LilBNasty

What is a good primer and medium coverage foundation for combination skin?

[ Edited ]

I'm new at face makeup so I went to my local Sephora and asked for a recommendation for a good primer and foundation for combination skin.
They recommended me to Benefit's The Porefessional and the Smashbox Healthy FX foundation w/ SPF 15.
However, when I tried the products at home I knew that they were definitely not for me. The Porefessional made areas of my face dry and flaky! The Smashbox foundation was way too orange for me and that is strange because I have yellow undertones. It also does not set even when I apply setting powder.
I heard the Victoria Secret's VS Pro Airbush FX Perfecting Primer w/ SPF 20 is great and is a good dupe for the famous Smashbox primers. Any opinions?

My forehead tends to get oily over a couple of hours because I have bangs. My cheeks tend to be drier. Is there a good primer and foundation for me? :smileyhappy:

LilBNasty

Re: What is a good primer and medium coverage foundation for combination skin?

Thank you all very much!

emmaclaire

[ Edited ]

I don't know about the VS primer, but I don't know if the Smashbox primer has SPF in it.  The Smashbox primer is absolutely wonderful, so I recommend that!

I have heard a lot of great responses to Hourglass Cosmetic's primer as well.

For oily or combination skin, I recommend Illamasqua Skin Base, Smashbox STUDIO SKIN (make sure to get color matched), Kat von D (full coverage), and I agree with the MUFE HD and Mat Velvet and the Lancome 24hr and UD Naked foundations!

EDIT: also check out Bobbi Brown Even Finish liquid foundation!  Great shade selection with that line, too.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Primer: Can't recommend.  Sorry!  Foundation: Clinique's Perfectly Real, Lancome's Teinte Idole 24h, and YSL's Touche Éclat.  Brilliant formulas and good pigments!

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Touche Eclat isn't as great for combination or oily skin, sadly.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Hmmm, that's odd.  I've sampled it on days I'm less oily/more combo and adored it!

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi LilBNasty,

Just to add to the suggestion that you have already. I also recommend the Sephora Collection Perfecting Ultra-Smoothing Primer. It's very light weight, goes on smoothly and also evens out the complexion.

http://www.sephora.com/perfecting-ultra-smoothing-primer-P284104?skuId=1309665

primer clear.jpg

For foundation, I recommend the shade 127 in the Make Up Forever HD Foundation. It's oil free and has buildable coverage. It looks very natural when applied to the skin and blends evenly.

127.jpg

<3 Melissa
Egyptiann95

I have combination skin too, and the perfect primer for me is the "bareMinerals Prime Time™ Foundation Primer - Oil Control" it reaally does decrease the oil in my skin and helps keep my makeup on longer. 

swfupload_6952068696211224687.jpg

There are two foundations I've really loved lately, the MUFE Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation and Urban Decay's Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup, they both give amazing coverage and last all day, the mufe one however gives more and last longer because its water-resistant and that would be amazing in the summer. 

swfupload_3613837370723580641.jpgswfupload_3118954141096322343.jpg

Stop by your local sephora and try samples of both and see what you like :smileyhappy: also try findation.com to help you find your perfect shade, I hope i helped. 

AlwaysGlamorous

I second on the Urban Decay Naked Skin! So lightweight feeling but gives great coverage and looks incredible! I use a BeautyBlender to apply and couldn't be happier. I'm wearing UD in shade 3.5 right now as I type!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • melissabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • AlwaysGlamorous
    • Egyptiann95
    • LilBNasty