anniris

oily skin dilemma

i have pretty oily skin-- my nose is always shining. i want a glow, but not a greasy forehead and nose. how should i control the oil?

RandeeBT

Re: oily skin dilemma

Hi anniris,

I recommend using bareVitamins - Skin Rev-er Upper underneath your moisturizer in the morning. This product has a serum consistency and I have found that the antioxidants and glycolic acid in this product really help control oiliness without removing the natural glow and radiance of the skin. :smileyhappy:

Best,
Randee
ElaineLiv

This is gonna sound really weird but Josie Maran 100 percent Pure Argan Oil Light.
imgres.jpg
I have oily T zone as well, my skin is super sensitive and acne-prone.
I've try many products but most oil-control products either make my skin looks super dry or just doesn't work at all. :smileysad:
I was told oil is the best way to balance oily skin, I was skeptical at first, putting an oil on my face with my already oily face?? It just sound really weird yet I gave it a shot, and after I tried this I fell in LOVE!!! This stuff is just AMAZING!!!!!For the first time in my life I didn't wake up in the morning with a super oily face, my face is just soft, moisturized and has a healthy glow.
It is very light, absorbs quickly doesn't leave me oily and never made me break out! In fact, It has not only helped curb my breakouts it heals discolorations and scars!! been using it for 4 months now, I noticed my skin getting smoother, clearer, and has a youthful healthy glow. LOVE THIS STUFF! ! !
Because it's very light I use it both day time and night time.You only need about 3-4 drops, a little goes a very long way.The small sample sizes lasted me about 3 months, now I have the large one it felt like it would never run out. :smileyhappy: The sample sizes (0.5oz) is only $16.00. Try it ! See if it works for you. :smileyhappy:

FYI: Why oily skin types should embrace face oils: "When skin is stripped of oil or is not properly replenished with natural oils and essential fatty acids, it continues to produce more oil," says Leube. "The best way to restore balance to oily skin is to use lightweight treatments that contain pure organic plant oils. By doing so, skin's sebaceous glands can slow down natural oil production because the skin is replenished with the natural oil it needs to stay healthy and clear."

michelleshops

(0) Hearts

Do you use it in lieu of moisturizer?  Before or after a serum? I also have sensitive, acne-prone skin and I want to try Argon oil but it scares me! Sorry for all the questions!  My moisturizer is running low and I'm thinking of replacing it and you clearly love this stuff!  

ElaineLiv

(0) Hearts

I use it after any other moisturizer but sometimes when I feel lazy I only use it by itself :smileytongue:

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

I Michelle, I used the argan light in lieu of moisturizer for almost two months (can't answer serum question as I don't use one). I have really sensitive skin due to rosacea and prone to acne also. I never noticed any breakouts from the deluxe sample I had, but overall was on the fence about it. Last week I picked up a BM moisturizer and I'm ecstatic about it instead and used the remaining argan in my hair ends. Now that I can rave about. :smileyhappy:  

michelle164

(0) Hearts

I have combination skin with an oily T zone as well, as many of the commenters have said the moisturizer definitely helps with excess oil. After trying so many products the things that have worked out the best for me are the Murad Oil Control Mattifier and the Bare minerals foundation.

The Murad is amazing because its a moisturizer, an SPF, and mattifier, so with one product after cleansing you are good to go.Plus its light and no smell (I hate face products with added perfumes), I stopped using it when I ran out and 3 days later my skin was like an oil slick never again! 

The Bare minerals both original and matte formula are amazing, I used to have to carry blotting papers all the time now I can go all day without an extra shiny T zone. 

smith2874

I have extremely oily skin as well- and honestly I have found the most effective way to combat oil is to use the Smooth Operator  Clay Finishing Powder (tarte) over my foundation (right now I am using Makeup Forever matte liquid). I ALWAYS carry a bare minerals compact with me wherever I go- and this does a fabulous job when I get oily. Once I apply this bare minerals on oily skin I am oil free for a very long time after!

I have struggled with oily shiny gross skin forever- and I am still searching for a perfect liquid foundation- however the tarte powder and bare minerals compact are LIFESAVERS! Trust me- you will not be disappointed. 

http://www.sephora.com/smooth-operator-micronized-clay-finishing-powder-with-pm20-P266113?skuId=1261...

http://www.sephora.com/ready-foundation-broad-spectrum-spf-20-P375784?skuId=1456045

jemly

[ Edited ]

moisturizing is so important. regardless of time of year, skin type, skin problems, etc. i think introducing a moisturizer twice a day (after cleansing morning and night) would help you a lot. i imagine your skin is overcompensating with oil because it's very thirsty, especially if you're using a foamy drugstore acne wash and not moisturizing afterward. something as simple as neutrogena oil free moisturizer would work. always moisturize after you cleanse. and don't worry, not all moisturizers are the same. they are different weights for different needs. 

if you want to step up your whole skincare routine though, check out First Aid Beauty products. i think they're great. and i can recommend a routine for you if you'd like.

lachaton

(0) Hearts

You mentioned oiliness on your nose and forehead - is your skin oily anywhere else on your face? Or is just those two areas? 

Can you give more details about your skincare routine (do you use a cleanser? What kind? Do you exfoliate - if so, what do you use? Any other masks/serums?)

anniris

(0) Hearts

Haha, I'm not very experienced with all these skincare products. I don't use that many skincare products, to be frank. I have an over-the-counter acne cleanser, but nothing special. It actually doesn't really work well. As for exfoliating, I don't exfoliate that much. (I'm pretty new to this stuff, as you can tell!)-- I actually need a lot of help regarding a skincare routine for oily T sections. 

My face is usually very oily around the forehead and nose area. The T section, basically. But, as for other areas, like my cheeks, I don't find that many oil issues. 

lachaton

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Your skin sounds similar to mine! I've had a similar problem with oiliness on my t-zone (really just my forehead and nose). I thought I had oily skin and was using products to try and combat that... but it was actually only causing more problems. After getting some advice and suggestions here on BeautyTalk, I was able to start using different skincare products and it has helped my skin so much! 

TrysBeautyItems has given you some excellent advice on moisturizing. A good moisturizer can make a big difference for your skin, even if your skin is oily! I'm using Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel in the morning (which I'm actually going to switch out for something different once I'm finished with it) - it's a gel texture, so it doesn't feel heavy or oily on my skin at all. There are other similar moisturizers to that, so you can find one that works well for your skin. The point being that it a moisturizer doesn't have to be thick and rich. In the evening, I was using Korres Wild Rose before bed (which was nice but maybe a little too rich for my skin). I've since switched to Korres Yogurt Advanced Sleeping Facial and I'm very happy with it. It absorbs really well into my skin overnight, and keeps my skin healthy and soft. Personally, I've been liking the Caudalie, Fresh, and Origins brands for skincare. I know First Aid Beauty is recommended by many people, as well. 

You also might want to look into a new cleanser. I used to use a tea tree one for acne/oiliness as well, but it was too harsh for my skin. I was over-stripping my skin and so my skin was overproducing oil because it just wasn't getting the hydration it needs. I'm still searching for a great cleanser (I'm going through small sample sizes right now). I've had some luck with the Bosica Detoxifying Cleanser. 

I exfoliate a couple times a week, which seems to help with my skin tone and acne. I like to use my Clarisonic Mia at night for that. But there are other physical and chemical exfoliants, as well. 

But focus on changing one item at a time. Don't switch everything at once, that way you can see what's working for you and what doesn't work. 

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Philosophy totalMATTEness serum. Only a small amount needed, light upward strokes where needed, let dry, then moisturize, and you're good to go.

What skincare are you using?

anniris

(0) Hearts

I try not to use that much moisturizer in the summer. In the winter, however, I use Elizabeth Arden Hydrating Cream. I'm pretty basic when it comes to skincare. Do you have any recommendations for getting rid f acne on the forehead and black dots on the nose?

Also, when do I put on the serum? 

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

All skin needs moisturizer, any time of the year..just a different form. Gels are lighter weight for the summer.

• Clinique moisture surge gel - don't be scared with the name it's a comfortable moisture not over doing
  • Korres pomegranate gel-cream - for more oily skin to balance it out
  • Estee Lauder daywear spf lotion - not a gel, but made to balance out more oily skin, it is lightweight and absorbs well

Acne - I don't use over the counter products as I'm sensitive to the typical ingredients, however the rx Aczone (dapson) topical gel, got rid of everything quickly without dryness, which typical ingredients can do

Nose - it's not blackheads rather sebaceous filaments

Here's one of my comments about these

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Blackheads-scrubs/m-p/1510086

In general, products go from the lightest to heaviest consitantcy

cleanser

toner (optional)

serum

eye cream (if used)

moisturizer/spf

Are you using the Elizabeth Arden Hydrating Cream since your dry/flaky in winter or dehydrated?

anniris

(0) Hearts

1. Thanks for moisturizer help :smileyhappy: The only problem is that I don't really like moisturizing for the reason that my face feels heavy every time I use the Elizabeth Arden. 

2.What exactly does toner do? 

3. Elizabeth Arden is used on my dry/flaky cheeks in the winter. 

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

To answer 1 & 3: Elizabeth Arden sounds like it's too rich for you, since of the heaviness feeling. The moisturizers I listed wont feel heavy. You may just need a hydration booster, with or without a lighter-than-EA's moisturizer on top. A hydration booster is a liquid that keeps the area where applied feeling comfortable and deep hydration, here's a Sephora option

http://www.sephora.com/clinical-concentrate-hydration-booster-P385773?skuId=1609312

Toner, there's different types and application methods. Some are used after cleanser to remove any grim left over from washing, some contain acne/anti aging etc. ingredients, some are for hydration. Typically a toner (liquid) is swept on with a cotton ball and left on the skin so the ingredients can get inside the open pores before they close.

Side note: Noticed you're using an acne cleanser, they don't stay on the skin long enough to get the acne ingredients deep into the skin, you're better off just using a treatment product.

Back to toners, some are in spray form, to refresh the skin throughout the day.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • michelleshops
    • michelle164
    • lachaton
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • smith2874
    • RandeeBT