Lalagirl1995

What to buy for 1920's/1930's finger waves?

My prom is about a month away, and I want to create those beautiful, vintage finger waves. I have a good amount of experience with vintage hairstyles (mostly 1950's and 1960's dos) but I've never worked with gel or creme, and I need to use some sort of product to hold my wet hair in place or else it just won't turn out right. 

I have, as my Granny says, "medium-thick hair and a lot of it!" It's a little past my chin in length and stacked in the back with side swept bangs that resemble tapered layers more than bangs (the shortest layer falls just below my cheekbone when blown dry correctly). My hair is straight with a natural flip at the bottom and is silky smooth and shiny. (I know all these different factors can help determine what products would work best for me or I wouldn't waste your  time on it, I promise.)

Basically, I just need to know what you amazing beauty experts would suggest to hold finger waves in place in my hair. I'm trusting you with my life! :smileywink:finger-waves-hairstyles.jpgjunior_20s_30s_hair_style.jpgzv-vintage-finger-waves.jpgzv-wavy-hair-with-highlights.jpg

Lalagirl1995

Re: What to buy for 1920's/1930's finger waves?

[ Edited ]

@malday I was going to use those long wave clips to hold the waves in place on my head and then let them set all day or even overnight if I had to (I have a month to figure out what will work best) because I liked how the wave clips looked when done in some of the tutorials I've seen. But I'm definitely going to practice a lot, and I hadn't thought about finding a silk scarf in case I have to sleep in it. I'll have to go through my boxes now (I just moved) but that's no problem for the sake of prom beauty! Thank you very much. :smileyhappy:

Lalagirl1995

(0) Hearts

Thank you guys for your help! But what I really needed was what product you would use on the hair. Like, gel and such. I've never had a reason to use a gel or creme because I've always had really long hair that was very easy to work with (I recently donated my hair, so I cut what feels like ALL of it off), and I'm more familiar with things like barrel rolls and ratted, beehive-type styles. I've watched over a dozen tutorials, and so I know what I need to do, I just don't know what gel product to get for the wet set waves.What gel would you guys recommend?

Shush365

(0) Hearts

The Beauty Department has a tutorial of it. Kristen Es who is friends with Lauren Conrad is the one who did the tutorial. She usually has good tips for clips/products. My earlier link was edited out but I hope that helps

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

I think you're going to look beautiful! Please take a pic of your hair, makeup, and outfit for us, if you don't mind. Enjoy your prom and be safe!

Lalagirl1995

(0) Hearts

I'll post pictures, no problem! Prom is early April, though, so it's still a little ways off.

Shush365

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

hope this helps, she usually has really good step by step tutorials and this one is on the old hollywood waves:]

enjoy prom!

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

My mother wore finger waves and pin curls until the 80's and I finally convinced her she needed to update her style. I can remember at night after washing her hair she would place her finger down and use bobby pins to form the waves. With the lower sides and back she would form pin curls by wrapping her hair around her finger and securing it with two bobby pins. She would sleep in the pins and the next morning it would be styled beautifully. To this day, she puts foam rollers in her hair in the top and pin curls the sides and back!

Lalagirl1995

(0) Hearts

I think that's fantastic. I wish I could do such things. I often feel I was born in the wrong generation. Personally, I wouldn't've asked her to try a new style at all! So few people appreciate such classic beauty anymore. :smileywink:

Also, did she pin curl the entire back or just the bottom? I've seen that some continue the waves around the entire head and some don't, so I'm curious how your mom styled hers.

wingatprsct

(0) Hearts

I was in silly teenager in high school and it was in the 80s. My mom was older than all my friend's moms. It really aged her though.

She only did the waves from her offside part down to above her ears and maybe around the crown. I can't remember! I'll have to ask. She is definitely from the WW2 era as she is 87 now. Such an amazing woman!

ashhbeckk

(0) Hearts

I've done finger waves many of times. it would be very hard to do them on yourself once you got to the back....

if you want then to look spectacular id go to a salon and get them done by a professional. Atleast if  you want them to look as  perfect as Tyra banks

Lalagirl1995

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks for the concern! :smileyhappy: I've got a month to practice the style and a backup plan if it doesn't work out. If you have a favorite gel or styling product to help the waves stay in place, though, it would be greatly appreciated. :smileyhappy:

LindenAnn

I think wet setting would work best, that's what those ladies did back then. If you do the curling iron route just make sure to buy some clips. You'll need to arrange the curl in the pattern you want, clip it in place, and let it cool that way and spray it to hold it there.

missey1973

(0) Hearts

Oh those pics looks so pretty. I don't have any hair advice but when I look at those photos I think of the Bobbi Brown Old Hollywood Pallet. Even if you dont have that pallet, but have similar colors, you can probably look on YouTube and find tutorials on how to use it.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

You can do faux finger waves with a 3/4 inch curling iron. Here's a fantastic tutorial on how to mimic the finger wave look using a curling iron. It takes a practice to do it on yourself, or just ask someone who's skilled with a curling iron to help you.

from youtube: watch?v=7wg142Tveg0&list=PL6564ABEBFAAE5AA0&feature=share&index=5 

if you have long hair and use that^ tutorial, what i would do is create a faux bob by rolling the hair under and pinning it into the nape of your neck.

here's a few more good tutorials: 

• watch?v=ljP6nj-vu6o
  • watch?v=kIix2iF9wFA
  • watch?v=usN8c8XgKXM

malday

[ Edited ]

You're probably going to want to use a setting lotion and do a wet set for these. Try Revlon Lottabody which you can get at Sally's:

SBS-105220.jpg

To make the waves you'll want to use alligator clips, the flat kind or you'll get little kinks in your style:

clips

Since your hair is short you won't have to worry about pin curling the bottom of it or anything.

Last step would be hairspray! Use something that'll hold it well. I suggest this one:

bedhead

Bedhead Masterpiece Hairspray, it smells wonderful and your hair will stay in place forever.

malday

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Notes I'd like to add here: The curling iron method is something I used to do when I had short hair but I prefer the clip method, it looks more authentic and overall nicer. Bobby pins also work but they will leave little dents in the wave because they are thin. And like I said in my other post, since your hair is short you won't have to worry about pin curls, just setting the finger waves. If you plan on setting overnight you will need to protect your style by sleeping in a scarf, preferably a silky one so it doesn't cause friction with your hair and make it frizz up. Good luck :smileyhappy: I'd practice this a couple times so you're happy with the final results

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • malday
    • wingatprsct
    • ashhbeckk
    • Lalagirl1995
    • missey1973
    • LindenAnn