jennypenny1995

5 tips that make my beauty life easier

I wish so badly I'd known these things would make my life easier!  If this helps even just 1 person, that's what I want.  (If my post helps you in any way, please let me know!)

1. Change your mascara with the change of seasons.  We all know we should change it out every 3 months, but who can remember when that was?!  So, I change mine next month as Summer officially arrives.  Then, another new tube in September when Fall arrives.  That way, there's no doubt just how old that tube really is!

2. Quit picking.  (This is where I'm being brutally transparent.)  For years, it has hurt my head to see a clogged pore or a slight white center to an upcoming blemish.  My solution was to squeeze, poke, prod...whatever I could to get it gone.  What I've found is that LEAVING IT ALONE is actually the fastest cure for blemishes and for the overall prevention of them.  I spent so much time in the mornings concealing, blending, concealing, blending, applying powder.  My battle with cystic acne, I believe, is probably a lot of my fault because I was causing absolute chaos under my skin with all that nonsense.  I've not touched my skin for almost 2 months now.  How many blemishes do I have?  Zero.  How much redness do I have?  Very little.  When is the last time I used concealer?  1 month ago.  Case made.

3. Don't reinvent the wheel.  Instead of sticking with the formula of foundation that truly did work for me, I've sampled about all of them.  YouTuber or blog poster raves about a foundation...I'm on it.  I just tossed a BB cream and a CC cream sampler because I felt so compelled to see if this was the stuff that was going to work magic for me, and...wait for it...it didn't.  Back to my foundation (Lancome's Dual Finish) formula and shade that get it right every time!  I've learned that liquid formulas just don't work well for me, so why waste time, energy, and good skin (experienced a few hiccups of blemishes or just "yuck" skin because of sampler situations) to find that miracle product?!

4. Keep it simple.  Instead of having tons of color products rolling around and coming loose from their pans, I have 1 single eye palette (Benefit's World Famous Neutrals in "Everyday") and 3 cheek colors (Tarte's Dollface, Exposed and then Benefit's Dandelion).  All I do now is make either my eyes or lips the focal point of my look and use one of those cheek colors to brighten my face.  And guess what?  It's simple.  I'm actually using up product before it expires or gets goopy or whatever.

5. Stick to a memorable routine.  I exfoliate twice weekly (Murad's Pomegranate Mask), and I do it every Sunday and Wednesday.  While it sets, I wash my BeautyBlender (I have 2, so this gives me a clean one twice a week).  Once a month, I also wash my face & eye brushes while also doing my BeautyBlender.  If I didn't stick to just those two days for treatments, I'd forget when, then it'd be a week, then a month before I'd realized how time had slipped by without keeping a routine.  It truly does make a difference in my skin!

Hope I helped!

1SultrySCENTNut

Re: 5 tips that make my beauty life easier

I forgot to mention this when I was talking abount not sharing eye make-up, eyeliners and mascaras ( shadows are o.k. to share )

I was about 8 years old, and my oldest cousin, 3 yrs. older than I, so she would of been 11 and her mom was not around alot and they had massive parrties with highschoolers and even older guys would show..but anyway, her 2 friends Tangie and Meredith were fighting over a guy, I dont remember who..this was the 1980s, but somehow, someone got into my Aunts make up, or so they thought it was my aunts ..instead it was a make up bag by some lady who came home the night before back when the bars had the after party till 5-7 am at the biggest "barfly" of the weeks house. Anyway, both Meredith and Tangie ended up using this blue eyeline and gold mascara and they both got MASSIVE EYE INFECTIONS ! I remember meredith recovered after many months, but Tangie lost her right eye over this infection and It was actually a bacterial V.D ( sorry, STD these days ) that was part of the infection, not all off it. It was tainted with Syph. and some other mucous membrane bacteria ( hey, it was the early 1980s...It hard for me to remember last week these days..lol ) So girls, please be very cautious with any WET type eye make-up or anything that touches a mucous membrane!

linda711

willis.jpg

love2shop42

image.jpg

Panda168

O.O

kemoca

this is basically the best comment i have ever read. 

m3rma1d

OprahSideEye.gif

CuriousCannibal

Basically my face right now. 

emmaclaire

THIS SO MUCH THIS

stephyd216

I can't even...

ladymeag

Mine would be:

1. Label your open and toss dates. I keep a stack of those colored-dot stickers in my case, along with a pen, and some clear tape (it helps hold the sticker on, especially round products.) When in doubt, toss it out. 

2. Buy quality brushes. That doesn't mean buy expensive brushes, I mean quality brushes. Do a little digging, find what kind are going to be good for the types of products you tend to like and invest what you can. Good brushes can make an iffy product a little better and a great product a dream. Bad brushes can make an iffy product a nightmare and a great product seem problematic. 

3. Test multiple methods, colors, and styles - no matter what anyone tells you is "best" for your skin type, tone, style, or whatever. I was afraid of certain foundation application methods for years because a serious high-level pro told me it was an "absolute no" for someone with my skin type. After struggling with not getting the finish I wanted, I gave up and picked up a brush and wished I had done it sooner. Try brush, applicator, wet applicator, hands, dry shadow, wet shadow, with a base, without a base, shimmer when you're over whatever age is popular to say it's a no at this week, bold/bright lips with bold/bright eyes. You'll learn what you like, you'll learn what works for you, and you'll learn why the rules are there and how to break them with style, when you want to. 

4. You don't have to match brand-for-brand but you do need to match ingredients. Oil and water don't mix - we all know this from the salad dressing in our fridge, right? But we forget it when we put on makeup sometimes. Your primer and foundation should match or complement one another. 

5. Read your labels. You read your food labels, right? You know what's in there and how many calories it has - you should know what's in your makeup, too. You'll learn what products that bother your skin have in common. You'll know what to tell your doctor when something goes wrong with your skin and they ask, "anything new?" It's worth it to know - it'll also help you rule out products without having to spend money to test them. 

happygen

thanks so much for all those great tips ladymeag :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

1SultrySCENTNut

OH....almost 1 BIGGIE that I forgot to add :   NEVER EVER SHARE YOUR EYE LINER OR MASCARA WITH ANYONE ! Also, if you are sharing your powder or lipsticks, stop by the Dollar store and pick up a bag of throw away applicators..DO NOT SHARE MAKEUP APPLICATORS..the Dollar stores usually always have a bag of throw away applictors for a dollar or under and you get 20 or more of them. Spending a dollar or 2 is better than ruining your make up and ruining your face. NEVER SHARE EYE MAKEUP do to the fact that it is wet, will hold bacteria and it can cause some very nasty infections or can lead to blindness....NOT WORTH SHARING, if you are in an emergency and need something, are low on funds and not close to home, go get that $1 or $2 dollar make up that will work in a temporary emergency...if you dont keep it somewhere else in case of another emergency, toss it and purchase another pencil or mascara!

heatherbee

Has anyone seen people in Sephora using the lip products straight from the tester to their lips?  Man, that stuff grosses me out.  Imagine how many people use those products.  Or how many people will swatch on their hand, and then someone will come along and put it on their lips.  

upload_5415190412657208373.gif

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

Nooo.No no. No. Nope. This does not happen. People do not do this. :smileysad:

heatherbee

(0) Hearts

They do, I'm afraid.  It's awful to see.

ladymeag

I agree - makeup cleanliness and safety are so important!

Pencils can also be wiped down with alcohol, sharpened with a cleaned sharpener, then wiped down again and be generally safe to use. Anything with a dip wand should not be shared - that goes for store testers, as well, the store should be cutting the built-in wand off so that you can use a disposable instead. Mascara should be tossed every three months or so, anyway, so keeping it around after an illness or for an emergency might not be worth it to you. 

Wiping down lipstick with alcohol will help in case those disposable applicators get double-dipped; when in doubt, you can scrape a layer off with a razor blade, You can help shared powder products be safer by spraying them with alcohol and letting them dry - of course, it's safer not to share, if you can avoid it. Brushes can be cleaned, as well - lots of pros on YouTube have videos about how to do this. Using a clean brush every time will help keep your makeup generally cleaner if you're sharing it or think you might. 

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

You said it CORRECT and STRAIGHT TO THE POINT !

:smileywink:

VTK084

(0) Hearts

Love #3 especially.  I too have tried tons of BB's/CC's, Naked Skin, etc.  Chanel works for me plain and simple.  Don't change.  Experimentation is for eye shadows and lips. 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

AMEN!!!  If it's not broken, why fix it?!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

This is kind of "Part 2" to my other post.  Happy skin, ladies!

lilahtov

Jenny, these are fabulous tips. The only one I have is, if you're on the fence about a product, wait until you can try it out in-store. Every order I've placed online for something I wasn't sure I'd love I've returned. It never hurts to test and sample!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 113 replies
  • 195 hearts
  • 49 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • cheeky76
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex