blueeyed97

struggling with acne help???

hi, i am 15 years old and i have been struggling with acne for a couple years now and i just can't seem to get rid of it. any suggestions on what could help??? i have normal to combination skin( i think)  its the worst on my cheeks i have red scarring covered by new acne. and all the makeup in the world cant help cover it all. i just wanna get rid of it and have nice clear skin like everyone else so any suggestions on good products that could help?? (benzol peroxide tends to work better for me then salicylic acid it that makes any difference)

thanks

dianabt

Re: struggling with acne help???

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi blueeyed97,

You mentioned that you have been struggling with acne for a few years now- If you have tried a lot of different items with no luck, I truly recommend that seeing a dermatologist is your best bet for a solution that will work to clear the acne once and for all rather than continuing to try products that may not work!

That being said, there are definitley a great amount of and variety of items to try- if you do decide on a skincare product, try a starter kit like those by Murad or Peter Thomas Roth that will have all the basics you need to start the path to taking care of and treating the skin. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
seeingblue

(0) Hearts

The clinique 3 step system for combination oily skin helped clear up my acne, Ive tried benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid treatments and for some reason only Clinique does it for me. Every night I cleanse, then use a toner and moisturizer and it has helped my skin tremendously! That being said I still get occasional hormonal breakouts usually right before my period. I agree with others advice, it'd be best to see a derm if you find that no products are helping...if the problem is hormonal a derm will have better advice for you! I hope this helps!

peacefulseraph

(0) Hearts

I used to have the same problems before I cut out products with alcohols and sulfates. I use Clarins Cleansing Milk with Gentian, and Clarins Toner with Iris. These two products changed my life! I also use Mario Badescu drying lotion on my individual bumps. For moisturizers, I use Origins brand. My skin is very sensitive to what products I use, and out of hundreds, these worked. Also exfoliate twice a week. Leaving dead skin cells on your face is literally feeding the bacteria that are living there.

jennypenny1995

Murad.  Def Murad.  Also be sure to use just 1 product daily with salicylic acid in it.  It's not for drying up existing pimples but to keep your pores unclogged so you never even develop them.  Make sure everything you put on your face is oil-free, too.  And you want to be GENTLE to your skin, since that can make your skin manifest ugly, angry issues just to show it's upset with you. = )

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Look at the Murad Complex Acne kit and it has all the products you need to help clear your skin and keep it clear. Hope this helps!

morgan898

(0) Hearts

I really recommend a dermatologist. They can give you medication that is much stronger than Proactiv or anything over the counter. Most of the medicines come in generics and are quite cheap (I spend about $30 a month for 3 different things - 2 topicals and a pill). I regret waiting so long to go to the dermatologist because I have scars now.

But, if a dermatologist isn't an option, I really recommend Clean & Clear Continuous Control. It has benzoyl peroxide of 10%, which is one of the highest concentrations that I have found in OTC products. Then the Acne Solutions foundation for Clinique was really compatible with my acne ridden skin, I didn't cause major breakouts like other foundations did. 

drrragon

(0) Hearts

i actually had great success with proactiv and it worked for me when nothing else did.  I don't quite understand why it gets such a bad rap, because it has the same ingredients as other acne medications from multiple other brands.  The cleanser and lotion contain a low amount of benzoyl peroxide.  The toner contains glycolic acid and witch hazel.  I can see how if your skin isn't used to these things and you blast it all at once, you could have a bad reaction, but phasing it in slowly over time should help your skin get acclimated to the new ingredients.

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to not use Proactive, because not only will it not work, but your skin will become so dependent on it, your skin will get worse. Of course every person's skin is different, but it was one of the worst skincare regimens out there. Anyway, whatever you choose, I would say give the skincare regimen at least 6 weeks before quitting. Furthermore, don't think one product will change your skin. It takes a village of skincare products, like a cleanser, treatment, moisturizer, and sunscreen. I think it's easy to buy an acne kit (I've had success with Murad and Philosophy), but over the years, I've learned to find what works for me and what doesn't. Just because a kit doesn't deliver results, it doesn't mean you have to throw out the whole kit. Try to weed out what in the kit works for you. I would also try glycolic acid if salicylic acid isn't strong enough. I hope this helps and good luck!

wingatprsct

Have you tried Clinique Acne Solutions 3-step formula?  They really helped my son clear up his acne.  The cleanser and the toner have salicylic acid but the moisturizer has benzol peroxide.  Whatever products you use, the key to controlling acne is being faithful in keeping your skin clean, morning and night, and not being too abrasive which only aggravates it.

It would help if you could go without wearing makeup while you're trying to clear your acne.  Also, keep your cell phones clean (possibly why your cheeks break out) and try to keep your hands and hair off your face.  You need to consider other products you're using such as shampoo/conditioner and makeup.  Baby shampoo has the least harmful ingredients. In the shower, be sure to wash your hair and condition before you wash your face.  Neutrogena Skin Clearing Makeup is oil-free and contains salicylic acid.  They also offer a blemish concealer with salicylic acid also.  It helped my skin when I had acne.

Using a scrub also helps with removing dead skin cells which clog pores, but be careful how often you use it.  Also, acne products can be overly drying.  If you start to see some redness and dry patches, skip the toner in the morning.  Always moisturize!

If drugstore and cosmetic store products still don't help, you really should consider a dermatologist before there is too much scarring.  They can provide oral medications and products with higher concentration of acne medicine.

Good luck!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995
    • beautylovingirl