triaalic

m dWhat's the difference with these two foundation brushes, and which is better?

[ Edited ]

I'm deciding on which brush to purchase, but I'm not sure which is better.  I'm currently looking at Sephora Collection Pro Airbrush #55 and the other Pro Flawless Airbrush #56. What's the difference between the two?  Which would be better suited for, I guess, liquid foundation and mousse foundation? Thicker cream foundation and mineral powder foundation? Trying to achieve that "airbrushed" effect that looks as natural as possible. Thanks!

triaalic

Re: m dWhat's the difference with these two foundation brushes, and which is better?

(0) Hearts

Great advice, guys!!! Thanks so much!

dianabt

Re: m dWhat's the difference with these two foundation brushes, and which is better?

Hi Triaalic, 

I have used both and own the #55. The 56 is slightly shorter and will give a bit more coverage and is easier to apply heavier layers of makeup (liquid, cream, powder, etc.)

#55 is great for liquid foundations, super soft focus finish and easy to blend with. If you want a bit more precision I suggest the #56 for its denser and more compact build which is great with a bit heavier (mousse, cream or full cover) foundations. 

upload_6224185688144155356.jpg

upload_365731149276751874.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
drrragon

[ Edited ]

yup, agree with lyravega that #55 is more suited for thinner liquid foundations.  The brush hairs are longer on the 55 than the 56 hwich makes it a bit looser with more play.  i've had the 55 for years now and use it for my Lancome Teinte Idole Ultra.  When I'm applying thicker foundations like KVD I use a thicker brush that has much denser hairs.

ashleynne

I love the 56. My most favorite brush so far. It's awesome for blending out foundation, not to mention building a full coverage (I stipple it on in the areas I need more coverage after putting a thin layer of foundation on first). I use the 55 for doing a nice soft dusting/light buffing of finishing powder on top. Both brushes are fantastic.

lyravega

[ Edited ]

They are both excellent! It just depends what look you're going for, and what kind of foundation you're using. #55 is great for lighter coverage, and thinner liquid foundations. #56 is the one you're gonna use with thicker liquid foundations, like Kat Von D's Lock-It foundation for example, or Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation. And for heavier coverage. It could also be used with powder foundations, even though it is kinda small for that. And I've never tried it with a cream foundation, so I don't know about that. But I think it could work. With a little practice, you can achieve that "airbrushed" look with both of them. I love them both!

viviene23

[ Edited ]

#56 gives more coverage probably due to shorter bristles. Personally, I like #55 better...I like to start sheer then apply more as needed, comparable to hourglass foundation brush. They both have super soft bristles with #56 a little more stiff than #55. I find #55 blends foundation easier, more seamless but I have read comments here liking #56 better for the same reason so I guess its a matter of preference. I don't really understand the "airbrushed effect"??

veronika23

I'm not sure.  I'm also looking at both.  Was looking at 56 for powder, more specifically hourglass lighting powder.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • lyravega
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • veronika23
    • ashleynne
    • viviene23