IowaHawkeye

With Chemotherapy what is the best product to help with the skin burns.

(0) Hearts

DiVWA

Re: With Chemotherapy what is the best product to help with the skin burns.

(0) Hearts

Try to get the prescription form of the silver cream that's used for third-degree burns. I used this years ago when I had a third-degree burn and it's super soothing and really helps the healing process.

gmoss90

(0) Hearts

Something call "super silver" or "COLLATED silver".  Its the same thing. My FIL got 3rd degree burns in an explosion last fall and the hospital wrapped his burns in that silver.  Its amazing!  Has wonderful healing properties.  Its all natural, you caneven drink it if you have something going on on the inside.  Google it.  Its a game changer!!!

Manda

(0) Hearts

Aloe Vera, especially if it is burns. Aloe Vera has a cooling affection on burns as well as tends to contain a lot of vitamins to help the skin heal. Make sure when using it however that you either use it from the plant or find aloe without the alcohol within it, which can make burns worse.

EvangelineDamon

(0) Hearts

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

There are a few specific chemotherapy treatments that do cause burning sensation throughout the body, especially to the feet and hands. You should definitely talk to your doctor/oncologist. 

In the meantime, avoid using perfumed soaps, lotions, et cetera, lanolin based products and things with a lot of alcohol.

Heavier cremes seem to work better than lotions.

And if you could find something with Vitamins A & E, that might help soothe the burning sensation below the skin. My mom had really liked when I rubbed her feet/hands with Kiss My Face Vit A & E moisturizer. 

Try to keep your skin hydrated and protected from the sun.

Best wishes.

End0ra

(0) Hearts

The burning sensation you're talking about is an internal inflammatory thing.  The chemo treatments that attack your feet and hands affect the nerves.  I also had that under the skin burning sensation in the arm that was always hooked up to the drugs because they inflamed the casings of my veins.  That was extremely painful.  The only thing that helped that was massaging with lots and lots of anti-inflammatory gel that is meant to penetrate the skin, like Voltaren, but the effect was still only very temporary.

So the lotions and moisturizers themselves aren't going to help so much with that particular burning sensation.  But the kind of hand and foot rubs you did for your Mom still feel great and help you get through it.  My Mom did that for me sometimes.

gracie00

[ Edited ]

Do you mean for radiation burns?  Chemotherapy shouldn't be causing burns.  Some may get rashes or dry skin by I found my skin was actually gorgeous during chemo.  There is a line of products formulated for cancer patients. It's called iS clinical. I moisturized a lot and put thick Vaseline like lotions on hands and feet with socks at night to help moisturizer nails too.  I didn't lose any nails they did get black streaks though. 

Also so for radiation burns I applied pure Aloe about every 15 minutes and banana boat after sun lotion.  I also used Calendula which is a homeopathic medicine moisturizing cream.  I used skinceuticals epidermal repair too. I barely burned and only got one blister on my very last treatment.  25 in total.  Flaxseed oil helps protect skin while enhancing the effects of radiation. I take that supplement daily still.   The effects of radiation are life long so I still utilize it.  

End0ra

(0) Hearts

I agree.  My skin was fantastic during chemo.  So were my nails, even though my nail beds on my hands and feet hurt like a mofo!

But yes, pure aloe (the colorless kind) is what I used.  I got burned pretty bad during radiation.  I made sure I slathered it on as soon as I came out of treatment.  There was a prescription cortisone cream my doctor also gave me to help with healing.  The two things together worked great.

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi, Gracie!

You may want to share the title of the webpage or instructions on how to locate it as outside links do get removed from threads as they are not allowed in Beauty Talk.

Also, because BT is a public forum, please mindful of posting things like emails or other forms of personal contact information. You can always personal message users if you wish to share these aspects.

Other tips to navigate BT and guidelines can be found in the below:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/bd-p/Welcome

LadyInWhite

I agree with Lylysa.  When my mother was undergoing chemo, the doctor actually gave her a specific "lotion" that reminded me a lot of Vaseline.

lylysa

You may want to consider consulting your doctor in regards to this. Since you're undergoing medical treatment, you don't want to risk using just "any" over the counter product on burns or any type of open wound.

With any recommendation received, I would advise getting the opinion of your doctor on it prior to use just so they may go over its ingredients and confirm it won't be something that won't interfere with your treatment.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • Manda
    • lylysa
    • LadyInWhite
    • DiVWA
    • End0ra
    • EvangelineDamon