teri2lyn

to shimmer or not

I am 56 yrs and would like to know the rule about wearing eye colors with a shimmer.I am not talking about frost or glitter but I usually prefer matte colors  sometimes I feel they are somewhat heavy looking and I need something with more dimension. I have heard :smileysurprised:lder women should never wear shimmer makeup whatsoever.Please set the record straight.

kssweetheart

Re: to shimmer or not

(0) Hearts

@mbertieg - you are so right in re: eye makeup with glasses. My sister has the same issue and you do have to really work to get things just so.

re: mention of highlighting cupids bow...sooo right. I actually do a tiny bit of IT Cosmetics Bye-Bye Undereye Concealer all around my lips, I'm White, crazy white! and the concealer is just pale enough that it brings a little light to that area. It helps your lips look a speck poofier and also keeps lip products from bleeding and migrating from your lips. Most highlighters will work/ Also in the inner corner of your eye, kind of where your tear duct is, just a speck of light shimmer there brightens and opens your eye up. Also, bringing concealer up inside the inner 'corners' of your eye, hard to describe actually, but if you look you can usually see there is some darkness or shadow right where you'd pinch above the tear duct. Does that make sense? Do one eye and then look in the mirror and you can usually see a big difference, I know I can. :smileyhappy:

oklady2013

Yah, I gave up no white shoes & bag/shoe matching thing about, oh 40 years ago. LOL. Those rule makers should all be deceased by now any way. Phui.

mberteig

I agree with the others, wear what you like!  I'm an "older" lady and I love shimmer and glitter!  I like glittery eyeshadow (I wear glasses that make my eyes look smaller than they really are, so I try to make my eyes pop), and a glimmer highlighter on cupids bow, cheekbones, and browbone.  

kssweetheart

I didn't read all of the posts, there were so many, and I say 'ditto' to the ones I read. My personal opinion is that real hardcore glitter can be a bit much, and not just on somebody who's older, but on someone who overdoes it. Shimmer, glow etc. - Awesome. You might want to try something from Bareminerals, they have the All-over colors and Radiances which give a little glow. You could put a 'glow' product on under powder or mix with your foundation - there are tons of them. I also think you could contour and put a subtle shimmer just above where you apply blush and over the eye and on your brow bone and other areas, especially on your décolleté!! Mally Beauty has some nice blush and highlighter sets and some with a darker contour color. Benefit has huge buzz over their Luminizing products, High Beam and some others, haven't tried them yet. A totally matte face can work for some people and not others regardless of age, sometimes it can age even a younger person, just depends on your coloring and the specific brand and/or color used.

My only real major issue is with lips. I do not like a dark or matte lip on very many people, some people get it just right and can totally rock it. I'm younger than you are and could never really wear a matte or darker shade of lipstick because I'm super white. I think it ages almost everyone and as the years roll by and leave tire tracks on our faces (How Rude! )I think that is a Huge mistake. A brighter, lighter, shimmery glimmer (maybe even glittery) Lip can instantly take 10 - 15 years off of a person.

I do think you should treat yourself to a makeover consultation. Watch for the brand you like and the way the woman behind the counter is made up and even her age. Maybe someone a speck older could be more helpful and really understand the challenges we face as we age.

Best of luck and I really hope you'll come back and let us know how you make out, okay? You got some Great opinions here, especially, do what you like and what makes you happy {unless it's matte, dark lips :smileywink:  } Rules are meant to be broken! Hope this helped and looking forward to updates from you. :smileyhappy:

janinebt

It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with! I often find that most women over the age of 20 have a tendency to go for a finer shimmer i.e. a satin finish :smileyhappy:

Below are some of my favorite satin finished products that will give you that finer glowing shimmery finish.

Naked 2 Palette

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ChicDabbler

Ok, so I'm only a 20some so it's just an observation. When I see an older women, I could care less whether they are wearing matte, shimmery or glitter. What I do notice is how well they apply/wore the makeup. I mean, as you get older it's only natural you get wrinkles and creases, but a smudgy panda eye look bad on everyone regardless of age. When I see ladies with makeup, I think "oh that color looks good on her" or "that's a nice liner shape", or sometimes "wow...spider eyelashes....that's a lot of mascara...." or "is that....a smoky eye or did her eyeliner smudged and she didn't know?". I never think "oh she's too old to wear this or that". I've never seen an older lady wearing glitter, but if you can make it look good like the pictures someone posted below, then by all means go for it, and if I see you I will compliment you. As long as you know your way around makeup, there's no age difference.

kittichick

I say find your OWN rules. Figure out what works for YOU! Try mafan's suggestion of booking a consultation or makeover at a store, to help get an idea of what you like best.

emmaclaire

I think that's a bogus "rule," and if you like shimmer, glitter, or frost you should feel free to wear it with confidence regardless of your age!  

If your personal preference is a slightly satiny finish (not quite matte but not necessarily shimmery) I'd seriously look into Edward Bess palettes - Sephora has a number of neutral palettes and they're gorgeous.

oklady2013

What rule? If there is any such rule, I say rules are made to be broken. I'm several years older than you & wear a mix of matte & shimmer shadows very often.  I do occasionally wear  all matte eye  shadows but almost always add a bit of shimmer in eyeliner. I say wear what you like.

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

The rule from the same group that says don't wear white after labor day :smileywink:

Rebels Unite!!  lol

kittichick

Pfft. That Labor Day rule is totally archaic. That and the whole Match Your Bag To Your Shoes thing. Way old-fashioned.

teri2lyn

Boy you guys are all making me feel great I feel 10 no 15 years younger just reading your replys. I had been thinking I would have to give up all of my favs just because the years said I had to.I have very few lines and/or wrinkles and look very good for my age I could  pass for 40 easy but I am proud of my age and my life experience.Now I will be more confident with a little shimmer in my eye and a glow on my cheek Thanks All

CaitlinBrunson

Never give up something you love because of other people! If you like something, rock it! Heck, if you wanted to go around looking like a rainbow disco ball, I'd say do it if thats what you liked! 

anaa

I am a few years older than you and I use shadows with shimmer.  I use Perricone's acyl-glutathione eyelid serum and have no issues with crepiness on the eyelid.  I don't have a lot of wrinkles in the eye area in general but everyone has some.  I don't put any stock into recommendations made for "older" women unless they are made by "older women".  Most of my shadows are Urban Decay, Too Faced and some bare minerals.  I do like matte shadows used as liner. 

annonymous1

There is nothing wrong with wearing shimmery eyeshadow, my mom is 53 and whenever i do her makeup i use this like mossy-green color with gold shimmer and it looks beautiful.

like what @txmommyofboys said, there are no rules, if it looks good on you do it! 

txmommyofboys

I am a FIRM believer that makeup "rules" are crap. If things look good on you, and make you feel better, rock them. This is coming from a woman who has birthed 3 babies, is 32 & still wears a bikini though :smileytongue:

Nicrohr

even at under 35, I avoid "glitter" and heavy shimmer for daytime at least -- however, I do like a subtle "glow"!  I like to have a little shimmer on my inner eye corners, browbone, or middle of my lid to brighten things up.

I think slight shimmer also softens wrinkles and signs of aging, can brighten one's face, and makes you look more awake.

If heavy mattes are feeling chalky, I say try some subtle shimmer.

I actually am currently using Hourglass Ambient Lighting powders as highlighter AND as eyeshadow, because it is a super non-glittery light reflector.  I don't usually recommend crossing product areas, but this had just the look I was going for, so I did it.

Bare Minerals Well Rested highlighter pen is a very subtle highlighter in a liquid consistency if you like that kind of thing - however, it's hard to layer and is best for low-makeup days.

You could also try a pearlescent cream shadow or "shadow base/primer" as a shadow.  These are usually soft finish and not too glittery.

I say try some subtle shimmers and avoid glitter in daytime, but feel free to go more glittery at night!

That being said, whatever makes you feel great in the end! :smileywink:

veronika23

(0) Hearts

I don't think there's any "rules".  I think if you like a color and it's a shimmer finish and you feel good about wearing it, wear it!  Do whatever makes you feel beautiful! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

When I first got into makeup just a few years ago my favorite eyeshadow brand was Stila (especially Kitten, Starlight, and Diamond Lil) and I could wear those everyday and feel fine about it.  Now that I'm almost 40 I noticed that I've been staying away from those beloved shades because the shimmer really highlights any fine lines and dryness on my skin.  I feel really sad about not being able to wear as much shimmer as I used to.

This prompted me to search for a new favorite brand of eyeshadow and found Laura Mercier...very nice, ladylike and gentle luster, not the "hard" shimmer of Stila or UD.  Also in 2014 I'll be going on a mission to find the perfect matte palette.

kittichick

"in 2014 I'll be going on a mission to find the perfect matte palette"

Can I come with you? :smileyvery-happy:

What have you tried so far??

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • mberteig