mafan

What is your favorite healing lip balm

My lips are a cracked, bleeding mess and they have been for about a week.  I know the cause. I did a great deal of scuba diving over the past two weeks and the salt water and dry air from the regulator (not to mention the regulator itself) finally took its toll. I was okay for the first week, but after a week my lips gave out and about half of my lower lip is cracked and starts bleeding. I did stop diving two days ago so hopefully I'm no longer making it worse. I did drink lots of water. 

At the start of the trip I was using a Laura Mercier tinted lip balm, and I switched to my Fresh mini and alternated between that and my husband's Nivea balm. Now that I'm home I have the Fresh Advanced Lip Therapy and a new Fresh mini and I'm applying frequently. 

Does anyone have a suggestion on anything that would be better to use? I'll consider anything from drugstore to high end. I need something that doesn't just sit on the lips and it would be great if it sealed the lips. (I was wearing a couple layers of my YSL Glossy Stain because it sealed out the air a bit.)

Last time Fresh worked in about a week last time, but this time is worse and I'll take any suggestions to clear things up sooner. 

mafan

Re: What is your favorite healing lip balm

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all the info folks.  The First Aid Cream is helping, and I also went out and got some Blistex.  I think my problem was not remembering to put stuff on always between dives, especially on the boat in the sun on double tank dives.  Thankfully I've got Fresh balms all over the house (my nightstand, my dresser, the table near where I sit in the evenings, my purse -- I've got a lot of minis!) but they're just not enough for the mess that is my lips right now.  They are beyond chapped -- scabbed but at least not actively bleeding today, sigh.

Next time I dive I take the waterproof container attached to my BCD so that my lip balm is in it.  Maybe that rattling around will remind me to use it really, really often!

On the good news front, I got my mail today and my brand new Advanced Open Water Diver card was already here!

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Mafan,I also recommend the Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm.  It feels very soothing on chapped lips. :smileyhappy: -Laura

Jack Black Lip Balm SPF 25.jpghttp://bit.ly/SfEioT

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Jack Black lip treatment spf25. That was me 2 winter ago. I was at my wits end and brought dozens of drugstore/high end lip balms. The only ones that work for me are Jack Black and Fresh Sugar. I didn't like Jack Black because it leaves a film, but if you are diving and in contact with salt water, that might be a good thing.

It's also a two step process, hydration as in moisture that sinks deep inside, and protection as in a layer on top to make sure the moisture in your skin don't evaporate. After using a lip scrub, I like to dab on some oil to hydrate then apply lip balm to seal it in when the oil sinks in. Also remember to apply lipbalm generously BEFORE lip-drying activity and AFTER (for me this means before brushing my teeth or going to the dentist, then again afterward. For you this means before AND after diving).

I also heard coconut water is better for hydration than water, you might also want to look into a humidifier. Good luck!

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

I also agree with blisstex, you can go to your nearest drugstore and any of the medicated ointments are really good, chapstick has a good one too it has like a little swiss flag on it.

For future reference (i also scuba dive)  use chapstick before the dive and after it'll help with the cracking!

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I find that a layer of blistex medicated under whatever else you put on really works for cracks and other severe problems, it takes a couple of days but not super long (unless, like me, you have a super resistant cold sore).  It absorbs pretty quickly and then you can put on the fresh or whatever else you choose.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I like to use the Fresh lip scrub once a week to exfoliate my lips, which really helps keep the cracking down. http://www.sephora.com/sugar-lip-polish-P274001?skuId=1297183

I have a few lip treatments I rotate through: 

- Jack Black lip balms are really nice, lemon & black tea are my favorites

http://www.sephora.com/intense-therapy-lip-balm-spf-25-P12573?skuId=564344

- Dior Addict Lip Balm is moisturizing & gives the lips a nice natural glow. It was the only lip balm I brought with me when I worked nights in the hospital

http://www.sephora.com/dior-addict-lip-glow-P236816?skuId=1162650

- Laura Mercier also has a nice lip balm that I think is underated.

http://www.sephora.com/lip-balm-P110020?skuId=1307487

I really want to try the Hourglass serum oil. I've heard really good things about it & it seems to work well as a primer too http://www.sephora.com/no-28-lip-treatment-oil-P379096?skuId=1500826

Two products I really didn't like are the Rosebud Salve ( tube & tin versions), they just didn't work for me. And the Korres Lip Butters dried my lips out more. 

jenpred

(0) Hearts

I adore Clinique's Superbalm Lip Treatment. I use it when my lips are feeling dehydrated/chapped/peeling. It literally heals my lips up overnight, and they're so soft in the morning. I love it!

CzaCee

i use Khiel's lip balm on my lips whenever it goes on a Sahara Desert level. it works magic. :smileyhappy:

neko333

(0) Hearts

I use the Sally Hansen Overnight Lip Recovery it seems to really help when my lips are wind burnt . I have several tubes of it stock piled but haven't seen it in stores for a while. They may have replaced it with a different product. It's made specifically to repair your lips not just moisturize which I think is why it's so helpful. 

sarinalove

(0) Hearts

Every morning I soothe my dry lips with Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. The no color one. It's pricey but it works! My lips are less dry and is not addicted to it like most chapsticks.

For light color throughout the day and on the go I also use Korres Lip Butter and it is seriously like butter on your lips with a yummy scen

mafan

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I love the Fresh lip balms but they're not enough right now. (My lips are scabbed and really horrible to see.) I thought I had some Aquaphor around but I couldn't find it. I found some first aid ointment that said it could be used on lips, so for now I have that on. If I don't see much improvement tomorrow I will probably make a run for some medicated Blistex and Aquaphor (since that is great to have around and definitely thicker than what I have now.)

I had the new set of Kat Von D mini lipsticks waiting for me when I got home and I can't try them out! I've never had my lips be so painful that they keep me awake, so I am really going to try to keep this from happening again!

pinkonyx

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

swfupload_3134238780105948769.jpgI do not know if its considered a healing balm but I LOVE LVOE LOVE fresh's lip treatment.

garnett

[ Edited ]

When I need to actually heal my lips, not just condition and protect, I find nothing is more effective than Blistex. You want the medicated ointment, not the lip balm.  It comes in a tube that has an angled tip for easy application to your lips.  It is available at most drugstores and probably the drugstore section of the supermarket.  There is nothing cute or sexy about the product but I find that it starts to work immediately.  Once the bleeding and cracking are  healed, a good lip balm should keep your lips in great

condition. 

Meg82

(0) Hearts

lol, I clearly should have read the thread before making my suggestion.  I second this comment!

DST57

(0) Hearts

I will echo the Aquaphor comment as it's worked on my most dry and damaged skin (including lips) in the past.  I also have currently been using Smith's Rosebud Salve nightly on my lips and cuticles and can't say enough good about it.  You might also try that!

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I think simple Vaselin would be the best option here. It helped me a lot in a similar situation. I found out that none of the LIP BALMS helped. I asked my dermatologist for advice, and he told me that all lip balms contain something ( darn, I forgot what it was ) that additionally irritate already heavily irritated lips, and that I should use simple Vaselin! I was surprised, but I tried it and it worked like a charm for me! So I've learned that Vaselin is great to seal the "problem" protecting it from further outside irritants and irritations, and giving it necessary time to heal. As for a lip balm... since my doctor told me they are not that great for your lips... I make my own now! :smileyhappy: Without all the irritants they put in the commercial ones.

DesertRose0706

[ Edited ]

i stumbled upon an amazing lip product called NUXE NUXE Reve de Miel - Honey Lip Balm.  It is a thick lip balm that really sticks to your lips and stays on for hours and hours.  When I apply it at night, i wake up the next morning and can still feel it on my lips.  It is very healing and also helps to keep lips moisturized.  I think this would be a really soothing lip balm for your lips in the condition they are in now.  i also think it would be a great balm to wear the next time you go diving to protect them and keep them from getting as bad as they are now.  The only down side is the only place I know to get it is from Amazon.com. It costs about $17, but it is a pretty good size and it lasts a long time!  Heres a photo:

Lip Balm.jpg

beautylovingirl

I 100% agree with the Nuxe lip balm is the best in anything I have ever tried. If you not using it your missing something awesome!

aparrish

No suggestions for during the day, but at night I'd recommend slathering on Aquaphor and reapplying whenever you wake up. This is what I do when I have serious dryness issues on my hands or feet (and then I cover them with socks, although I don't recommend putting socks over your head :smileyhappy: ). 

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

I second this! It's a vaseline-like product. I use it every night once it gets colder (late fall/winter time). You can find Aquaphor at target or drugstores for fairly inexpensive.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lyravega
    • annonymous1
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • neko333