What justifies returning a product?

[ Edited ]

So I got tired of waiting for Perversion mascara to be available in store and bought the Marc Jacobs Omega Lash. I'm on the fence about it. I do LIKE it but I'm not sure I LOVE it. All things being equal, I probably prefer Too Faced Better than Sex because it gave me more volume and fullness. MJ's gives a ton of length, but I already have super duper crazy long lashes and usually want fullness and volume over lengthening. 

Having said that I am not one for returning products without a REALLY good reason. I really dislike returns of products done lightly as in the end that drives up prices and is extremely wasteful.

I think I should just keep and use the mascara. It's a nice mascara and even though it doesn't blow me away, in 2 months I can justify a new one, and hopefully by then Perversion will be available. I desperately needed a new mascara as my old TFBTS was way old. 

OK, I think I just talked myself into keeping it. 2 months won't kill me. I know it was pricey at $33 CAD, and if I HATED it then I would return it, but I don't think feeling "meh" about a product justifies returning it. 

OK, sorry, I didn't really ask a question there so much as I just went through a thought process exercise. :-) 

Re: What justifies returning a product?

I felt the same way returning a foundation to QVC, because it did cost to ship it, but it just wasn't worth the 43 dollars I spent...it was too yellow. Every time I used it, I just got that "well, I can get used to it or try to love it" feelilng, but I knew I would end up buying something else anyway. I would rather return it and put the money toward something I love and that works!

If I do not like something I return it, usually, it depends on the price. for example If I bought a $5 dollar lip gloss and I liked it mildly I would keep it, if I bought a $38 foundation and just thought it was "okay" I would return it. I want to get what I pay for you know?  Also  I have said this on another similar post, company's calculate loss and returns when they set their prices to maximize their profit so if you are not happy with your mascara, you should Return it, or exchange it. 

I'm like you, I don't return things lightly in fact in the years I've been a Beauty Insider, I have only returned one product. There were others that I wasn't completely blown away about but I usually give the product to a friend or my sisters who thoroughly enjoy having it because they don't shop at Sephora. So I use it or gift it. The one product I returned failed to do what it said and I returned it the next day. 

I think there is nothing wrong with returning something you genuinely do not like, doesn't work as it should, or causes an allergic reaction. Yes, unfortunately, there will always be people out there who will be dishonest or take advantage of things, but that is the minority.

I think that companies need feedback if a product is unsatisfactory, for whatever reason. Let's say, for example, a company comes out with a new amazing eyeliner that lots of people run to purchase, based on media ads and company reputation, then it turns out to be a dud. If the company starts getting all sorts of these eyeliners returned with comments such as "flakes off, hard to use, etc", then it is back to the drawing board. Same with allergic reactions, colors not staying true, etc.  or just not feeling the producct lived up to its advertissed benefits. Or packaging that falls apart. Returns are part of how companies get feedback on their products. 

In the end, it is OUR hard earned money, and trust me, companies mark up items plenty, so nobody's going to go out of business if you return a blush or mascara. We deserve to be happy with our purchases.

I am a returner without guilt.  These products are priced to include a return margin and if I am not loving a product then it needs to go back.  Often they make testers out of returns, so I don't feel like the product is a complete waste.  That being said, I do try to avoid a return scenario by getting samples of things before purchasing.  I've spent the last three months trying to discover my next eye cream (my eyes water with everything!) and finally found a winner via samples.  My latest guiltless return: the Marc Jacobs Kiss Pops.  I purchased them when they were a VIB Rouge exclusive and the description listed them as being a creamy gel, which has since been changed.  My guess is a lot of those babies were returned, but at $28 each I believe there is still profit to be made.  Am I the only one?  Cricket, cricket :smileywink:  

(0) Hearts

My point, exactly, I would have done the same thing--I didn't get one right away, and judging from the majority of diapointed people, I am glad I didn't, because matte, long-wearing, dry lip colors are not for me! This shows the company they need to either re-assess their description or redo the formula, if they get that many returns (which it sounds like they have)  Consumers speak with their wallets! :smileyhappy:

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've only done two return(well, they were more like trade ins). The Clinique 3-step acne solutions. While it did get rid of my acne it also managed to get rid of most of the skin of my face. I did a return for credit that I put towards the 3-step for dry combination.

The second one was a bite lipstick. The color looked awesome in the store, and the SA really talked me into it. Later, once I was in different lighting, it made me look awful. Kind of like a clown that just ate spaghetti. I tried to make it work, but ended up returning it and using the credit towards bite's lip liner and the remainder towards a buxom lip gloss.

I didn't feel bad about the first return. It didn't work, was expensive, and probably could have been avoided if the SA had warned me that it wouldn't work well with dry skin (I guess she assumed that because I had acne I must also be oily enough for it to work right.

The second case I felt bad about. It was an impulsive buy gone wrong, but I did at least put most of the money back into the company.

If a product works poorly and/or is harmful never feel guilty about returning it. Especially if you were mislead/not given all the necessary info while buying it.

If its's a color mistake or something like that, I say just make at least some other purchase while returning it. Ease the guilt and he company loss a bit.

I usually do a return if the product breaks me out or causes allergic reaction. 

For example, I've returned mac mineralize foundation and prep and prime radiance because they broke me out immediately.. my face just wouldn't cool down from the redness and I would get these cystic painful acne from each wear. plus it was practically new.. used 2 times at most.. 

I also did a return on origins modern friction exfoliator because somehow they changed the formula from when I last used it 5~6 years ago and gave me these weird rashes all over the face.. 

I know it probably looks bad, but I would return something if its something that lasts a long time but doesn't work.. like a concealer that I couldn't really ask for a sample... 

I think its problematic is someone returns heavily used product to buy something new... 

I never thought people would have the stomach to do it, but I've heard about some people doing that especially with skincare products... 

OMG so I heard that someone bought Creme de La Mer, SCOOPED EVERYTHING OUT, and then replaced it with a generic moisturizer! That's the worst/funniest return story ever hahah. I forgot if it was mentioned on here or on INMYKIT. :smileyvery-happy:

someone else mentioned that an old lady bought a bottle of the clinique's dramatically different gel? the yellow one and replaced it with yellow pudding or something similar and returned it 

its really funny and stupid but terrible 

Oh, yes, I used to work at a major dept store in cosmetics years ago and we also had a few "pudding" incidents at Clinique, I guess that is a well-known trick! 

But, I think returns are ok if it breaks you out or you really aren't happy with the color/performance. However, I think if it is lipstick, shadow or another basic product, you should know right away whether it is for you or not. Foundation and skincare might take a few uses for a person to see whether or not they see a difference in their skin or get a reaction or have color oxidation issues. But I do think it's wrong when someone uses an entire tube of lipstick and wants to return it. You should not spend money on something that you aren't happy with, but I think the sooner you bring it back/the less you have used it, the better. 

I rarely ever return anything, and I try to be careful and think/research each product I want before I buy. In recent memory I've needed to return two items, both back to Nordstrom and not to Sephora. My most recent return was this week, and the item was still new and sealed in the box. I wish I didn't have to return it, but it turned out I didn't read the ingredient list carefully enough and it wasn't something my skin would thank me for. :smileysad:

If I buy something and it doesn't blow me away, I keep it and find ways to use it anyway (or I'll pass it on to my mother/friends). For things like mascara I figure I'll need a new tube in a few months, anyway, so I don't mind eating through a tube in that amount of time. I'd have gotten my money's worth even if it wasn't my favorite.

(0) Hearts

I worked in retail for several years, and that has really changed my view on returns. I have only returned one item at Sephora in the many years I've been shopping there. I was looking into the Benefit Brow Zings when they first came out, and asked for assistance picking a color. The associate recommended the medium color, but didn't offer to watch it on me (I was super new to makeup and didn't know better!) so I bought it. It was waaay to red/auburn (my hair is black), so I did end up exchanging for the darker color. 

I do have products that I regret buying, but I just live with it and use them up anyway :smileyhappy: 

I would return it because if I'm going to pay over $30 for a mascara, it should be MIND BLOWING and AMAZING. I don't want to pay for expensive items that don't work well. I mean, I don't have a lot of money so I try to get the best things my money can get. I'd take that $30 and spend it on another item that works even better. 

Andy really? Do you think that would be frowned upon? Believe me I'm not a "serial returner" LOL, but I am powered by guilt! I'd kinda like to have my Too Faced back, but I feel guilty about the waste, the environment (it's going in the garbage) etc. :-( 

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I don't think so haha. Sephora's return policy, along with other cosmetic retailers, usually allow open/used products to be returned it's hard finding the right product. They also allow used/open returns because what if something breaks you out? I'm not gonna let that money go to waste haha. And most of the time, you can't get samples of certain products, like eyeliner, lip products, powders, etc. 

And I don't think they actually throw away the product you returned. They either use it as a tester and I THINK they send it back to the company to be recycled. 

Sephora DOES NOT take returned mascara and turn it into a tester. Can't vouch for what happened with it while it was out of the store. Returned makeup is damaged out and gets sent off to the makeup graveyard. (My words, not Sephora's LOL)

(0) Hearts

Speaking from the early days in my career when I did Pharmacy and Service Desk at the big WM, returns are binned for bulk processing when the retailer has the time/amount of returns to justify the paperwork involved to be sent back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will dispose of the product in a way that obeys their municipality laws, credit back the invoice to the retailer for X amount negotiated, and process any feedback/reasons for the returns.

Using returned makeup as a tester would be a huge liability. In best case scenario, you get exchange of germs/bacteria. Worst case scenario is that the returned makeup is something else other than makeup or defective and gets spread out to hapless consumers. Lawsuit!

Companies send retailers like Sephora specific products designated to be testers. They don't just open one up and put it on the shelf, nor do they put returned makeup back out as a tester (simply because they have no idea what a person could have done with a product before it was returned). They may be able to send it back for a very, very small refund from the brand company or they just count it as a loss.

[ Edited ]

Not always. When I was younger I worked at a big beauty/body care retailer and when we ran out of testers we just opened a brand new product and wrote it off. They also put returned makeup back out on the shelf if it is unused. Used makeup usually just gets thrown out. 

I have no idea what Sephora does though.

If I really wasn't happy with a product, especially one I paid a lot for, I would probably return it as well. For me, this usually works out to 1 or 2 things a year. Considering how much I spend at Sephora, I have no problem with returning the occasional product that I've tried.

(0) Hearts

Correct, testers items (if manufacturer didn't send any samples or products gratis aside from the amount bought on invoice) are written off in retail in hopes to recoup from margins via sales. This happens in grocery store demos, not just cosmetics. :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats