3Freckles

What ingredient in the Dior Pore Minimizer primer can possibly cause dry, flaky patches on my skin?

3Freckles

Re: What ingredient in the Dior Pore Minimizer primer can possibly cause dry, flaky patches on my sk

(0) Hearts

Thank you Randee and Marika123 for both your suggestions. Although I have tried MANY MANY Primers, I have yet to try the Lorac and the Korres primers that you both mentioned. My mission this weekend will be to get samples of both to see how they do. I appreciate you taking the time to respond! 

btmod2

Re: What ingredient in the Dior Pore Minimizer primer can possibly cause dry, flaky patches on my sk

(0) Hearts

Hi 3Freckles,

You have already received some great suggestions! :smileyhappy: I think you may have some sensitivity to silicones in primers and I would suggest trying a silicone-free primer :smileyhappy:.

A great silicone free primer for combination skin is the Korres Greek Yoghurt Nourishing Primer. It has very soothing ingredients, but it is also formulated for combination to oily skin, so it will help keep your makeup on all day. :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

3Freckles

(0) Hearts

Thank you beautiful ladies for your responses! I do have combination skin and find that without primer my makeup just dissappears after so many hours- even with setting powders and what not. I do exfoliate 1-2 times a week with the Laura Mercier exfoliating scrub (which I really like), and then I use the Algenist anti-aging algae oil, followed by a moisturizer by Kiehl's. My skin behaves for the most part and I don't normally breakout (unless i'm allergic to something). I may concider skipping a primer and seeing if a makeup setting spray will suffice.  In response to the Cover FX anti-aging primer- that was actually one of the very first primers that made me research ingredients as it made me breakout. Then I tried the Hourglass primer and it made me breakout as well. After the process of elimination I narrowed it down to the Cyclopentisiloxane. Still, I appreciate these suggentions since not everyone is beauty product obsessed! :smileyhappy:

Spoiler

Marika123

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you tried LORAC I'm So Sensitive Soothing Face Primer? It's water based so might be worth a shot

Also Korres is known for using natural ingredients, they have 4 different primers for different skin concerns

DiVWA

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you considered not using any primer at all? I have tried various kinds and have concluded that they don't do anything for me at all except cause breakouts and greasiness. Most of them seem to have silicone of some sort to give the "slip" needed and to cover pores (the same concept is used in the pore-filling spackle type stuff), but I don't think this is worth the trouble. (I have sensitive skin like you.)

I do make sure to exfoliate and apply good moisturizer before applying my makeup, so I don't have any dry patches. But I find my foundation is enough without primer. Besides, some foundations have silicone in them too, so then using primer could involve putting silicone on top of silicone. Same with some moisturizers too.

I realize there are exceptions to what I've said (i.e., that some primers/foundations have no silicone), and that there are some people with sensitive skin that can make primers work for them, and that's great for them. But maybe you want to consider just skipping the primer.

3Freckles

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for the insight. Initially, after lots of trial and error, I believe I discovered that cyclopentisiloxane (sp?) was a culprit with causing me small pimple-like itchy bumps so then I became obsessed with looking for products that did not contain this (sadly most of them do), so I found that this Dior primer did not contain this ingredient and thought I was safe. My skin is not very sensitive overall but I have noticed that I cant just use any ol' product like I was able to when I was a teenager. Once this primer gave me these dry patches, mostly around my chin and outside the corners of my mouth, I thought "Oh great now I have to try looking for another ingredient that my skin is not favoring".  Just to give a bit more insight, some of the primers I have used that have not given me any bad reactions are the Perfekt Skin Perfecting Gel and Algenist Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer. Not sure if you are able to help me more by checking out those ingredients and comparing it to the Dior Primer... I would go back to one of those 2 primers but it would also be really god to know if there is another ingredient that I should avoid in the future. Lastly I would like to mention that while usind the Dior primer I did get itchy, on the areas of my face that got dry, whenever I'd sweat. I thought it was odd but I guess it may have been that those areas were totally lacking moisture by that point.

Marika123

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I was going to suggest you to try DR. BRANDT pores no more pore refiner as alternative for this Dior primer, but it's main ingredient is Cyclopentasiloxane which apparently you are allergic to. 

Both Perfekt Skin Perfecting Gel and Algenist Pore Corrector Anti-Aging Primer contain silicones: the first one contains Polysilicone - 11, and the second one contains the whole range of silicones - Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polymethylsilsesquioxane and Vinyl Dimethicone, so if it worked fine for you, I think that is safe to say you are fine with most silicones :smileyhappy:

There is also a simple explanation why Dior primer didn't work - since it is recommended for oily/combinational skin, maybe it just absorbed too much oil where your skin is naturally producing the least amount of oil - that is around your mouth, sometimes around the chin, and also for some people that would be temples and/or cheeks. 

The thing is that some people can be sensitive to some minor ingredients, and you might never find out which one it is. So the best way would be to take samples and try until you find the product that works for you.

You didn't mention your skin type, but generally only people with oily skin really need primer. If you have normal or dry skin, you might skip primer and use your regular moisturiser instead. Most moisturisers contain silicones anyway, so there's no point in layering them. In case you often get dry flakes that you are trying to fix with primer, try to find one with hyaluronic acid

Hope this helps

Marika123

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Most primers contain some kind of silicones which help to smooth and even skin out, but if applied too much they can cause dry flaky skin. It is also possible that you are sensitive to some silicones, but others would work fine, so even if this primer causes problems, other silicone based primer might still work fine.

Another possible irritating ingredient is alcohol, but it is less likely to cause extreme dryness unless you have very sensitive skin. 

If you really want to give this primer a second chance, you might want to skip it for a few days until your skin is back to normal, and then try it again, but really thin layer - it is definitely the case where less is more. Also make sure you spread it (like butter on a bread) with minimal amount of moves instead of rubbing it in, it will give you a much better finish. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 4 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • Marika123
    • 3Freckles
    • DiVWA