sarhstdr

which shade of blonde will look best with my skin tone?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I am super bored of my hair. I like something that really commands attention. I usually go red, but this summer I'm thinking blonde. And yes, I would keep the dark brows. I dont understood skin tones because I always get told something different. I'm pretty dolled up in this picture, but its the only nice recent shot I have. I need help. Thanks.38899_1508775965073_6383675_n-1.jpg

EmilyDoer

Re: which shade of blonde will look best with my skin tone?

(0) Hearts

very cute

beautylovingirl

@makeupmaven- I think she would actually look really good leaving some of the red in since it does play up her eyes so well.

makeupmaven

Lots of great suggestions here, but unless you normally color you own hair (looks great in this pic) I'd recommend seeing what your colorist has to say (your eye color is so pretty and unique, I'd want to see something that plays that feature up)..photos can help a little for guidance, but your colorist will take your current color, skin tone, desired look (and what may require the least amount of maintenance) into account...sometimes you may have an "in between" period where she is gradually bringing your hair up to your desired shade (minimizing damage and making sure you like where she is going...may not be perfect during these in between shades but better than moving too quickly with an odd result).

Just curious (this can be a hard question if you've been coloring a long time), what is your natural color?

sarhstdr

Its a light ash brown (according to my colorist) however, there are a lot of blonde natural highlights. And yes, there is so much feedback! i'm so impressed and thankful with the sephora users! 

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I agree with autobiographer's suggestion you could also go with 3 different facets instead of two.

modbod

you could definetly pull off very light blonde with dark brows....it looks very sharp on fair complexions...please remember this color will require big time maintenance and make sure you do go to a professional....one who specializes in color. VIP (preferably blondes) Good luck!.

autobiographer

I think you could easily pull off a multifaceted shade of honey blonde like Emma Watson's. 

sarhstdr

funny that emma watson has been posted twice on this thread, she's my girl crush! lol Emma Watson and Stone are my blonde inspirations. Thanks for the reply

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

oh, i really like these colors a lot! 

beautylovingirl

@roxystar- You look super adorable with the golden blonde hair.

roxystar4

thanks! I bleached it and then toned it with a golden blonde color.

beautylovingirl

@arielaaaaaaaa- With you being a hair dresser I'm sure that you have seen some blond transformations that have went bad, it's ok sometimes to do it yourself but that drastic needs to be done by a professional the majority of the time.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

i agree. I think I am soooo nit picky and wanted to do it myself because I had been talked out of it by previous people doing my color. I did have one colorist offer to do my hair double process for $120 - this was back in 2003. I was still in college and didnt have a lot of $$ to spare to continue to go to the salon for maintenance. OH! I forgot to tell everyone. Back when I was in college I tried to go blonde (this was 4 years before the pics I posted). It was after my re-growth came in on one of the sets of highlights I told you about in an earlier post. I used a box dye from the grocery store. BIG NO NO- my hair felt like tacky and goopy after and I had to get it restored professionally.

A few years later I was still wanting to be blonde so I researched going blonde for months and did test strands first (something I think a salon would benefit from doing first before a double process to see how fast the clients hair bleaches out).  I would not recommend anyone to do it themselves unless they have someone coaching them (I had a 40 year veteran professional colorist tell me how to do it step-by-step).

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

When I was blonde, I would do my eyebrows too (facial bleach VERY VERY carefully for 5 minutes on my brows). It really lightened everything up a bit and then I would fill them in a little with a eyebrow pencil.  I am not giving any advice just telling you what I did.  I dont know about your coloring, but I liked a golden blonde better for me vs platinum.  I did it myself and was super careful and did A LOT of research and had coaching from a professional colorist along the way. I was really particular about doing my roots without over lap and did them every 3 weeks.  I feel like if you want to be blonde, can afford the upkeep- go for it.  I had so many hairdressers tell me "just get a lot of highlights" but that was not what I wanted. I wanted to be blonde. I was blonde for about a year and 1/2 and it was so fun (this was about 5 years ago).  I started dating my now husband and he likes brunette better so I went back to brown. 

Very light pale blonde VS golden Blonde: (I didnt hate the plat blond)

240_510003867450_5055_n 2.jpg

184_508162203160_3784_n 2.jpg

122_507019867410_3622_n 2.jpg

120_11152445415_3459_n 2.jpg

Please go to a professional colorist that you TRUST. some do not know how to do double process well. Some are just shy about doing it cause each persons hair is different and they dont want to cause breakage etc. Maybe do you have any friends who have gone blonde and have a top noch colorist who has done a great job on their hair?

For me, I did like 5 test strands with different brands and was very careful with timing before I even attempted to do my whole head.

Hope this helps.

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

oh and it is really high maintenance so really consider that before doing all over blonde :smileyhappy:

Also, bleach is damaging. I had to use several  different products to stregthen my hair and make it look shiny/healthy.

Lastly, I had tried to go blonde 2 other times at a salon and the stylists talked me out of it and into getting a full head of highlights. (this was a few years before I went totally blonde).  I was displeased with the results of the highlights BOTH times. One time the highlights were just Terrible and underprocessed. The other time the highlights were done well but just not what I wanted- i wanted to be BLONDE! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Good info, Roxystar!!! And might I say, you carry being a brunette and a blonde off very well! Your coloring/tan when you had the golden blonde suited that shade too!

roxystar4

thank you so much lylysa! I had so much fun being blonde. It was back when I lived in southern CA so I was more tan then. I am paler now (im WAY more careful with sun exposure now).

arielaaaaaaaa

Well There is alot to consider. Your brows are dark, so think about it, blonde hair with really dark brows. Its not the best combination. Sometimes you can make it work. And Before i make a suggestion are you going to get it done professionally, or do it yourself?

sarhstdr

i'll be having it done. I just like to go in there with a plan/have time to think about things first.

arielaaaaaaaa

Okay i was hoping you'd say that! I think you should go for a medium/light brown with blonde highlights. A full on blonde is a huge change, and hard to achieve since your hair has red in it. As a stylist, when someone comes in wanting to be blonde and they have dark/of red hair, I tell them it's not going to happen over night. Some people may go for it and tackle it, but i am more on the safe side, i will highlight it and go as light as we can without causing damage, and then tone out all the orange that comes out when there is red in the hair. Usually we get to a medium sometimes light brown, then the next appt i do more highlights and try to get them blonde. Most people are completely shocked with such a drastic change. They love it but realize they want to go back. It happens wayy to often. Be sure your ready for it! If your stylist can get you blonde then go for it. But my suggestions is heavy highlights, so you can alot of dimension in the hair and it's not boring. I hope this wasn't too completely off from what you were looking for. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 33 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • modbod
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4