valorie

need makeup help for acne concealment

Hi i am forty four, very fair and dealing with an extreme breakout of cystic acne on my chin. it is raised, angry and welt like. i use makeup for ever blue primer followed with a green stick, cargo concealer and mufe foundation. i also use cargo powder to set it however, it is still painfully obvious and am looking for some other makeup ideas. it is hard because it isn't one specific pimple but rather a mass. any suggestions?

beautylovingirl

Re: need makeup help for acne concealment

(0) Hearts

When trying to cover a large pimple the more concealer and makeup you apply it is going to be more obvious, take a small brush with a fine tip and lightly conceal with a good coverage concealer like amazing concealer and only dab foundation and powder to even out those spots with the rest of your face. Hope this helps!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Not sure if you meant "Amazing Cosmetics Concealer", but if so, that formula does contain mineral oil which may or may not make the issue worse (depending on skin type), but for cystic acne, I would avoid formulas with oil.

It sucks because the ACC is awesome for discoloration and dark circles, but the mineral oil aspect makes it not the best option for acne prone skin.

Smashbox, Kat Von D, and MUFE make oil free liquid concealers that are highly pigmented!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I did mean that, it is formulated with some mineral oil but that's not it main ingredient it's formulated with vitamin A so it provides the skin with hydration and not too much oil. That way when covering a blemish it doesn't look all dried out which makes them so much more noticeable.

beautylovingirl

Yeah I know what you mean but having the vitamin A is also like a healing factor in it, not many concealers have that, I know the severity of cystic acne I saw all kinds of it, I worked for a dermatologist for 12 years. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

:smileyhappy:

Kudos to you, girlie! I like your brains!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Oh, I agree that the formulation feels nice and it's not a dry, cakey finish liquid. It's just for someone with cystic acne, I wouldn't even chance putting mineral oil on. If it's was just a mild blemish, sure, but cystic acne is more severe and it's better to play it safe than sorry. :smileyhappy:

glamorousgirl11

Placing a lighter concealer underneath the pimple will help with the shadows caused by the raised pimple :smileyvery-happy:

dianabt

Hi Valorie, 

I know how hard it can be to conceal a grouping of breakouts, particularly cystic acne, and unfortunately theres no truly flawless way to disguise them due to their texture and appearance.

I think you might want a really good heavy duty concealer like the Kat Von D Tattoo concealer (apply it with a brush!) which is super pigmented and heavier to really conceal and cover the blemishes. Adding a loose powder on top can be a little less obvious than say a  pressed powder but this will help to disguise it a bit  more. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
valorie

thank you!  yes i have meds from my dermatologist for the acne but am probably due for a revisit. i will check out your suggestions.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try using a smaller concealer brush too, that way you can get a more precise and direct application and won't overapply.

Laura Mericer makes a great one!

http://www.sephora.com/secret-camouflage-brush-P109959?skuId=870832

browncow

[ Edited ]

There is a girl on youtube who models, and has cystic acne. She did a video of how she covers her acne, here:

browncow

Uhh, yeah, so my link got deleted b/c it's not allowed, apparently. If you go to youtube and search for "cystic acne makeup DiamondsAndHeels14", the video should come up. "DiamondsAndHeels14" is the youtube user. The title of the video is "Foundation Routine Flawless Skin"

lylysa

It's possible Sephora is back to not allowing outside links to be posted in threads. They initiated this rule a while back but then I noticed it changing when all the new changes were made to the forum.

You can always send the OP the link through a personal message!

browncow

Oh, ha! I didn't even think of that. Makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

No prob, when I first started on BT I tried to post a link and it wasn't working, the mods here were very nice in explaining things out to me.

I know they're still working on revamping and correcting a lot with the new layout and design so I'm sure more changes will be coming soon.

:smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

That YouTube poster had gotten some press during last year for her video.

She tops everything off with MUFE's HD powder, one of the top selling silica based powders on the market! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Are you undergoing or using any treatment for your cystic acne?

I would personally be sure to check in with a doc to see how to best deal with cystic acne as it's on a different level than regular acne and you don't want to step in the wrong direction of product or treatment and make things worse.

Murad makes an acne treatment based stick concealer that can help, it's a creamy, high pigmented formula so you don't have to layer on as much. Blend it down with your complexion with a brush to avoid spreading oils from your hands/fingers back to the area.

Though there's no way to really conceal the physical shape of a blemish, too much product layered will catch shadow and only emphasize the problem spot more, use a silica based powder over it. Silica will warp and bend light around imperfections like blemishes, fine lines, wrinkles, and even enlarged pores to minimize the appearance of these issues so they're not as aparent in person and especially in photos. A tiny bit goes a long way, use a fan brush to gently sweep the powder over skin, no need to buff it on as its meant to "lay" on the skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • valorie
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • glamorousgirl11
    • browncow