder on concentrated areas.
  • NARS light reflecting loose powder. i've had this for a long time and use it regularly, if not sometimes rather sparsely. this month i found myself using it everyday and reminding myself just how gorgeous this stuff is. sets makeup, light perfectly diffuses pores and texture and gives a properly luminous--not shimmery or glittery--glow.
  • LIP COMBO: MAC spice lipliner with NYX liquid suede 'soft spoken'. this dominated my look the first half of the month. darkened nude but totally wearable. some people don't like the liquid suede formula, but i adore it. 
  • KAT VON D everlasting lip liner, lovecraft. this dominated the second half of the month for me. lovecraft is only slightly darker than the 'lovesick' everlasting liquid lip in 'lovesick' which is one of my very favorite nudey pinks. the formula is creamy but not slippy (i hate slippery lip pencils !), opaque and lasts ALL DAY. i wore this almost everyday since getting it, only to have it fall out of a pocket last night. i've already repurchased, because i don't want to be without it. my only qualm with this product is that i think it will not last longer than 6 weeks, as the softness of the formula leads to a lot of product being used at once. that $18 price tag will add up quickly if that's the case.
  • NARS sun wash diffusing bronzer, 'laguna'. what can i say, i've worn this every single day since i got it. it's rather sheer but buildable, so foolproof (which i need as a bronzer newb) as well as suitable for fair skin. if you followed my experience of buying it in the NARS thread, i ended up getting laguna over the fair-skin intended 'seaside' which i was afraid would look too orange, and while i'm not sure how 'seaside' would've worked out, i can attest that laguna is not too dark for fair skin--aided, of course, by the lovely, sheer and MODERN formula.
  • CIRQUE nail lacquer - 'fast fashion'. i don't own this, i sell it in my shop and used the tester for an instagram post. and i was instantly in love ! i'll likely be buying some for myself, and this is surprising for a few reasons: i'm not a nail person, i can't be bothered, as well ast....it's a pink ! a nude, warm (rather than the more ubiquitous cool) mauve, and i'm just feelin' it. i've painted my nails 4 times with it ! i never do that ! 
Spoiler
cirquefastfashion.jpg
  • BURBERRY eye contour shadow stick -- almond. perfect everyday shade for a bit of definition but otherwise natural look. if you're a fan of maybelline color tattoo in 'creamy beige' or mac paint pot 'groundwork', 'almond' is very similar, but in a stick (which i know some people prefer). it goes on very creamy, but dries down very quickly (blend fast !) and then doesn't budge. this one won't be leaving my makeup bag 🙂

Re: APRIL 2017 FAVES, BABES

I won't mention my favourite staple products I have used for ages, but will mention products that are either a fairly new and have become a staple, or something I have used quite a bit last month.  Am I doing it right?

Bobbi Brown BB cream - I purchased this some weeks ago.  It has become my daytime base of choice.  It give a healthy finish, shade matches me well (medium-dark), and it doesn't irritate me in spite of the SPF.

UMA anti-aging body oil - I got this sometime last month.  I have tried many body oils before, and this is by far the best.  It absorbs well, hydrates all day, and the scent is divine.  This layers well with Tom Ford Neroli Prtofino which is my signature scent.  I do not rotate perfumes or try many out.  I am very much a signature scent(s) type of person (perhaps 2-3 scents). It is a staple.

Surratt eyebrow pencil - I only just bought this.  But I can tell you that it is my brow product of choice.  I like the colour, it lasts well, and has a convenient slim point.

I have used ABH brow pencils.  And while I appreciate the pointy tip, it wears off.  I use Hourglass brow pencil which I quite like, but it is thick and can be a bit unwieldy.

Tom Ford Paradise Lust duo - New purchase.  Blush shade works most days and the highlighter is lovely.  This could become a default option.

I love the Surratt brow pencil.  I had it in my faves last month as a rekindled affair after I'd put it away for a few months to use up a brow gel.

I only wish it came in a few more colours, but I love that it's refillable.

My faves for the month of April -

1. Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Water Foundation: I purchased this during the Tarte F&F Sale because I remember getting a sample about a year ago and liking it, and I had been looking for lighter foundation for summer. I've loved it so much so far! I get the coverage I want, and it feels very nice on. 

2. Josie Maran Argan Moisturizing Stick: This is just solid stick with argan, some other oils, and moisturizing butters. It's great for all over use, but I love it on my lips and around my nails. 

3. Laura Geller DramaLASH Mascara: I've just been reaching for this one lately. It's making my lashes look really nice, that's all!

4. Marc Jacobs Le Marc Le Creme Lipstick in Slow Burn: I redeemed some points for this when it was available as a reward I think in March? I really like the formula of these lipsticks, and the color is just a perfect warm rosey nude for me. 

5. Pinrose Wildchild: I want it to be warm weather so bad, and this is a nice, true floral that's fun and makes me think of warm weather. 

6. L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil: I've been using this for a couple of months now, and it's been very good for balancing my skin. The dry areas aren't as dry and my oily areas aren't as oily. Most importantly is the dryness though! I don't feel that anymore at all. 

My top faves, new and old, for the month!

18236691_10210953637174262_1402308775_o.jpg

Tarte Tartelette palette - started using this again, such great mattes I love these shadows!

Mac Fix Plus - started using this again as well, in desperate need of a new bottle.  I love this stuff for taking away that powdery look at keeping some dew look to my skin. 

First Aid Beauty Coconut Skin Smoothie Priming Moisterizer - OMG I cannot say enough good things about this.  It creates the perfect moisterized, smooth, supple canvas for makeup I am in love

Loreal Pro Glow Foundation- gotta mix shades to adjust to my tan, such a great dewy, medium coverage foundation.  I use this with my beauty blender.

Tarte Shape Tape - So happy I got my hands on this in Canada.  Not much to say, everyone knows the hype with this.  I use the shade light neutral for around my face and fair neutral for under my eyes. 

Cover FX illuminating drops in Moonlight - An old promo I got in a sample bag from Sephora months ago.  Started using this as a liquid highlight as well as on my lid and inner corner.  Wow I love this stuff, it does something a powder highlight can't.  Sometimes I just wear it alone because it sets nicely.  

Nicole x ABH Glowkit - One of my favourite makeup items ever! I got this as a gift for my bday from my bestfriend.  So incredibly happy with this palette and cannot say enough good things.  If you are on the fence I highly suggest biting the bullet.  It is so unique while being wearable, unlike ABH Moonchild or Aurora.  My fave shades are swatched below!  I am light skin tone and can wear every shade!  I have been using this as a highlight and eyeshadow.  If a shade is too dark for me at the time I mix in forver lit (the white shade)  SO SO beautiful!

Mac Extra Dimension blush in Fairly Precious - the perfect subtle blush for summer.  It is shimmery without being too much.  This is an everyday for me and will be using this all summer for sure. 

Tarte Color Splash Lipstick in Beach Babe - LOVE this formula.  Perfect neutral nude without going too pink or too orange-y/brown-y.  Fades nicely, its been a nice break from liquid lipstick.  This makes your lips look so nice.  It has a satin finish, almost verging on matte throughout the day but not drying at all.  And can we talk about this packaging?? Love it. 

Spoiler
Swatches - all one swipe each - left to right: Cover fx drops in Moonlight, Tarte Beach Babe, Mac Fairly Precious, ABH Glow Kitty Cat and Daydream (my two faves from the palette)
18217120_10210953637734276_411116003_n.jpgTried to capture how pretty these powders look in sunlight.  This is a screenshot from a flash video. It was too gloomy and rainy to get proper sunlight photos. 18216054_10210953638494295_622098163_o.jpg

This whole month I was very careful about putting anything on my face due to some chemical burns. They took a long time to heal and even more for the dryness to clear from those spots. That means it was light on makeup month and I actually like it. It means my skin is ready to go base free for summer.

A few old trusted products that helped me looking not a complete reck , I can call my favourite of the month are

ABD Dip Brow Pomade (Dark Brown) Just filling the brow properly gives the face such a well polished look. I love this stuff 💙

Givenchy Cream eyeshadow Graphic Bronze Another repeated old favourite, this is such a soft shade, I can easily wear it on my no makeup face to make eyes look a bit awake.

MarcJacob's La Marc Lipstick Slow burn I didn't try it on for a long time considering it might be too light for me but it is perfect.

Dr Jart Cicapair 🐯 grass cream This is the cream that finally helped heal my skin specially the skin of my neck ( Learnt the lesson hard way that I need to change the habit of putting everything that goes on my face, onto my neck as well)

Love the Cicapair too. It's my go-to moisturizer when I think my skin is acting out.

I'm glad you found something that helped with the damage! I tried a little of the cicapair and loved the texture. 

Just a few favorites for me:

Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze & Glow (sculpt side) - This has been the perfect bronzer for me while I've been a little paler.

Urban Decay Razor Sharp Liquid Liner in Demolition - While some of the shimmery colors are problematic, this "matte" one is perfect for my needs. (be warned, it doesn't really come off as matte)  The dark brown color is perfect, and I much prefer a brush tip to a felt one.

Kat Von D Metal Crush Eyeshadow in Thunderstruck - I can't believe how beautiful this color is. It totally comes off as a light nude to pink duo chrome on me, not the white it looks like in the pan. Such a great lid shade!

Peter Thomas Roth Blue Marine Algae Hydrating Mask - I love the way this smells, and it makes my face feel fantastic.

Yes To Coconut Eye Cream - I'm surprised how much I've been enjoying this. I ran out of my Fresh Rose Eye Cream, and I didn't want to spend that much this time around. So I decided on a whim to try this, and so far so good.

IMG_7449.JPG

April is that month where I transition from needing hydrating formulas in pale shades to matte formulas in peachy tones. The Texas sun is out in full force and we've hit the 90s in temperature (although today it's nice and chilly). 

This month I also transitioned from being engaged to married to my sweetie hubby (also still a sweetie), and ever since I've found that I wake up wanting to really perfect my look for him. So this month I've moved on from my lazy BB creams/blush stick/shadow stick/lip gloss and I'm really making an effort. I mean, I was making an effort before, but mostly only when we had a date. This morning I got a "wow you really look great today" comment and it's a lazy Sunday. Feels good.

Urban Decay singles, Urban Decay primer, and Mac Fix+

I've been wearing a foiled eye look using my Urban Decay singles almost every day this month. I usually wear this look a few times a month, but this month it was nearly every day. I prime using the UD primer, then apply virgin all over and tease in the crease. Then I apply Mac Fix+ to my (synthetic) makeup brush to get it wet, and then I dip it into a color. When I apply the color wet, it creates a nice foil effect. My favorite singles this month have been thunderbird, tonic, asphyxia, and mildew. In particular tonic's duochrome effect goes *really* well with CoverFX's halo drops, which I ended up mixing with my foundation or just dotting on my face a few times this month. Considering how well the duochrome singles go with holo highlighters, I think I'm going to pick up the new Milk mars holo highlighter to wear with UD fireball.

Urban Decay 24/7 pencil in Crave/Venus

I'm finding that I want to wing it out less lately this spring, so I've gone back to traditional liner. Crave is nice along my upper lid line and venus really brightens my eye when applied to my lower lid.

Bite Beauty Multistick in Cashew

Despite the good reviews, I still hadn't purchased Cashew because I thought it looked rather brown and I'm pale enough that brown lipsticks wash me out. I got this in the Bite Love lip set and gave it a whirl. I am now willing to admit that I was wrong. I've used this on my lips, cheeks, and eyelids and it blends out beautifully. It does not look too dark on my skin. Once applied, it almost seems to change shade slightly and it looks less like a boring brown on my skin. It is not in any way a bronzer; it definitely works as a blush. It really looks great alongside rose and peach shades. 

Fiona Stiles Matte Finish Foundation

I'm sick of wearing both luminous finish foundations and tons of illuminating products. In between luminous finishes, glitter, and highlighter everywhere, I look shiny and reflective. With the heat getting up into the 90s here in Texas soon, I'm worried about looking sweaty. I purchased this foundation on sale at Ulta to see if a nice matte foundation could get me out of my rut and it's doing the trick. I'm now starting with a matte base and then applying illuminating products where I want them rather than shining all over. Their 01 shade was a smidge darker than my skin when I picked it out, but now that I've been spending time in the sun it suits me pretty well. I'm sad that I just now discovered this foundation as Ulta seems to be discontinuing it, since it wears really well (I've gotten 8-12 hours if I'm not sweating). I'd put it on the level with Mac studio fix fluid in terms of quality. That said, I don't think I would purchase this full price since Mac studio fix fluid is slightly cheaper and I consider them to be around the same quality. I do find that this foundation is *really* mattifying though, so you have to start with a well moisturized face and mattifying primers are problematic with it.

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit in Surreal Light

I had put this palette away all winter because it was a smidgen too dark with how pale I got this winter, but now that I've been getting sun again it's perfect! This palette is also the reason I wanted a matte foundation again: it brings the glow like crazy. I like basically every shade except for the strobe, which I can't seem to find a good way to wear. 

aprilfaves1.jpg

Reverie Milk Anti-Frizz Leave In Nourishing Treatment

This crazy weather has been wreaking absolute havoc on my hair 😞 I have long straight hair that easily knots so you can imagine the birds nest situation that was happening. NOTHING was working to tame down the mane -not even my beloved Living Proof Satin Hair Serum! This leave in treatment got everything back under control with just one use. It is amazing! It does not weigh down my hair but it definitely treats and conditions the hair. The consistency is between a serum and a light cream. It smells wonderful too! Reminds me of herbal Aveda products my mom used to wear. This is expensive but worth every penny. I highly recommend you try it out if you have been having hair issues too!

Models Own Sculpt & Glow Highlighter Powder in Golden Sand and Peach Pearl

These haven't been getting the best reviews by "beauty gurus" but I have really been enjoying them. Since I have a bit of a tan going I prefer Golden Sand but when I was a bit lighter Peach Pearl was the favorite. They don't work as well with my typical MUFE fan brush so I use the Sephora Collection and hakuho-do highlighter brush instead. It looks beautiful on the skin! I do like to set with some sort of spray (i.e. UD or Fix +) so maybe that's why I haven't been seeing the powdery issues others have been mentioning. 

Meg Twin Nail in Lovey Dovey

The Lisa Frank brush made me re-sub to ipsy after a fairly long haitus and I am so glad I did. Every thing in my bag was a winner this month but this one takes the cake (surprisingly lol). The colors are so pretty and they have been wearing like iron for me. 

Bite Lipsticks

One is in the Amuse Bouche formula and that is in the shade Rhubarb, the other is from the old Luminous Creme formula and that shade is in Musk. Both gorgeous shades and my love affair with Bite is back on track. I also recently just picked up the new Bite set with the multisticks and those are quickly becoming favorites as well! 

ABH MR and Mario Palettes

I'm not obsessed with either one of these on their own but when I use them together I feel so inspired! I was watching one of Carli Bybel's videos and saw that she laid out multiple palettes and had them all open. I never thought of doing that before! I usually just work with one palette at a time. Propping both of these open at the same time was a game changer for me. It sounds so simple and probably silly but it really changed things for me lol. As most of you know, the formula of these shadows is fantastic. They all play well together and wear for a very long time. I can not wait for the new ABH palette to come out in the fall!

Bonus:

Spoiler
aprilfaves2.jpgMy baby has been extra curious about makeup lately lol 

What a cute kitty. Everyone's fur babies that they post on Beauty Talk in the haul photos are one of my top favorites this month. 😄 

XOXO,
Marieke

Aww thanks @MariekeBT ❤ 

I've been loving the Golden Sand highlighter you sent me too @Mcakes! It's such a pretty light gold, great for when I feel like a shimmery highlight 😄

Oh yay I'm so happy that you like it @k617

I'm interested in that Reverie milk! My hair goes birdsnest easily too, I'm always looking for new leave-ins. 

It did the trick for me @fairlywell! The birds nest was not looking too pretty before this lol. 

@Mcakes i've had my eye on that reverie product (as well as the recovery oil). i may treat myself. i've been really into oils and milky hydrating products to treat my hair in between washes. happy to have received your input !

@jemly Oooh that recovery oil is something I have my eye on too! Please let me know if you end up getting it how you like it. 

I think the milk treatment is 150% worth the shot! My ends look so healthy thanks to this product. 

April.JPG

Nars Illuminator in Copacabana - It's just so stunning! I don't have anything else that looks so natural and so glowy at the same time. 

Hourglass bronzer in Nude Bronze Light - Really stunning! It looks so soft and natural on my fair skin, and it blends effortlessly. I look tanned, but not overdone (which can sometimes happen with other bronzers, like Benefit's Hoola). It's subtle, yet noticeable, if that makes sense.

Hourglass strobe blush in Brilliant Nude - This compliments bronzer so well! You know how bronzer can make it look like you've spent a week in Cuba? This is the blush to go with that look. It's warmer and peachier than a bronzer, but adds perfectly to that beachy, sun-kissed look. It's such a beautiful and versatile shade. I've been using it daily and I don't see that changing any time soon.

YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer - I've been using this for a couple months and really love it. My makeup sits beautifully on top of it.

Too Faced Melted Liquified Long Wear Lipstick in Chihuahua - I don't own too many liquid lipstick, but I saw this in a youtube video and ran out to buy it. I love the shade, and the formula is really nice too.

IMG_3375.JPG

My favorite thread of the month!

Eyes:

I think because of my disappointment with the Natural Love palette I began playing with the Naked 1 palette again and I remembered what a nice set of shades is it. Every day that I used it and I would catch a reflection of myself and think how much I liked my eyeshadow. A nice re-discovery. (I also tried playing around with Naked 2 again and that palette really isn't for me. I struggle with it.)

Lips (from l-to-r):

Tom Ford Nude Vanille - My first Tom Ford lipstick and I'm hooked.

YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Color 10/Beige Tribute - The only weird thing is that it smells a little bit like an old plasticky strawberry shortcake doll character and I can't remember which one, but not in an entirely unpleasant way. But I'm still really into this lipstick. That being said...

Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Color Splash Lipstick in Rum Punch - This is a very close dupe for the YSL Beige Tribute and $16 cheaper with no scent. The wear time is very good and feels light and easy to wear. Tarte bugs me as a brand with all their social media influencer wining and dining to tropical island trips so I almost didn't buy this but the product is very, very nice. 

Face: 

Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic blush in Love is the Drug - I only started REALLY caring about blush maybe 4 months ago. This one is so beautiful with my complexion. It's very pigmented so I have to be careful. But it gives me a flush that reminds me of being a little kid having just come inside from a cold fall day in New England. 

Clarins Fix' Make-Up - I like this setting spray because the mist is extremely fine. It has a floral scent but it doesn't linger so I actually like that (if my face smelled like flowers all day I'd be annoyed). 

Brushes:

Real Techniques Blush Brush - I've only been meaning to buy this brush for years! It's great, perfect, amazing...all the words. 

NARS angled shadow brush - honestly I don't know if this is even made anymore but I've been using it everyday again and it blends product out so beautifully. I'm glad I spent however much god only knows four years ago for it. 

H&M shadow brushes - I love these! I only have the small and medium shader brushes but they are heaven! Between these and the NARS and maybe one other blending brush I've abandoned everything else for my eyes. When H&M runs sales, especially with free shipping and no minimum I'd recommend buying one or two to try. They're around $6 full price. 

Here's a better look:

IMG_3377.JPG

Eye candy! 😍

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos21
  • april17faves.jpg
  • cirquefastfashion.jpg
  • IMG_3833.JPG
  • IMG_3375.JPG
  • IMG_3377.JPG