RMOR86

not happy with makeover at sephora

I feel bad even writing this...and I'm not trying to offend any of the girls that work for Sephora. I just want to know if anyone else has had a bad experience with a makeover at Sephora. I went there yesterday for foundation, concealer and blush. She offered to try some products on me. I don't know if it was her or the lighting, but the concealer she had used (becca creamy concealer) was SO ORANGE on my skin. I am super pale, and I don't know why she thought it looked good. Then she tried a MUFE concealer under my eyes, and it was ghostly and all you could see was my purple bags. Next we moved on to foundation, and she still couldn't get a color right. So now I am totally clues as to what skin tone/IQ I am :-( A little disappointing. Do you know if they take makeup training classes like MAC does, or is it just basic application? Thanks for any feedback.

Shaelynn

Re: not happy with makeover at sephora

(0) Hearts

I know I got this makeover once, the eye look was nice and I use it regularly. But the foundation was just dreadful. My skin had been prepped and had been catered to my dry, dehydrated skin....or so I thought. They changed the skin care products on my face twice and even used a special product to make my skin look less dry with the makeup. I was mortified when I looked in the mirror at my house. My skin had never looked so dry before. I'm asking for medium coverage next time. And drinking more water now.  

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I think that in most cases, nobody is going to apply makeup like we do to ourselves, so it tends to look heavier. I had this happen just last week at the "other"" place when picking a color of BM foundation. By the time she was done testing colors and then applying all over to blend, it had about 5 times more makeup on my face than I ever would have put on myself! :smileyhappy: I never like how my stylist does my hair, either--the cut is fine, but she just doesn't do my hair like I do, and it doesn't look right.  OH well....

itscarin

(0) Hearts

Yeah... I think most of us have had bad experiences with "makeovers" at Sephora.  Personally, I've never had a good experience with a makeover at Sephora... but I think I've limited it to about 3 or 4 "makeover experiences" with Sephora in my over 15 years of shopping with them.  To be fair, I've only had 2 other makeovers outside of Sephora -- one was at MAC and the other was at Chanel.  The Chanel one was very good, and the MAC one was just ok.  I've had downright nasty makeovers w/ Sephora though.  I know it's hard to do makeup on other people, and most of the sales associates are not trained as makeup artists so they're in tough position.  I think the problem is compounded by the range of brands that are offered at Sephora.  Anyway, I think if you want a really good makeover you have to go to a department and go to a specific makeup counter.

njattana

(0) Hearts

I've had a comparable experience, I wouldn't say the experience was bad but the result wasn't professional. She asked me what I normally use and just put that on my face when I had asked for a more specific look. I personally love Sephora, but if I'm going to get my makeup done professionally I always go to MAC. 

Annalily11

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I got bombarded at Sephora once by a woman desperately trying to get me to buy Dior products. I was in the chair having stuff put on  my face before I even knew what was happening. She threw about four thousand things on my face, the foundation and BB creme that she insisted were "perfect" made me look like an oompa loompa (it wasn't even oxidation, my friend standing there said it looked bad right off the bat), and there were brush streaks left all over my face. I left rather unhappy. 

Luckily, all my other experiences have been pleasant, and often quite helpful, it was just that one woman who was a dud.

RMOR86

(0) Hearts

no need to put a complaint it, the girl was super nice and was really trying to help. it just didn't go well. but thank you!

dianabt

Hi RMOR86, 

I'm sorry to hear this! The majority of our cast members DO need to attend specific Sephora training that covers skincare, makeup, fragrance and hair care ( I myself had to attend it as well for a weeklong course). Also, some may have more enhanced skills or overall familiarity than others do with products. 

I would always send my client outside with a mirror after doing a color match so they could see it in the natural light and how they liked how it would look-I was fortunate to be in a store that was on a busy street and not inside a mall with the synthetic lighting.  Color matching can be tricky if you are not so familiar. I suggest going back (maybe even to another location) to try out the Color IQ machine and find your direct color match. 

Like Randee suggested, we can gladly forward a store complaint over if you wish for us to do so!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
jen81

(0) Hearts

I have rarely gotten a good makeover at Sephora or elsewhere.  Foundation or powder is always way to orange or dark.  I usually wear the lightest color or shade.  I think it's because the lighting is so different inside.  Went to return something yesterday and a young girl was getting a makeover and I could tell that it was way too dark! If it's a good makeover it seems like they apply to much product and it's caked on. 

RandeeBT

(0) Hearts

Hi RMOR86,

I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with the makeover you received at the Sephora store. 

As far as I know, all of the makeup artists who work at the store have to go through a training before they start performing makeup applications on clients. Was the lighting in the store off a little? I know how frustrating it is when a foundation is too dark on your skin. :smileysad: Please let me know if you would like me to forward your feedback to our retail division. 

Best,
Randee
dolceloure

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've had a few makeovers at Sephora -- all at different locations. Twice they turned out pretty great, but on one occasion I was kind of disappointed b/c the application was sloppy and really overdone. I remember asking for a smokey eye, but she did it craaaaazy smokey...and she caked on a ton of lipgloss over a ton of lipstick...I had to ride the metro home after my makeover and felt soooo embarrassed about showing my face in public, lol. And on top of that, I was a little annoyed that she didn't seem keen on explaining the step by step application, or give me that makeover sheet where they list the products they used.  

At my other two makeovers (which, incidentally, were at Sephoras in smaller, less metropolitan cities) I was super happy with how they turned out. They listened to what I wanted, were happy to explain their techniques/make recommendations about how to do those looks at home on my own, and overall just took their time with it, which I really appreciated. 

RMOR86

I have a wedding to go to Aug 16th, and I just booked an appt with MAC. I've never seen a girl with bad made up face leave there. I am going to be smart, like you guys said, and bring pictures of exactly what I would like done, along with a few key things that NEED to be done (color matching, and blush application) i'll let you all know how it turns out. And as far as the lighting goes...how misleading! We had tried Becca's Mineral Blush on me in "Song Bird." It looked AMAZING on me in the store, and today...I look like I've been rolling around in the mud. LOL ...AT LEAST IT'S FRIDAY!!! :-) 

Spoiler

lylysa

I've always told clients who were unsure of color to venture outside a store with a mirror and have a look in natural light. I know it sounds odd and even like an extra step that shouldn't be necessary, but it's one that have save a lot of headache and time spent trying to return or correct things.

DiVWA

Lylysa, my local JCP Sephora SAs all know me and know that I take their mirror outside. I'm always taking it outside. Sometimes one of the SAs comes along to see which colors look the best. I always wonder if there are security people who see me and shake their head and say "there goes that lady going outside with the mirror again." LOL One Sephora SA instructed me where exactly to stand inside the store for the light that's closest to "natural light." But going outside is so much easier and I make fewer mistakes that way!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

I'd much rather be known as "the lady with the mirror going outside" (who also in turn ends up being "the lady who walks away with fewer color mismatches") than "oh jeez, there goes the orange, Oompa Loompa lady again" :smileytongue:

DiVWA

Oh I wouldn't feel too badly about this, except that you didn't find any product that worked for you. Most of the makeovers I've gotten over the years have been a "miss" for me. One time when I had rosacea bad this gal at the Estee Lauder counter decided I had pink tones so used a pink-toned foundation on me. Needless to say, that was all wrong. LOL The last makeover I got was at Nordstrom's and surprisingly, turned out badly because the foundation that the beauty stylist used on me was sold out, and he talked me into buying a different one that was "just like it" -- I think he just wanted to make a sale and was too lazy to order it online for me--and the foundation I bought was super orange. I tend to now use the counter people and SAs for help in just one product category at a time because that's a slightly better chance of success.

I probably don't make you feel any better except know that everyone else has been there. Maybe try again or experiment on yourself with various products first, and then ask opinions. I ask opinions of anyone around (even other customers) and the SAs and find I get better help that way and then, they can help by reducing my list of candidates or providing some info about a similar product.

heartsmyface

I'm pretty sure it's the grotesque lighting in store and not the girls.  I 've wondered why they don't have nice natural lighting in there.   I think it's so we look extra good when we try things so we buy more.  

my friend and I went in for chic week and they colour matched her for her makeover and we laughed so hard cause the girl applied a full face of some orange foundation on her really pale skin.  She was sat near the hallway for her makeover so it was really obvious it was wrong seeing her in the different lighting there.  My makeup turned out pretty awful as well.  I asked to be contoured.  i thought it looked alright In there but once we left and I saw my reflection in a hallway mirror I ran to the washroom to remove it!   Haha, yeah. 

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

You can't really teach someone how to spot an exact skin colour, they have to learn it themselves. Application is obviously taught, but some of the advice these people make are kind of funny... they're normal people like you and me, some (most) didn't even attend a makeup academy, they're self taught with some in-store teaching... so you gotta give them a break.

lylysa

Sephora does offer trainings for employees along with specialty opportunities when a brand dispatches a vendor for brand and product education to provide more focus and detail on the line itself or perhaps new product launches; however, having make up application or experience in the beauty field is not a requirement to be hired.

In terms of the make up appearing orange on you, it's possible it may have oxidized in the interim of the application to it settling on skin and perhaps she didn't notice or just didn't want to admit to the occurrence. Either way, I'm sorry to hear about your make over going in a less than positive manner! It's very spot on of your to notice and mention the lighting too, indoor and even the make up station lighting can be drastically different than natural lighting where it can be easier to get a better idea of how products and colors may look on skin. 

During the application did she at any point talk things out or through with you, kind of like a step by step guide? Did she say anything along the lines of, "First we'll start by color matching, I'll apply some swatches and we can see which shade appears to be your best match then apply it all over based off that. What color do you find works best?" or did she simply grab items, apply them, then do a "Ta da! You're done and all set!"?

You can really find that artistry in associates (whether it's at Sephora, Ulta, MAC, or a department store) can be very hit or miss as they aren't just "beauty" focused but rather also retailers. I certainly hope this won't deter you from ever seeking a make over service, in the future, try to inquire with associates if there's a certain employee or artist that specializes in what you're looking for ("I have a huge issue with being color matched because of how fair I am, is there anyone that is a foundation-matching genius or pro that everyone seems to turn to here?" or "I've never tried colorful shadow before and I want to know a way to incorporate it into a more natural eye, but I'm worried it may look odd, is there anyone who's a whiz at blending shadows or works well with both natural and bright looks?") so that way you get paired up with someone who can better assist and have a leg up on the situation. Also, don't be afraid to speak up and be vocal. If you're not happy with something, or if you've noticed oxidation when it occurs, let the artist know. Boiling it back down to retail, if you walk out making a purchase feeling obligated because someone spent time on your face or if you made a purchase because someone was pushy and you wanted to hush them up, that sale will be no good as you'll bring it back for a return/exchange or if you keep it, the product will essentially just go to waste. I always advise folks to bring visuals and references if you're going for a specific look or want, saying "I want something dramatic" or even "I like pink blush" can mean two totally different things to you and the artist you speak with. 

If you need assistance or advice for color matching, there have been some great threads as of recent where myself and other users have chimed in on the matter (even address oxidation too), let me know and I can pull those up for you!

Girly2Shoes

Far as I know, they are trained in makeup application, how much I don't know. My biggest beef has been that at my local store, I don't get treated fairly as a man who loves wearing makeup. About half of the Sephora ladies won't even say hi. 

lylysa

Girly2Shoes, I want to let you know how unfortunate that is for me to read. 

When I used to work in the beauty and retail world there was a gentleman who would venture in and wore women's clothing, jewelry, shoes, and the whole nine yards. He was never rude, loud, or made a scene, but I was told he would come in even prior to my working there and how none of the associates would dare say anything to him. I did get a mixed bag of reactions when associates informed me of him, some where just merely in awe and couldn't bring themselves to say anything to him while others flat out told me they didn't want to approach him because of how he decided to carry himself.

Eventually I was working when he came in and I approached him asking if he needed assistance. He was very soft spoken and polite, even taken a bit back that I would speak to him. I was able to help him find products that he needed and asked for my name and said he would come back and ask for me because I was so kind. He did do so and each time he was more and more open, he would share with me things about his personal life (from him at his "boy-job" to how he feels when he gets to wear make up and dresses) and he even began to take more confidence in his appearance by beginning to wear wigs (it was very adorable when he asked me to help him choose hair accessories to wear out one night and even had me fashion them in his hair), wear flashier heels, and even have more fun with fashion.

My coworkers took notice, to me, he was just like any customer that needed help, regardless of being a man or woman. My job was to provide great customer service and that's what I believed in doing, whether it's a woman looking lost in an aisle looking for a perfect eye liner or a man who's debating between which shade of lipstick would look best, someone needing help is someone needing help.

Another gentleman once called in stating he was coming in from out of town and wanted to see if someone was available (and comfortable) doing make up on a man and working with beard blocking. I consider myself fortunate to have been working that day and the associate who took his call referred him right to me. Again, another pleasant gentleman who wanted to know how to better conceal and block out his facial hair (ohhh that five o'clock shadow :smileytongue:) better for when he wore make up.

Even if it takes you being the first to bridge that gap and give a friendly "Hello" and a wave, I hope your in-store experiences improve and change for the better!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 56 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • itscarin
    • jen81
    • dianabt
    • njattana
    • lylysa
    • dolceloure