DanaKontnik

Why does my face REJECT face makeup??

(0) Hearts

I have combination skin -- more oily in the t-zone with large pores on my nose and cheeks and naturally pink cheeks. I've tried foundations and powders and everything I put on my face seems to just sit on top of my skin and peel off. What the heck am I doing wrong? I've tried w/ primer and w/o primer -- NO CHANGE. Pore fillers -- NO CHANGE. I've moisturized -- NO CHANGE. It's not that my skin is dry. Spots can be dry but for the most part I'd say my skin is more on the oily side. Face makeup just seems to peel everywhere! Around my hairline, on my cheeks, on my chin, ESPECIALLY on the sides of my nose. The only thing I can wear on my face is the Charlotte Ronson A Summer's Kiss Face and Body Glow on my cheeks and Benefit's Sunbeam as an highlighter. I love the look. It gives me a nice glow and a fresh face. And for some reason my face readily accepts these products. I'd like something a little more polished for formal affairs though. I have two weddings coming up in July. For my own wedding I had airbrushed makeup and that seemed fine. I don't get it. I'm super frustrated and planning to take a trip to Sephora tomorrow to return this Becca Satin Finish Foundation. 

PatriciaLoren

Re: Why does my face REJECT face makeup??

(0) Hearts

i have combination skin as well and noticed a lot of those problems when i was using a generic moisturizer/sunscreen.  Even if I allowed it to sit before applying makeup, it would still kind of bead away from my skin and rub off.  Anyways, once I went to the dermatologist and got a better moisturizer (I now use Hylatopic to prevent any eczema patches).  Once I got that step fixed I can now use my cover Fx foundation with or without primer and it stays put with no beading or peeling! =] 

DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

Hmm... that's an interesting thought. I just purchased a new moisturizer from Philosophy that is supposed to be great for sensitive oily/combination skin like me. It had tons of rave reviews. It's called Take A Deep Breath Oil-Free Energizing Oxygen Gel Cream Moisturizer. Hopefully that helps. If not then I just might give that Hylatopic one a try. Thank you for the advice Patricia :smileyhappy:

bananachoox3

(0) Hearts

I would try using just a bit of primer and smooth it out to the areas you need it with your finger tips, try not to rub it in. You can also try tapping it and then smoothing over the oily parts, I wouldn't wait 10-15 minutes for the primer to set like beautylovingirl suggested, once its not tacky, maybe like a minutes or two, then put on foundation. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

But waiting 10-15 minutes to let your primer dry is toooo long I'm thinking it's the primer peeling off as your rubbing your makeup in, it could also be that your putting on too much primer. It's gotta be something to do with the primer because I think it's your primer coming off as your rubbing your makeup in. Just a thought good luck. But I do advise not to let your primer dry that long:smileyhappy:

DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

I'm using the Korres now. And yes moisturizer before primer. My skin looks great with the primer on. My skin looks great with the foundation patted on. It's when I start rubbing it in that I'm getting problems. The makeup itself just starts to peel up. I read somewhere else that it could be the natural oils in my skin causing the makeup to separate and that's the peeling I'm seeing. I guess anything's possible. The recommendation was to get an oil free foundation. But even powder has this peely effect so I don't know *shrugs*

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

So which primer are you using right now, you are using only one right and also your applying your moisturizer before your primer? And there is no need to let your primer dry that long it may be your primer that is peeling,  2-3 minutes is sufficient for letting a primer dry.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

What foundation primer are you using and what moisturizer do you wear during the day under your primer?

DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

Korres Quercetin & Oak Age-reversing Primer and I've tried Benefit Porefessionals. Both primers sit pretty on their own. Then add foundation and the peeling begins. And yes I wait 10-15 min for the primer to dry before adding the foundation. Moisturizer I usually use an Avon one that smells like banana and coconut. Surprisingly, this lotion REALLY helps with lightening my dark under eye circles better than anything I've tried that's specifically for it when this lotion isn't. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I would ease up on the 7-day scrub and if your nose is the only spot that is oily the total matteness may be too much for your skin.

DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

I only exfoliate 2-3 times a week. The total matteness helps with my large pores and makes my skin look and feel smoother than it did before I started using it. I tend to get oily on my nose, cheeks and forehead. As I said though, my nose is the worst spot for my "makeup rejection" as I call it.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Your skin looking good is not all about foundation, good skin care comes first then the foundation. You sound like you need a good exfoliator when you have all that dead skin built up your foundation has no other choice but to sit on top.  Dr. Dennis Gross' Alpha Beta Face peel is phenomenal or you could try Dr. Perricone's Blue Plasma Peel, or for scrubs Algenist makes a triple action Micro polish & peel and also Exfolikate is an awesome exfoliant as well. Hope this helps and also I would  continue to use a foundation primer as well.

DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

Here's the thing though. My skin doesn't peel WITHOUT face makeup on. Once I removed all my makeup, used my clinique exfoliator and philosophy total matteness cleanser my skin went back to being perfectly smooth again -- zero peeling.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi DanaKontnik,

Hmm, it sounds like you might want to try an exfoliator and smoothing mask. What are you currently using for skin care and are you also using an exfoliating treatment a few times a week? Thanks and we look forward to your response!

<3 Melissa
DanaKontnik

(0) Hearts

I use clinique exfoliating scrub and philosophy's total matteness. I exfoliate 2-3 times a week and use total matteness every night before bed.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • beautylovingirl
    • bananachoox3
    • DanaKontnik
    • PatriciaLoren