jcknox

dark under arms. sorry y'all

I started to notice my under arms are getting dark and so has my neck. I started to panic but then once i got in the shower it started to rub off so it could be dirt. I just got back from visiting villages in vietnam to see family and the area was quiet dirty like the dirt would be surrounding your whole body cause of motorcycles driving by. I see them scrubbing off of my body but it just can't seem to leave. is there anything i can do to get rid of this darkening?? its really unattractive especially with spring coming our way and tank tops coming out

ccrain

Re: dark under arms. sorry y'all

(0) Hearts

I saw something mentioned about diabetes causing this and do not freak out. I'm a nurse and diabetes would cause a "dark line" on the neck, but it wouldn't be able to be scrubbed off. I have not seen it effect the arm pit area. But I would check with a doctor if exfoliation doesn't help this, as it could be another imbalance of sorts! 

dianabt

Hi jcknox, 

Exfoliating with a good body scrub/exfoliator really helps a lot- this removes buildup of dead skin cells, dyes and fabric from dark clothes that can sometimes contribute to darkness and also buildup of deoderant that just sits on the skin. I read once that sometimes just from shaving the skin can get darker as well so waxing or creams may be an option to look into!

As for exfoliators, I really LOVE the PTR Blemish Buffing Beads for Face and Body which are great for smoothing the skin, preventing any ingrowns and just keeping the skin cells clear and not blocked.

http://www.sephora.com/blemish-buffing-beads-for-face-body-P186207?skuId=1009406

Look into brightening deodorants as well- they are super helpful, I've tried a number of them myself and they are great! Sephora carries the Dermadoctor Total Nonscents Ultra Gentle Brightening Antiperspirant as well?

http://www.sephora.com/total-nonscents-ultra-gentle-brightening-antiperspirant-P73514?skuId=784447

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
knadala

(0) Hearts

For underarms, Dove deodorant with the whitening feature is really great. It's a creamy powder consistency and has made my underarms significantly lighter after months of use and now I just keep using it since it works great as both a deodorant and a whitener.

You may also have pick up a slight tan and that might make it seem like the dirt won't leave your skin. But keep exfoliating and see if it is just the top most layer of your skin that is the issue, when a new layer emerges it might go back to normal.

lilyyy

Your antiperspirant might be the cause. I got rid of my dark underarms by doing this:

1. In the shower, rub a body oil under your arms, then use your nails or a plastic cap to SCRAPE the gunk out. Yeah it's gross but that's old product that's gunking up your body.

2. Switch to a natural deodorant. It won't cling to your skin (like above).

annekevdb

It could be dry skin, or it could be darkening due to changes in pigmentation of the skin (which is normal) particulary with sun exposure. If the exfoliation doesn't work you may want to a try a "bleach" cream available from the drug store. I get crazy brown splotches on my face w/ any sun exposure and it usually takes about  2 months of Vaniqua (sp?) cream to get it to clear up.

crayzeeRN

If it isn't coming off after exfoliating and washing, you may want to check with your doctor- it could be related to a hormone or endocrine imbalance.

LindaDD

Just a thought, but have you been wearing new, dark clothes? I'm wondering if maybe your sweat in those areas is causing the dye to rub off on you.

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

also, if you can not bathe/shower nightly, use babywipes. We have BOTH had to use babywipes ( I keep them on hand even before the grandbaby) and we use the cheap CVS Pharmacy ones - they are super thick and super for sensitive skin - them add a quarter size amount of shaving cream, turn the water on -shave, then do our lotion/cream deodorant night trick. Thant might help too ( and even still, my daughters looks better using 2 different degrees, I have NO IDEA if its the brand, but I dont know - I do know that the night application is the main step that cant be looked over )

JayReed

Waxing! Sounds weird I know, but when I have waxed clients it seems to lighten... Also I read that diabetes also causes this.. No need to panic, just something I read in an esthics book.

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

This may sound CRZY, but at night after the jammies are on, I use Degree Clinical deodorant - it is a cream that rubs in. Then when I wake up I use one of my LaVanilla's ( the cream deodorant from the night before has no scent after about 30 minutes, at least the powder fresh scent ( I have NOT tried the others ) and it gets rid of any and all dark areas on my underarms and also helps slow the hair groth/lighten and thin the armhair...

Just an F.Y.I.   For the "morning" application, go ahead and wear ANY Deodorant, use your favorite, my daughter does the same _ she wears tanks in the house with lounge pants or booty shorts in the dead of Ohio's winter's and the trick works for her. She applies the lotion/cream deodorant I suggested at night and in the morning she only uses Degree Sexy Intrigue ( Hers actually looks even better than mine ! )

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

This may sound CRZY, but at night after the jammies are on, I use Degree Clinical deodorant - it is a cream that rubs in. Then when I wake up I use one of my LaVanilla's ( the cream deodorant from the night before has no scent after about 30 minutes, at least the powder fresh scent ( I have NOT tried the others ) and it gets rid of any and all dark areas on my underarms and also helps slow the hair groth/lighten and thin the armhair...

Just an F.Y.I.

rydia

(0) Hearts

I'm guessing it's dry skin. If you went to a place with a sudden change of weather and air quality and then came back, your skin is dealing with it. Try using a scrubby loofah and concentrate on those areas (don't overdo it though or you'll hurt yourself!). Then make sure you use lotion on those areas 1-2x per day. see if it doesn't improve within a week. 

MikuNerd65

[ Edited ]

I really wouldn't know about the neck...but I do know about the underarms. Dove has a solution to that it's called Dove Clear Tone Skin Renew Deodorant.. See if that works. Or it could be that your tanning and you don't know it. I have had a tan without knowing I did. I tried scrubbing so hard then it popped in my head, "oh I tanned."  

tashalicious

i agree with MikuNerd65, switch your deodorant to Dove Clear Tone Skin Renew, it really does work. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • lilyyy
    • ccrain
    • crayzeeRN
    • annekevdb
    • knadala