which is better, dior or chanel

I want to try Chanel makeup but sephora doesnt carry it. I was thinking Dior would be a good alternative but, idk I feel like for the price Chanel's quality might be better? I've been using mac studio sculpt foundation in nc25 and im in love, nothing has ever made my dry, dull skin look better. I was thinking about buying chanel or dior setting powder. I used lancome's setting powder and it lasted me the summer but it didn't really do its job of setting my makeup and it looks bad under direct sunlight. which is usually my problem :smileysad: 

Re: which is better, dior or chanel

I've tried a lot of Dior and really do like it....I'm sure Chanel is a bit better though and they are around the same price point. The dior lipbalm crème de rose was very very expensive, and I didn't like it nearly as much as my $7 rosebud salve, but their lipsticks, glosses and eye shadows are amazing.

If you want setting powder, you need Guerlain in your life. :smileyvery-happy:

FWIW, in my opinion:

Eyeshadow: About even between Chanel and Dior, Dior has a wider range of palettes right now.

Eyeliners: I've tried waterproof formulas from both, Chanel gets the edge- but MUFE/Urban Decay are actually better than either of them

Mascara: Love the LE colored Chanel mascaras, but in general Dior wins, hands-down

Blush: Chanel has some amazing formulas

Lipsticks + Lip Glosses: I could scream if you made me decide between the two. If forced to do it, I give the nod to Chanel. I've got far more Chanel than Dior in my collection for a reason

Nails: Chanel. The Chanel shimmer, anyone? They set the colors everyone's duping for years.

Skincare: I have loved every Dior product I've tried; so-so on many Chanel products

I absolutely concur with all of this.

Foundation- Both. I used the cream to powder Chanel for years, it's light coverage but easy to work with. Lately I've been repurchasing Dior Airflash over & over again. 

Eyeshadow- Toss up. Chanel lasts longer & is more pigmented, Dior has a better range of colors. 

Eyeliners- Chanel, but their shadow sticks suck & crease & aren't waterproof

Mascara- Dior

Blush- Chanel

Bronzer- Chanel, the mousse... ah to die for!

Lip- Dior I miss the DiorKiss lipgloss! That was hands down my favorite lip gloss I had every shade & every LE shade. I still have a few tubes of my faves that I stocked up on. If it weren't for YSL glossy stains & NARS lipgloss I don't know what I'd do. I have a few of the Dior serum rouge & really like the texture. Chanel lipgloss is too tacky for me. Reminds me of MAC lip gloss

Nails- CHANEL hands down! I own so many of them & try not to use too much of the LE ones. 

Skincare- Neither. I like a few Chanel items, my mom uses mostly Chanel. Dior tends to have a lot of waxes & fillers that are unnecessary. I rather use a product that works than make my skin "look" better. 

P.S. Guerlain setting powders all the way! Meteorites & compact! 

(0) Hearts

Ahhh ysl glossy stains are my new obsession.. and guerlain meteorites all day every day.. Even their skin care is incred! i just  got issima midnight secret and its ahh-mazee

I've always refused to spend more than $10 on nail polish because my nails just attract dings and chips and my self applied manis never last long at all. But I'm dying to buy some Chanel polish... I've had my eye on Taboo ever since Temptalia did a review on it, but I can't even fathom spending $30 on a polish.

swfupload_8400186865397693635.jpg

I'm gonna have to just suck it up and buy it, haha

(0) Hearts

... I just bought this bc of this picture lol and before that i laughed at $25 nail polish.. So yeah im with u... Sometimes u just have to have it and nothing else will do... Its like trying on a BCBG dress for a wedding and then expecting to find something similar in forever 21... Not going to happen... and yes i bought the dress lol wont make that mistake twice... Oh boyy... at least its $30 and not $300, right? :: hides in pillow ::

I just got it - and when I had it on, I kept looking at it!  It really is like a galaxy in a bottle..swfupload_5289625087195338765.gif  This is the only kind of glitter nail polish I have ever liked and unlike other ones, it glides on like a cream polish

Taboo is a color I think I'll always lust after and never buy. It's so gorgeous but I already have 2 really similar colors and I can't justify having another purple polish!

(0) Hearts

@dannyc - have you gotten any of the newer Chanel nail colors?  I just got Elixir (I think it's new)....

(0) Hearts

No new ones yet. I'll probably pick some up next week. I'm trying to be good. & I hate how they say a shade is LE & then they add it to their permanent line. 

Dior is an amazing foundation! I tried the perfection lumier by chanel but I didnt like it as much. Diorskin forever has a beautiful finish! :smileyhappy:

YAY!!!! Another Dior Addict...WHOO HOOO! ^_^ 

Before I go addicted to Sephora, I used to purchase all my  makeup from department stores that carried both chanel and dior - I've been to the chanel counter twice and I have no major complains, but I keep going back for dior. I don't know why, but I do...

And now I buy a lot of makeup from Sephora, and I don't really find myself missing Chanel

oh - and by the way, I got my sister who swore she would never buy anything pricier than drugstore makeup addicted to the dior foundation! Is that good :smileyhappy:

Amen Sista!

@poshified, what color do you wear in the guerlain powder? are they fairly translucent ?

(0) Hearts

You're right; they're pretty translucent. I'm an NC27 and I can go either 02 or 03, but I stick to 02 all year round :smileyhappy:

I can't be team one or the other. Dior makes beautiful eyeshadows but their face products -- for the most part -- only last 4-5 hours on me. Chanel's face products hold up well throughout the day, although their eyeshadow quads could use a little tweaking. For a good setting powder, comparable in price to both Dior and Chanel, I highly recommend the Guerlain pressed Meteorites compact. One of the best purchases ever for me :smileyhappy:

I love all things Meteorites! The pressed is perfect for touchups or to even out skin tone on those lazy days. 

The pearls are by far my favorite setting powder & there's just something about the whole process of applying them that makes me feel pretty. 

Are the pearles sufficient as a setting powder? I always thought of them as just a pretty way to up your complexion but if they're actually a great setting powder I might have to try them.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • swfupload_1407666714492645832.jpg
  • swfupload_8400186865397693635.jpg