Sue47

lip stick

I am 67 and not really sure how that happened. Love make up especially eye make up but could use some advise on lips. Can's seem to keep anything on them and I don't like the really shinny stuff.
End0ra

Re: lip stick

(0) Hearts

I'm a big fan of the NARS Velvet Matte chubby pencils.  They wear really well and don't bleed into your feathery lines, so you don't have to worry about lip liner if you don't want to.

A lip primer is also probably a good idea, though I've never used one to be honest, so I don't really know how they wear.  And there's also the powder technique, which is very, very old school but does work.

• Make sure your lips are nice and smooth.  Use a lip scrub or give them a brush over with a toothbrush to exfoliate.
  • Light layer of foundation on your lips.
  • Line with lip liner pencil.
  • Apply a layer of lipstick with a brush.  Blot with a tissue.
  • Apply a 2nd light layer of lipstick with a brush.  Blot again.
  • Lightly dust lips with loose powder and a fluffy brush.
  • Apply top coat of lipstick with a brush.

It's a lot of layers.  It doesn't exactly feel light, but it does set well and stays on for ages.  (I don't do it anymore.  I just use my NARS chubby.)

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

I forgot to add,I personally use Lip Tars,lip sticks, and lip stains.Since there are so many different colors and textures, I personally only use a Universal Lip Liner ( clear )  to stop any feathering or color bleeding and I have no problems with any methods of applying color anymore. I personally use Sephora's but I know there are a few other companies that carry a Clear Universal Lip Liner. 

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

Have you ever considered using a lip stain ? Lip stains are not heavy and once dry,will last up to a good 12 hours. They are all generally matte because they do not lay on top of your lips the same way as regular lip stick does. I can put a stain on and usually within 5 minutes take a drink from a glass and leave no color residue on the glass at all.

Mariahk83

lip stains are nice, but if you're older and have any fine lines round your lips you can end up with stain all over!  

ragdoll4mom

(0) Hearts

I agree with others.  Everything by Bite Beauty that I've tried has amazing staying power.  I tried the lip crayons, glosses, and the lip sticks.  

knadala

(0) Hearts

Bite Beauty has a great range of matte and regular textured lip products. The pigmentation is great and so is the lasting power, which means a low maintenance lip look, and the color range is awesome. I recommend the chubby lip pencils for better control when applying.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

Bite has chubby lip pencils? Are those the Matte Lip Crayons?

AlisG

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I think the chubby ones are the hi pigment pencils? The matte lip crayons are slimmer. The hi pigment pencils do dry to kind of a matte finish though.

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

WAIT. Total DUH moment. I have a set of four of the chubbies that I got in a tin earlier this year. Those are pretty fabulous! I can't believe I forgot about those!

BuxomBabe80

(0) Hearts

Oooh I haven't tried the chubby ones yet. *Puts that on my list* I like the matte lip crayons, but there are almost TOO creamy, if that makes sense. I did try putting them in the fridge to firm them up a bit and that seems to have helped a little.

BuxomBabe80

Lip stains are a great way to get a long lasting lippie. I've had really good luck with the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars. I make sure to moisturize first because some of them tend to be a bit drying on me. I haven't tried any of the lip primers that laurabt recommended, but they are now on my list!

AlisG

(0) Hearts

I hear great things about the staying power of OCC Lip Tars. I really need to pick some up. Do some of the darker colours stain your lips, though?

aleishamaxime

(0) Hearts

a little, yeah. black dahlia always leaves my lips a little magenta but I never use a primer. sometimes I put a little on and then wipe it off and apply a balm because I like stain it leaves as a lip color too.

quixotic

(0) Hearts

You may also want to consider a lip stain - there are tons to choose from. Under the main makeup tab there is a lip stain category, which once clicked on, will let you browse by color.  I love lip stains for all day color, but a good lip liner is essential if you use a stain to keep it in place.

Hope you find this helpful!

laurabt

[ Edited ]

Hi Sue47,

A lip primer is a great way to help lip color stick to your lips better and last longer.  I recommend Guerlain Kiss Kiss Liplift, BECCA Lip Priming Perfector, or Too Faced Lip Insurance Lip Primer.  Apply the primer to lips and let dry before applying your regular lipstick.

Guerlain - Kiss Kiss Liplift
http://www.sephora.com/kiss-kiss-liplift-P190247?skuId=1022318

BECCA - Lip Priming Perfector

http://www.sephora.com/lip-priming-perfector-P378021?skuId=1463090
Too Faced - Lip Insurance Lip Primer
http://www.sephora.com/lip-insurance-lip-primer-P259615?skuId=1242510

Some great long wearing lip colors are MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil with the Aqua Rouge lipstick. The liquid lip color dries to a matte finish, and I don't apply the clear gloss that comes with the lip color because it lasts longer without it. Stila Stay All Day® Liquid Lipstick also dries to a matte finish and is very long lasting.

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil

http://bit.ly/1knb15r

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Aqua Rouge

http://www.sephora.com/aqua-rouge-P374940?skuId=1507771

Stila - Stay All Day® Liquid Lipstick

http://bit.ly/1o6YSFC

:smileyhappy: -Laura

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 hearts