hallenicole28

oily, acne prone skin with hyperpigmentation...foundation and primer suggestions?

I have really oily acne prone skin and scarring. I have tried the Tarte Amazonian Clay Tinted Moisturizer so I could let my skin breathe and I was hoping it wouldn't  leave me so oily by the end of the day but it did. I'm looking for a primer that controls shine and oiliness, and a foundation that is medium to full coverage that doesn't leave me feeling oily by the end of the day. Any suggestions?

fran11

Re: oily, acne prone skin with hyperpigmentation...foundation and primer suggestions?

I agree with the others on the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation. It has really nice coverage and stays matte. It can be a bit heavy if you are not careful though, so if you do go for it, start off lightly and build up coverage as needed.  I also highly recommend the Make Up For Ever Matte Velvet +.  I prefer it to the Tarte one because it still gives great coverage and stays matte but isn't as heavy on my skin. I am wearing the Tarte one currently because it marches my tan and my Matte Velvet + is too light for me right now!

Anyway...the best primer for oil control that I have tried is from the drug store. I really love the Neutrogena Shine Control primer. It is like 1/3 the cost of my former fav from Smashbox and works a lot better at keeping my face oil free!

Hope these suggestions help and good luck with finding your perfect products :-)

SarahShameless

Re: oily, acne prone skin with hyperpigmentation...foundation and primer suggestions?

Sephora's brand of anti-shine makeup primer is actually really good. Also, smashbox used to have a really good antishine primer too, although i dont know what's happened to it...maybe you could ask a sephora employee if they could recommend anything similar to that. tarte has a primer called clean slate poreless that's pretty good. it's natural, no parabens, etc, and it has a lot of natural extracts in it. just be careful which foundation/concealer you pair it with, because sometimes it can start rolling off your face depending on what's used before/after applying it. i havent used a primer in a long time, but if i wanted to start again i'd go back to the sephora one. it was a good price ($20 i think) and it lasted a LONG time and it worked well. not sure if it's paraben-free though, if that means anything to you. a foundation i really love (but will be switching away from as soon as i finish it off) is Makeup Forever Matte Velvet. its AMAZING. not the fullest coverage because i have to wear concealer underneath, but you can build it up as much as you want pretty much, and it never looks cakey and it never feels heavy. ALSO it provides good coverage without it even looking like youre wearing makeup! it looks so natural its almost insane. and it feels really soft on your face too! if it were paraben free i'd use it for the rest of my life honestly. but yeah, i've tried the tarte amazonian clay, and the coverage for that is better, however the shade selection is somewhat limited, so its not as easy to find a match as it is with makeup forever. it is paraben free, and it is full coverage though. i think i'd actually like it more than the makeup forever if they had more shades to choose from. 

in addition, i also tried a little bit of the kat von d lock it tattoo foundation. i havent worn it all day, but i can tell it's definitely mattifying and full coverage. its paraben free, but its also pretty thick in consistency, so not a good idea to use very much (which is a good thing i guess because itll last longer that way.) if you want to look natural.

mxcx

I like the Tarte foundation that lylysa suggested, but it did make me oily even though I really liked the feel of it. I have super oily skin that's prone to scarring and hyperpigmentation too, and the only combination I've found that really works for me is Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer topped with Hourglass Immaculate Foundation. The foundation is a medium coverage, so you will need a separate concealer to conceal blemishes and spots, but the duo let me stay oil and shine-free for 10+ hours, even in 100+ Las Vegas weather, which is unheard of to me since I usually get oily about an hour in. The foundation also has skin-benefiting and anti-aging ingredients, so that's a plus on top of it being fantastic as a foundation. (: The Mineral Veil Primer is really amazing too, and I find that the two work best together (I've tried both without the other). 

lylysa

Try Tarte's Amazonian Clay liquid foundation, it has a matte finish that is natural and noncakey, and is formulated to help mattify skin and control shine better than the lighter weight tinted moisturizer. It's amazingly long wearing and can withstand conditions like oil to even high humidity. You can also try a powder foundation, which will help absorb and control oil quicker than a liquid. Tarte's AC powder foundation gives lighter coverage on initial application compared to their liquid version, but can be built up and won't look dry on skin.

Tarte's stick concealer is also water proof and contains AC to suit oily and acne prone skin. It's creamy consistency makes it easy to blend over an assortment of issues from discoloration to blemishes. To help give you some tips on properly concealing a blemish, check out my post in the below thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/Concealer/m-p/585831#M5659

As for primer, try Givenchy's Mister Mat, Benefit's Porefessional (which can also be tapped over make up on skin to absorb oil throughout the day without using blotting sheets or powder), Lorac's Porefection, and Too Faced's Primed & Poreless. If you want a silicone free prime to control oil, try Korres' Pomegranate Mattifying primer or Becca's EverMatte (which can also be used like Porefessional over made up skin). For a primer that specifically address oil and acne, Cover FX has their Mattifying Primer with Anti-Acne Treatment.

You can also look into mattifying balms if primers just don't cut it. Layer them over moisturized skin on the spcific areas that get super oily and check out products like Peter Thomas Roth's Anti Shine Gel, Urban Decay's DeSlick in a Tube, and Smashbox's Photo Matte Anti-Shine (newer item so check Smashbox's website). In addition to that setting sprays to seal make up and prolong wear are beneficial. Urban Decay has an assortment (DeSlick made specifically to combat oily skin), and MUFE and Kat Von D make variations as well!

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • fran11
    • SarahShameless
    • mxcx
    • hallenicole28