Answer
lolav
rosacea skincare for over 50 skin?

I am 57 and have rosacea with frequent breakouts. Yet I have a tendency for dry skin in areas around my eyes and forehead. What products would you recommend for moisturizing and skin care? I currently use Bare Escential make-up for coverage of blemishes. I feel it is safe for my acne, also. Is this product too dry for my skin-type?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
projose
Answered

Hola lolav,

First off the Bare Escentuals Bareminerals is one of the very best things for your skin.  It's like feeding your skin while making you look gorgeous.  And to answer your question, it doesn't dry out the skin since it is crushed minerals versus a talc or silica based makeup which is use in traditional makeup that come in powder form. 

I would recommend the hydrating Mineral veil as an accompanying product as it will add luminosity and hydration to the skin:

Bare Escentuals Hydrating Mineral Veil, $20

As far as a skincare routine goes, you'll want to pass these products by your Derm first, and I'll think you find them to be great addressing your skin concerns.  With Rosacea, the skin is in a sensitive state so gentle yet effective natural ingredients tend to be the way I go as well as superb protection since the sun contributes to a breakdown of our largest organ, the skin.

Here are some products that have worked particularly well for my clients with similar concerns in the past:

Clarisonic Mia™ Sonic Skin Cleansing System, $119

Clarisonic Replacement Brush Head Twin-Pack — Delicate ($50 Value), $40

Murad Time Release Acne Cleanser, $30

Shiseido Pureness Balancing Softener Alcohol-Free, $24

Murad Acne & Wrinkle Reducer, $58

Jurlique Calendula Cream, $35

Kate Somerville EradiKate Acne Treatment, $22

All of the products are listed in order of application.  The last one which is a spot treatment should only be used at night time. 

The most important things to consider when purchasing products for the details that you have shared are:

1. Gentle yet effective cleansing is essential - any debris, makeup, and surface dead skin cells will contribute to the blemishes
  2. Hydration is key, NOT additional oil - since oil combined with dead skin cells and bacteria are what bring about the blemishes.  So toners work exceptionally well to balance the pH level of the skin allowing for optimal hydration with out heavy moisturizers and with the pH more balanced, the skin is less sensitive to the environmental factors that affect our skin.
  3. Hydrating acne products are a must - since most acne driven products are designed for skin that is very oily.  It is so common that adults with acne use products that are for adolescent acne and then their skin dries out and overcompensates with more oil and eventually breakouts with dehydrated skin (or more sensitized skin)
  4. Rich soothing creams that are NOT comedogenic (meaning it doesn't clog pores or create a inpenatrable barrier) are important because you need to soothe and and create a breathable barrier for the Rosacea so that it doesn't become more inflamed.
  5. Sulpher is ideal for adult acne when spot treating because it soothes while it dries out oil.

Additionally you may want to consider increasing your anti-oxidant levels in your supplements as well as your omega fatty acids.  Both in tandem will protect your skin cells from dehydration as well as fend out oxidive stress that happens at a cellular level. 

Here is an amazing investment to make in addition to your skincare routine:

Perricone MD Skin Clear Dietary Supplements, $80

or

Perricone MD Omega 3 Dietary Supplement, $35

I would love to hear back from you.  Please feel free to send me a private inbox message with how it goes or if you have additional questions.  I'm always open ears when it comes to what clients love best and what has worked for them.

Best.  J

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • lolav
    • projose