jennypenny1995

5 tips that make my beauty life easier

I wish so badly I'd known these things would make my life easier!  If this helps even just 1 person, that's what I want.  (If my post helps you in any way, please let me know!)

1. Change your mascara with the change of seasons.  We all know we should change it out every 3 months, but who can remember when that was?!  So, I change mine next month as Summer officially arrives.  Then, another new tube in September when Fall arrives.  That way, there's no doubt just how old that tube really is!

2. Quit picking.  (This is where I'm being brutally transparent.)  For years, it has hurt my head to see a clogged pore or a slight white center to an upcoming blemish.  My solution was to squeeze, poke, prod...whatever I could to get it gone.  What I've found is that LEAVING IT ALONE is actually the fastest cure for blemishes and for the overall prevention of them.  I spent so much time in the mornings concealing, blending, concealing, blending, applying powder.  My battle with cystic acne, I believe, is probably a lot of my fault because I was causing absolute chaos under my skin with all that nonsense.  I've not touched my skin for almost 2 months now.  How many blemishes do I have?  Zero.  How much redness do I have?  Very little.  When is the last time I used concealer?  1 month ago.  Case made.

3. Don't reinvent the wheel.  Instead of sticking with the formula of foundation that truly did work for me, I've sampled about all of them.  YouTuber or blog poster raves about a foundation...I'm on it.  I just tossed a BB cream and a CC cream sampler because I felt so compelled to see if this was the stuff that was going to work magic for me, and...wait for it...it didn't.  Back to my foundation (Lancome's Dual Finish) formula and shade that get it right every time!  I've learned that liquid formulas just don't work well for me, so why waste time, energy, and good skin (experienced a few hiccups of blemishes or just "yuck" skin because of sampler situations) to find that miracle product?!

4. Keep it simple.  Instead of having tons of color products rolling around and coming loose from their pans, I have 1 single eye palette (Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Everyday") and 3 cheek colors (Tarte's Dollface, Exposed and then Benefit's Dandelion).  All I do now is make either my eyes or lips the focal point of my look and use one of those cheek colors to brighten my face.  And guess what?  It's simple.  I'm actually using up product before it expires or gets goopy or whatever.

5. Stick to a memorable routine.  I exfoliate twice weekly (Murad's Pomegranate Mask), and I do it every Sunday and Wednesday.  While it sets, I wash my BeautyBlender (I have 2, so this gives me a clean one twice a week).  Once a month, I also wash my face & eye brushes while also doing my BeautyBlender.  If I didn't stick to just those two days for treatments, I'd forget when, then it'd be a week, then a month before I'd realized how time had slipped by without keeping a routine.  It truly does make a difference in my skin!

Hope I helped!

jennypenny1995

Re: 5 tips that make my beauty life easier

(0) Hearts

Comment on #3: Cheated and tried a sample of a liquid foundation on Friday (Lancome's Teinte Idole).  Wore decently, but oiled up after 4 hours, no better than Dual Finish.  But, I COULD NOT WAIT TO GET HOME AND TAKE IT OFF!  So heavy feeling!!  Why did I sneak in a sample?!?

melde

(0) Hearts

I have to admit I love mixing up cheep, lip, and eye colors, but I COMPLETELY agree about sticking to a good face routine once you find one! :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I think color products are almost the same across the board--maybe some better quality foundations and powders--but mostly okay from drugstore brands.  Skin care routine?  Yep, it's not an option!

jennypenny1995

Update on #2: Approaching 2 months since the last time I used concealer.  So, so happy!!

voxover

Not so much a beauty tip as a few skin care/safety tips that would have been really great to know but nobody (not even a dermatologist in my experience!) seems to tell people:
Always read the directions/cations/warnings for a product, especially if it's Rx. If there's not very much info about the main ingredients, look it up on an edu or US gov site and see the directions and warnings.

Example: If using a retinoid, try to stay out of the sun or be very careful to use plenty of sunscreen.

Another example of something I just found out via a the US National Library of Medicine drug information webpage that's free to access:

"Orally and parenterally administered clindamycin has been associated with severe colitis which may result in patient death. [...] Studies indicate a toxin(s) produced by clostridia is one primary cause of antibiotic-associated colitis." WHAT?! Why is that something not in big block letters to warn people with colitis or other digestion issues on the packaging of the medication itself? Why is Accutane the only thing I've seen with a whole warning set/book?

kemoca

it's true. i almost died from a round of clindamycin. i got the infection (c. diff.) and went into septic shock and had to go to the icu and everything. it was horrible. and i can basically never take antibiotics again, unless its life threatening. 

sorry, i know you're comment is old. how did i even end up here?

voxover

(0) Hearts

Oh nooo! I'm so glad you're all right. I want to treat my acne, but I'm afraid of that something like c. diff. happening to me if I go with any stronger antibiotics. I'm very glad you chimed in though because it shows that this is something to be taken seriously.

mdelrosario91

I believe the FDA only mandates a warning if the adverse effect is unusual, significant, and found to be highly prevalent in the consumer population, but don't quote me on that.  

Unfortunately, not everyone knows disadvantages of antibiotics.  As great as antibiotics are, they have the ability to not only destroy bad bacteria, but also good bacteria.  These good bacteria live on top of our skin, inside our mouths, in our digestive tracts, and for the ladies, in our girly parts.  I'm a nurse, and whenever there is a person that is prescribed antibiotics, friend or patient, I always advise them to take some yogurt or probiotics.  It is less time consuming and cheaper to prevent, rather than treat.  The ones you need are the yogurts that state "live and active cultures" or contain six cultures (you'll find that by the nutritional facts).

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Get ready...Almost time for #1 to happen!  (armed with new tube)

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Have had numerous requests to make this post visible again, so here ya go, peeps!

viviene23

(0) Hearts

Love the change of seasons idea... I wish I can adopt your other ideas but I have so many beauty products and I love trying out whats new...keeping it simple won't work for me ;-)

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yeah, that would be tough.  But I like using things until they're gone, not expired, so limiting it to just 3 cheek colors, for example, gives me variety without getting gross stuff growing.  ; )

wingatprsct

@jennypenny1995 -  Great ideas!

#1.  I really like the mascara idea.  That's a good way to remember.  I should probably reorder this month since I bought my last tube around Christmas. 

#2.  I have finally been able to restrain myself from picking.  It wasn't until I purchased an extractor tool.  If I can't get anything with the extractor tool, I need to leave it alone!  Always clean it with alcohol! 

#3.  I'm trying to break myself from this one.  I'm always thinking the next best thing is in my newest sample pack.  I do try to limit myself to one item at a time that I am testing.  That way I'll know if it is causing breakouts.  However, I usually go back to the same things that worked before. 

#4.  I have totally got this down.  At 47, I stick with neutral shadows (browns and olive greens), 3 lip shades and 3 blush colors in rust, peach, and nude.  I have purchased a few fun palettes to experiment with on special occasions.

#5.  I do the same thing!  I use a mask on Sundays and a fruit enzyme peel on Wednesdays!  I spot clean my brushes every day and wash them weekly on Sunday nights.  I have wanted to try the BeautyBlender, but haven't yet.

@placaminero - It took me 20 years to learn how important it is to wash my face at night.  I have learned if I don't wash my face tonight, I will pay for it tomorrow!

Thanks for all the great advice!  Even an "old dog" like me can learn new tricks!

jennypenny1995

At 47, NO ONE is an "old dog".  Although, I'll confess I have seen a few 30 something's look like they're about to fall apart while an 80-something is just as cheerful as can be.  Just sayin' attitude is everything!

placaminero

I just thought of another tip that I think is VERY important, but a lot of people forego.. WASH YOUR PILLOWCASES FREQUENTLY!!!!!!!!!! 

AlwaysGlamorous

OMG YES!! Confession: I bring my own pillowcases with me on vacation. 

placaminero

Oh, I've got you beat.. I bring my own pillows entirely if I'm not going to be sleeping in my own bed!

AlwaysGlamorous

That's wonderful. I seriously would if I could. I think I may be high maintenance? :smileywink: I mean, don't get me wrong, I love camping and outdoorsy stuff....but my pillowcase better be clean. 

jennypenny1995

Ha ha ha!!  This made me laugh so hard!  Don't feel bad.  I'm much better with a clean bed than a campsite any day!

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

Love this list! Thanks for sharing :smileyhappy: I couldn't agree more with #2. I remember being 13 years old in the dermatologists office and having my derm explain to me just how and why it was couterintuitive to pick at your blemishes. I guess that's 10 years ago now and while I definitely still break out and see scarring, it is nothing like what I used to experience when I was a "young picker"

jennypenny1995

Same timeframe as me!  I was 12 or so when I started noticing "holes" in my face and picked.  And picked.  And picked.  Now, I'm learning not all visible pores are bad.  Thank you for replying!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 113 replies
  • 195 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • cheeky76
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex