teri2lyn

to shimmer or not

I am 56 yrs and would like to know the rule about wearing eye colors with a shimmer.I am not talking about frost or glitter but I usually prefer matte colors  sometimes I feel they are somewhat heavy looking and I need something with more dimension. I have heard :smileysurprised:lder women should never wear shimmer makeup whatsoever.Please set the record straight.

drrragon

Re: to shimmer or not

(0) Hearts

@kittichick -- I'm a newbie when it comes to mattes!  My only all-matte palette is The Balm's Meet Matt(e) which was an impulse buy.  It's not bad, but could use a better distribution of light/dark shades.  I end up needing to supplement with my own all-over-lid and blending shades sometimes which gets a bit annoying.  

The other one is the LM Artist Palette which is half matte.  Those are not only well chosen but the colors show up nicely and don't disappear on me or look patchy.

Definitely have been keeping an eye on Stila In the Know and KVD Ladybird.  Maybe Lorac Pro? Oh and there's a new one coming out by IT Cosmetics that looks pretty good, I might see if Ulta carries it by the time their spring 20% sale rolls around!

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

I have the little crow's feet on the edges of my eyes, sometimes if I apply something with shimmer it makes them show more, but some shimmers don't.  So there are plenty of shimmers I will wear, even to an office workplace.  It's all about what you want and like!  :smileyvery-happy:

CaitlinBrunson

Its makeup, you can do what you want! Personally I think a little shimmer on the lid or inner corner is perfectly fine! I more just don't care for shimmery crease colors (thats on me or anyone!) I like a good contrast in my makeup. In terms of it settling into fine lines, use a primer and that should take care of it. Personally, I really like a glowy sheen on the middle-aged group. 

To get deep and philosophical on your. Its makeup, its art. Do what you want to! I know we all want to look good, but if you like it, that is all that matters! 

SydBristow

Caitlin, I love what you said!  It is art, I love being creative in the mornings and doing something different every day.  :smileyvery-happy:

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Thanks! It is what is fun about the whole thing! 

calamityjane85

THERE ARE NO RULES :smileyhappy: Be happy and confident in what you wear. Try different looks and if you like what you see then flaunt it!! upload_6144888398726362756.jpgupload_7825682187998362189.jpg

mimibel

(0) Hearts

Oddly, if I wear just a little shimmer, it does settle in lines but if I prime, use a shadow base and then pack it on damp, not tentative but really press it in, THEN blend the edges... I can wear it. I like frost, glitter and colors, I'm going to wear them, but shimmer, especially duochrome or reflects is my fave. They will likely bury me in UD Oilslick and  Grifter though. 

#shimmerthuglife #over40

gingerblack

(0) Hearts

As mentioned below, if you like to look of something you should wear it! Mature women can wear whatever they want if they like it.

If you are worried about it settling into uneven skin maybe just try it on the lid instead of the crease and lid.  Or not :smileyhappy:

You should try playing around with a few new looks and see what you like best.

mafan

I'm going to be 50 in about 3 weeks. I usually have some amount of shimmer in some of my eye shadow.  But I think you really need to look at the shadow and see how much glitter/shimmer there is in it.  I love Stila's Kitten but it has so much that you have to be careful.  The shimmer in the Estee Lauder Christmas Blockbuster set is totally different (and nice), and the Laura Mercier Artist's Palette is different again.

I don't think there is a rule that says you can't wear it.  I know I don't plan to stop unless I think it doesn't look good.  I think a bit can really add dimension to the eye and is nice with my eye shape. 

You're Rouge.  Are you near a store?  Book a makeover appointment and tell them you want to work on your eyes and you're interested in shadows with some amount of shimmer.  If they're good, they'll give you options, try things and let you tell them if you like it or want to try something else. 

Just remember that if you're not used to it you need to give it a bit of time.  Look at it a bit later when you've seen yourself a few times (or ask a friend you trust) and see what you think.  I know for me my favorite shadows are taupes with a bit of shimmer (but never glitter).

I also think subtle highlighter is great.  Not glitter on the cheeks, but a bit of a glow is very nice.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Booking a makeover appt is a great idea!! I'm 40 and have been thinking about the same shimmer issue.

I'm going to do that. :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

I'm only 31, but I find that shimmer does tend to settle into fine lines and wrinkles, if you have them. In areas where I don't have any kind of fine lines, shimmer still works as a great highlight and color item. In areas where I do have fine lines, like around my mouth, shimmer will migrate and settle in and highlight those.

I agree with the previous poster - wear what makes you happy! 

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I say wear whatever feels good and makes you happy, no matter what that is or what others say you "should" do.  It's only makeup:  it washes off at the end of the day.

That being said, I can see how shimmer could emphasize fine lines and that may be why older women tend to steer clear of them.  You may want to play around with the level of shimmer as well as with how you apply the shadow, to see if you can come up with a good look for you.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 22 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • teri2lyn
    • annonymous1
    • drrragon