ashpash32

What is the best makeup to use if you are having hormonal cystic acne breakouts?

(0) Hearts

Hello, =)

So I have just come off of oral contraceptives and am expecting to have serious breakouts soon (as I have in the past). I currently use Juice Beauty's acne care kit for my skin care regime. I am using their CC Cream and refining powder as well, which don't seem to do my skin any good because of the cream base in the CC Cream. I have oily skin, and my favorite foundation is a mixture of Smashbox and MakeupForever HD Foundations. The look is amazing. However, with my skin issue I have no idea what makeup to use. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I would use Bare Essentials, however I developed an allergic reaction to their products years ago. 

LivesPink

Re: What is the best makeup to use if you are having hormonal cystic acne breakouts?

(0) Hearts

hey their, i would totally recommend you The Hourglass Immaculate foundation with smashbox photo finish primer. or also Lorac and Stila have amazing foundations.

Alygal90

Re: What is the best makeup to use if you are having hormonal cystic acne breakouts?

(0) Hearts

I get cystic acne during that time of the month and I love Kat Von D's tattoo foundation. Full coverage without feeling oily or causing more breakouts.

roseps135

(0) Hearts

I would recommend mineral makeup or Kat von D Lock it Foundation.

PinkQ

(0) Hearts

Anything that you use should be non-comedogenic!!!! and oil-free.

Jane Iredale products worked well for me when I used to have severe acne; unfortunately, Sephora doesn't carry that brand. But, they're quite generous in sending out samples if you write to them :smileyhappy:

Other suggestion: Hourglass Veil primer, Hourglass Immaculate foundation (oil-free), Lancôme Teint Idole 24hr foundation, and Laura Mercier smooth powder :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps!

vaclevel

(0) Hearts

I  have had the same issue with cystic acne after switching or coming off contraceptives.  After 2 years of horribly painful acne on my chin and along my jawbone, the only thing that worked for me was using Dial Gold Antibacterial soap to wash my face and foregoing moisturizer altogether.  This routine would probably be to harsh for anyone with dry or sensitive skin, but it has worked wonders for me personally, and i can still use MakeupForever HD Foundation (125). 

ladymeag

(0) Hearts

If you're having cystic acne issues, you may want to avoid products with parabens, silicone, and fragrances. Tarte products are fragranced, Clinique products are marketed as 'for sensitive skin' but often have parabens and other things that are problematic for folks with skin issues. 

I also have an allergy to most mineral makeup (mine is due to a latex allergy) but know that they aren't all the same. I can use Hourglass mineral powder but not the liquid foundation. I can't get near anything Bare Minerals makes but the Korres mineral powder would be fine if it came in a shade light enough (which it doesn't.) You might need to try a few things before you can settle on what you need - do you have a Sephora near you where you can request samples? 

My suggestion would be something that's oil-free, as well. If you have a Sephora near you to test from or ask for samples, I'd try: 
Kat Von D Lock-It Powder Foundation
Hourglass Mineral Veil or Immaculate liquid foundation
Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche Eclat

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Clinique is just fragrance free, and is not marketed as sensitive skin. I have contacted them directly and they could not answer if they are for sensitive skin. My skin was much better after stopping their products. The toner irritates my eyes then and even when I tried it years later.

I would recommend looking for non-condegemic - won't clog pores. Lancome's Teint Miracle, Estee Lauder and Lorac are all good brands for acne skin. I am very sensitive, acne-prone and none have caused issues.

Also what is your skin care routine? As some products may actually be causing more oil production to compensate for the skin be stripped of natural, healthy oils.

I also use Philosophy total matteness serum, before moisturizer, to help cut down oil, and it's working.

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Hi, Clinique is targeted toward sensitive skin so, you may want to look into their products. Or you shpuld look into something more natural like Tarte. The Tarte Amazonian Clay Liquid Foundation has nice coverage and helps with oiliness. I would recommend doing one of the above or going with Tarte's Airbrush Powder Foundation because the powder will be lighter. And,  I wouldn't recommend using too much product when experiencing breakouts. Tarte also has a Tinted Moisturizer that has skin soothing ingredients!  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • ladymeag
    • roseps135
    • Alygal90
    • PinkQ
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • opinionatedjenn