jennypenny1995

5 tips that make my beauty life easier

I wish so badly I'd known these things would make my life easier!  If this helps even just 1 person, that's what I want.  (If my post helps you in any way, please let me know!)

1. Change your mascara with the change of seasons.  We all know we should change it out every 3 months, but who can remember when that was?!  So, I change mine next month as Summer officially arrives.  Then, another new tube in September when Fall arrives.  That way, there's no doubt just how old that tube really is!

2. Quit picking.  (This is where I'm being brutally transparent.)  For years, it has hurt my head to see a clogged pore or a slight white center to an upcoming blemish.  My solution was to squeeze, poke, prod...whatever I could to get it gone.  What I've found is that LEAVING IT ALONE is actually the fastest cure for blemishes and for the overall prevention of them.  I spent so much time in the mornings concealing, blending, concealing, blending, applying powder.  My battle with cystic acne, I believe, is probably a lot of my fault because I was causing absolute chaos under my skin with all that nonsense.  I've not touched my skin for almost 2 months now.  How many blemishes do I have?  Zero.  How much redness do I have?  Very little.  When is the last time I used concealer?  1 month ago.  Case made.

3. Don't reinvent the wheel.  Instead of sticking with the formula of foundation that truly did work for me, I've sampled about all of them.  YouTuber or blog poster raves about a foundation...I'm on it.  I just tossed a BB cream and a CC cream sampler because I felt so compelled to see if this was the stuff that was going to work magic for me, and...wait for it...it didn't.  Back to my foundation (Lancome's Dual Finish) formula and shade that get it right every time!  I've learned that liquid formulas just don't work well for me, so why waste time, energy, and good skin (experienced a few hiccups of blemishes or just "yuck" skin because of sampler situations) to find that miracle product?!

4. Keep it simple.  Instead of having tons of color products rolling around and coming loose from their pans, I have 1 single eye palette (Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Everyday") and 3 cheek colors (Tarte's Dollface, Exposed and then Benefit's Dandelion).  All I do now is make either my eyes or lips the focal point of my look and use one of those cheek colors to brighten my face.  And guess what?  It's simple.  I'm actually using up product before it expires or gets goopy or whatever.

5. Stick to a memorable routine.  I exfoliate twice weekly (Murad's Pomegranate Mask), and I do it every Sunday and Wednesday.  While it sets, I wash my BeautyBlender (I have 2, so this gives me a clean one twice a week).  Once a month, I also wash my face & eye brushes while also doing my BeautyBlender.  If I didn't stick to just those two days for treatments, I'd forget when, then it'd be a week, then a month before I'd realized how time had slipped by without keeping a routine.  It truly does make a difference in my skin!

Hope I helped!

placaminero

Re: 5 tips that make my beauty life easier

My number one beauty tip seems like common sense to most of us.. Washing your face before bed. Alas, I know that a lot of people forego this vital step. I was horrified to learn that my own mother doesn't bother to cleanse before her beauty sleep! I got her some towelettes to keep on her bedside table. It's quick and easy and a great alternative when you can't be bothered to do a full wash.

katie1724

True confession: I didn't religiously wash my face before bed until my mid 20s. How awful is that? Luckily (and surprisingly) I never had skin issues (no real breakouts or dullness, etc.) but I'm glad I changed my ways. (I wore makeup, too, and it's so awful to sleep in those layers of buildup -- I'm at the point now where I hate falling asleep in makeup, even by accident (like on the couch).)

jennypenny1995

How did I ever sleep in it?!  There are days I'm ready to take it off at 4:30!!  Can't believe how I used to sleep in mascara.  And foundation.  And silicone!

AlwaysGlamorous

It's mostly my foundation that I can't wait to take off at the end of the day. I typically reach for my makeup removing wipes as soon as I get home! Unless we're going out for dinner or something, you can find me relaxing on couch, taking off my makeup. I unabashedly keep a pack tucked away in the organizer on our coffee table :smileywink:

AlwaysGlamorous

@placaminero, I make ALL of my "lazy" friends keep wipes on their bedside tables. I know they're all tired of hearing from me how important it is to remove your makeup, etc but it's working because one of them said to me the other day "I'm on my third pack of wipes now! I can't go to bed without taking off my makeup". It was a proud moment for me :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Ugh, I know!  Just a thought, though...I saw Caroline Hirons on the Daily Mix videa on YouTube where she talked about using facial wipes.  Interesting info there!

DTalksAll

Great tips! 

1. I use a label maker & stick the date I opened my mascara on it. That way I know when 3 months is up. 

2. I'm a picker... always was.... I have a horrible scar on my chin from stitches when I was younger. If I didn't pick at it, the scar wouldn't be as bad as it is. I know it's bad, but when I look in my magnified mirror I get carried away. I'm slowly learning self control & stopping myself before reaching for an extraction tool. 

3. YES! I purchased so many BB/CC creams over the past 2 years & only 2 of them work. One I hated when I bought it (the Too Faced air buffed BB), but am trying to make it work. The other is actually a new HG for me; the AmorePacific CC compact. Out of everything else though, they were all flops. I know what works for me during the different seasons and tend to stick to them. I'll purchase something, hate it & then go back to my regulars. Such a waste of time & money

4. I only own 1 blush (NARS orgasm), the rest are deluxe samples like benefit 100 pt perks or included in ipsy bags and Sample Society boxes. 

5. Thursdays are my mask days, Friday & Sunday are deep pore clarisonic days. But I deep clean my brushes more than once a month. I spot clean them after every use, but need to deep clean them every week, or every other week. If I wait a whole month they are nasty and full of germs. 

Daniela1387

(0) Hearts

Great tips!! I have the bad habit of picking and made the mistake of doing so this past weekend now I have two horrible red spots on my face that are peeling and can not be covered up =(. Once these are gone I plan on keeping my hands off my face. Though this is easier said than done >.<

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I know, I know!  But, go read my post on cystic acne.  Just read the emotion Im feeling after getting things CLEAR!  You can, too!

pinklissamel

(0) Hearts

Great advice !!!!! I need to make a good routine and stick to it.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  It makes difference!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@starletta8- Good point about the water, knowing that caffeine dehydrates, you are so right it does no good to buy that expensive product when your not keeping hydrated and caffeine drinks certainly don't  do that.

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

Fantastic post with great advice!  Thank you!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Aw, you're so welcome!  Glad I helped!

jennypenny1995

And, I would also add #6: Learn from the experts.  Lisa Eldridge's videos on YouTube are fantastic about teaching anything from exactly how to pick out a foundation to proper cleansing at night.  I'd also add Caroline Hirons to my search for a breakdown of ingredients that you do and don't need in skin care.  Adore them both!

katie1724

I love Lisa! She's the best...in addition to being incredibly talented (I so wish she could do my makeup just once!), I'm so jealous of her vintage makeup collection, too.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

These are excellent points! I wholeheartedly agree with all of them, particularly your comment about reinventing the wheel. Sometimes the next best thing isn't worth it if what you have is working, you know? Why question it? :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

Yes, exactly!

arielaaaaaaaa

Oh gosh those are great tips. I used to be so bad at picking at my skin. Its so hard not too!!! I really tried to stop and have for the most part. But i do it without even thinking and when i realize it i stop! Ughh it's hard...

jennypenny1995

I know!!  But, I think I've turned that corner.  My skin is in its best condition in a long, long time, so it kind of motivates me to keep my fingers off!  Try it!!

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Your encouragement is very..well, encouraging. I, too, have trouble letting my skin alone, especially when I have an event or a date coming up and I just want everything to go away and look perfect. Of course, picking always makes it worse, and I know that. I'll try to stay strong!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 113 replies
  • 195 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • cheeky76
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex