AwkwardAmanda

Yellow, neutral, or pink foundation for pink/cool undertone?

I have a pink/cool undertone.  My cheeks are naturally a little red/flushed, but I do not have much redness overall.

I have seen some people recommend a pink foundation to blend in with your cool skin.  I have also seen people recommend a neutral or slightly yellow foundation to counter the pink in your cool skin.

Which do you prefer or recommend?  Thanks!

Annalily11

Re: Yellow, neutral, or pink foundation for pink/cool undertone?

(0) Hearts

One thing I've noticed as a cool toned person is that there are is a lot of varying in how pink different foundation brands are. I stayed away from cool toned foundations for a long time because the only ones I'd swatched had been way too pink(and dark, but that's beside the current point). They would have made my face look sunburned in comparison to the rest of me. So I just assumed I wasn't cool toned. After all, I look white, not pink. Instead I tried warm and neutral foundations, but they all made me look orange. So it was back to cool tones with me. I looked around more and discovered that some brands made the pink undertone so faint that you couldn't even tell it was there, but it's effect was enough to prevent my looking orange, and that was what looked good on me.

Moral of the story: An obviously pink foundation probably won't be for you, but cool toned foundations are still a very viable option. I personally am a big fan of blending in with the skin, instead of fighting it, particularly if the rest of the skin on your body matches your face. 

AwkwardAmanda

(0) Hearts

Thanks!  I'll try not to find an obviously pink foundation.

laurabt

Hi Awkward Amanda,

Have you tried the Sephora + Pantone Color IQ? It can be a great starting point to help you find your perfect foundation match! > http://www.sephora.com/color-iq

I personally would not recommend going with a warm undertone if you are naturally cool.  However, you could use a neutral color and that might even you out a bit!

:smileyhappy: -Laura

AwkwardAmanda

(0) Hearts

Thanks, Laura!  I have tried the Color IQ, and it recommended some pink shades (I think I was 3R06 or something like that).  That's why I was wondering why some people recommended against pink foundations.

andyhtrieu

All skin tones have yellow undertones and only 1% of people need foundations with pink undertones: those who sunburn in the shade. Foundations with pink undertones can look like a mask on most people. I would recommend getting a neutral foundation with equal parts yellow and pink undertones. :smileyhappy:

Marika123

While this might be true for US which is known to be "melting pot" for all the different nations, that is definitely not the case for Europe.

You would be surprised to see how many people in Europe (especially northern) are cool toned, it's definitely not 1% :smileyhappy: That is all genetics - those places don't get a lot of sun, and as a result a lot of people have fair cool toned skin and often light eyes. For that reason european makeup brand often offer great shades of pink toned foundation which look gorgeous on cool toned skin.

Following the same idea, a lot of Asian brands offer great yellow-based foundations which suit asian skin so well, but when applied to european cool toned face looks like a mask

Of course, with current globalization, european brands make yellow based foundations as well, and asian brands offer pink based foundations, but what I'm trying to say is that it's all relative and you can't have the same skin tone standard for Japan and Norway :smileyhappy:

AwkwardAmanda

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

Marika123

(0) Hearts

I have very cool toned skin, but I don't like to look overly pink, so I use neutral based foundation. Warm toned foundations look way too orange and unnatural on me. It all comes down to personal preference and also how cool toned your skin is. Also different brands have different colored foundations, so even if it's supposed to be warm toned one, it can vary from almost neutral to orange.

Just to give you a few examples, I use Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection Wear Makeup and they mark undertone by the last digit in color number, 0 stands for neutral, 1 for warm, 2 for pink, and in some foundations they also have 3 for peach. So 010, 020 etc would be neutral toned foundations, while 021 would be warm toned and 022 would be cool toned. I can use both 020 and 022, they look very natural on me, but I prefer 020 since it cancels pink in my skin. With 022 my skin looks the same as without foundation at all (I mean undertone, not coverage :smileyhappy: ), so I could even apply it to my t-zone only and skip the rest of the face, and you won't be able to see the difference, while 020 has to be blended more carefully and I have to bring it down to my neck too just to make sure it's  undetectable.

Of course, there are many other foundations on the market, I just mentioned this one to explain my point. General rule would be - if you want a quick and easy to apply look, or if you like natural rosiness of your skin, go with cool toned foundation, in other case you will have to spend more time blending it out, but it's still possible to do with natural toned foundation. Warm toned foundation will most likely turn orange on you, but you could try and see how it works out anyway. Just pick whatever color makes you happy!

AwkwardAmanda

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all the helpful information and taking the time to type all that out!  :smileyhappy:

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have some redness and use a neutral toned foundation. If you do want to tone down the pink/redness you could try a primer underneath and see how it looks with your foundation. I, at times use green (opposite red on the color wheel) and the neutral foundation, it covers well. I also just bought IT bye bye redness and it covers well, can be used alone or under foundation or where needed, it's one universal color.

AwkwardAmanda

(0) Hearts

Thank you.  :smileyhappy:

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

I would say check for a pink foundation and a spot treatment for your flushing.

I've been treating my rosacea with a yellow tinted product before applying a neutral foundation. It works a lot better rather than blending my entire face with a yellow foundation since the flushing is localized to my nose and cheeks.

AwkwardAmanda

Thanks for the advice!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • Marika123
    • laurabt
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • andyhtrieu
    • Annalily11