MHW21

What is the difference bewtten a full coverage makeup and one you have to build up?

beauty4ashes

Re: What is the difference bewtten a full coverage makeup and one you have to build up?

(0) Hearts

Pigment concentration. You can take a "Full Coverage Foundation" and literally sheer it down to the pigmentation quality of a Tinted BB Cream. It saves money because all you really need is one foundation. And it can also save you time & the stress of finding a specific type foundation that actually matches your skin color!

If you or anyone would like to know how I take a full coverage foundation & alter coverage write me back & I'll take you through some different methods depending on your skin type, foundation brand & what you want from the foundation in the first place.  

P.S. I'm a professional freelance make-up artist with over 30 years of experience. Theatrical (Ballet/Stage/Halloween), Bridal, Proms, Photographs. I'm also a retired medical professional & with a undergraduate degree in chemistry.   

karma3p80

Re: What is the difference bewtten a full coverage makeup and one you have to build up?

(0) Hearts

Just wanted to add that some sheer or light foundations are considered buildable, which means that you can add another layer (or more) and the foundation still looks great. When someone says that a foundation is not very buildable it means that if you try to add another layer it will not apply very well and looks bad.

laurabt

Hi MHW21,

Full coverage foundations will cover most flaws/ imperfections in one application, and have much more pigment in the formula.  With buildable foundations, you can control how much coverage you want.  A light application will give you a sheer to medium coverage (depending on the product), and you can layer the product in areas where you need more coverage for blemishes.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

andyhtrieu

A foundation that is "buildable" simply means that having one layer on will only cover some blemishes. To build up the coverage, you can add another layer over your whole face or just specific areas. L'Oreal True Match foundation is a perfect example of a foundation that has medium buildable coverage. One layer evens out your skin tone and covers minor blemishes. Another layer will result in more flawless skin. 

A foundation that is full coverage covers EVERYTHING. A good example of a full coverage foundation is the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation. A few other good examples are Dermacolor and Dermablend. Those two brands specialize in body and camouflage makeup. It's designed to cover tattoos. 

waterbaby1981

Color pigment, really.  Kind of similar to how Urban Decay shadows are really pigmented and Clinique shadows are more of a sheer wash of color.  The difference is usually that with something more pigmented, you use less to get the effect you want.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • waterbaby1981
    • laurabt
    • beauty4ashes
    • karma3p80
    • andyhtrieu
    • MHW21