jennypenny1995

5 tips that make my beauty life easier

I wish so badly I'd known these things would make my life easier!  If this helps even just 1 person, that's what I want.  (If my post helps you in any way, please let me know!)

1. Change your mascara with the change of seasons.  We all know we should change it out every 3 months, but who can remember when that was?!  So, I change mine next month as Summer officially arrives.  Then, another new tube in September when Fall arrives.  That way, there's no doubt just how old that tube really is!

2. Quit picking.  (This is where I'm being brutally transparent.)  For years, it has hurt my head to see a clogged pore or a slight white center to an upcoming blemish.  My solution was to squeeze, poke, prod...whatever I could to get it gone.  What I've found is that LEAVING IT ALONE is actually the fastest cure for blemishes and for the overall prevention of them.  I spent so much time in the mornings concealing, blending, concealing, blending, applying powder.  My battle with cystic acne, I believe, is probably a lot of my fault because I was causing absolute chaos under my skin with all that nonsense.  I've not touched my skin for almost 2 months now.  How many blemishes do I have?  Zero.  How much redness do I have?  Very little.  When is the last time I used concealer?  1 month ago.  Case made.

3. Don't reinvent the wheel.  Instead of sticking with the formula of foundation that truly did work for me, I've sampled about all of them.  YouTuber or blog poster raves about a foundation...I'm on it.  I just tossed a BB cream and a CC cream sampler because I felt so compelled to see if this was the stuff that was going to work magic for me, and...wait for it...it didn't.  Back to my foundation (Lancome's Dual Finish) formula and shade that get it right every time!  I've learned that liquid formulas just don't work well for me, so why waste time, energy, and good skin (experienced a few hiccups of blemishes or just "yuck" skin because of sampler situations) to find that miracle product?!

4. Keep it simple.  Instead of having tons of color products rolling around and coming loose from their pans, I have 1 single eye palette (Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Everyday") and 3 cheek colors (Tarte's Dollface, Exposed and then Benefit's Dandelion).  All I do now is make either my eyes or lips the focal point of my look and use one of those cheek colors to brighten my face.  And guess what?  It's simple.  I'm actually using up product before it expires or gets goopy or whatever.

5. Stick to a memorable routine.  I exfoliate twice weekly (Murad's Pomegranate Mask), and I do it every Sunday and Wednesday.  While it sets, I wash my BeautyBlender (I have 2, so this gives me a clean one twice a week).  Once a month, I also wash my face & eye brushes while also doing my BeautyBlender.  If I didn't stick to just those two days for treatments, I'd forget when, then it'd be a week, then a month before I'd realized how time had slipped by without keeping a routine.  It truly does make a difference in my skin!

Hope I helped!

etscore1

Re: 5 tips that make my beauty life easier

(0) Hearts

I was going to post in the other thread (10 things to know), then I realized that it wasn't this thread and deleted it. 

What I wanted to add - and I apologize if this is old news - but this is the single best tip I've gotten and has helped me immensely in the morning.

For anyone who does a cat eye with liquid liner, start your line in the middle of your lid because your applicator will likely be applying more product, or a thicker line, than you're looking for on the inner half of your lid. Start the line in the middle, work your way out. Make the tail, then finish the inner half of the lid now that your applicator has significantly less product remaining. 

I'm sure everybody has their own way of dealing with the joys of matching their eyeliner application, but this has been a huge help for me, so hopefully it can help out someone else as well. :smileyhappy:

Panda168

(0) Hearts

This was very helpful! Thank you :smileyhappy:!

snowshoe

I've been writing the date of opening on my makeup for 20+ years now.  I started because I'd look at things and not remember when I bought them.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

This has been a HUGE help for me!  Now, the only thing I don't write on is my mascara, which, like I mentioned in my post, I remember (and have fun doing) to do with the change of each season.  = )

annec322

(0) Hearts

That's a good idea

Panda168

(0) Hearts

I'm probably going to start doing this. 

jennypenny1995

You're welcome, ladies!  I'd also probably add something that I've recently started: Use a Sharpie to write the date you opened a product.  For me, I initially did it out of curiosity to see how long it took me to use up a product, but it actually helps, too, to keep track of how old a product is.  ; )

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I do this w/ other things around the house because I want to know how long they last and when to change them - furnace filters and the Sodastream chargers come immediately to mind. 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I do the same thing!  Air filters and refrigerator water filters are a MUST for the 'ole Sharpie!

happygen

(0) Hearts

thanks a lot jennypenny1995 for starting this thread :smileyhappy: and many thanks for all the good tips :smileyhappy: 

irenet

(0) Hearts

Great tips.

1SultrySCENTNut

CABOODLES...these boxes are amazing! ( especially if you can get your hands on a herd of gently used ones from the 1980s into the mid 1990s )I use the newest ones for my make-up that I wear, but my collections I had brought to Ohio with me, I guess for memories, are AWESOME!  Some have locks, some dont..open them and the good ones have mirrors, divided shelves that swing out , usually side pockets inside made of plastic and a deep bottom...when your done, fold all parts in and ...YOUR DONE, ORGANIZED and nothing gets jarred out of place and you have a handle on a stackable box ready to go!!!!!

Now, that makes life easy, they are not very expensive so you can get one to hold lip, eye, face....one for each product type you can think of...plus they look nice and keep stuff outa sight!

makeupmaven

1. Less is more.

2. You are what you eat.

3. Relax.

4. Smile.

5. Do yoga/ exercise/ meditate/ get acupuncture.

All of these just add up to, take care of yourself, be happy, minimize stress, and you'll always look your best!

Plantgarden

1.  Chef prepared meals delivered weekly.

2.  Housekeeping lady.

3.  Mom watches my baby (Stinkbug) while I'm at work.

4.  My sister packs my bags when I travel.

5.  Audibles for books.

Panda168

(0) Hearts

Where can I get that chef service?!? And how can you find a cleaning lady you trust? 

kemoca

(0) Hearts

i know this comment is ancient, but i have question about the meals. do you use a service to do this? any recommendations? is it crazy expensive? 

desertbr4t

(0) Hearts

are you serious? a chef would be amazing!

MsStacey1990

My husband is a chef at a italian restaurant! the food is amazing (*-*).. Hes the head chef and has his helpers! :smileyhappy:

jenjendoitagain

(0) Hearts

Housekeeping lady....Check!

jozkid

(0) Hearts

Oh my, I wish!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 113 replies