michjkim

Toners, what is comparable to Clinique prices for a good toner...

Hi, Is Clinique's toners bad for the skin because they have alcohol in them?  Anyone know of a good toner that is not so pricey?  TY 4 your help!!  >'.'<

michjkim

Re: Toners, what is comparable to Clinique prices for a good toner...

Thank you so much for the help!  I'll definitely check out the ones suggested....!  >'.'<

jennypenny1995

Clinique's Mild toner is alcohol-free, FYI.  It's on my shopping list as I run out of what I'm using up.  All the others do contain the bad stuff.

lylysa

The trick is to know which alcohols are good and which are bad. Ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol are all drying in excessive use.

Good alcohols are emollient and are known as fatty acids, which help keep skin's lipid barrier in check, these include lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, cetearyl alcochol, propylene alcohol, butylene alcohol, and behenyl alcohol.

Which toner from Clinique are you trying to find an alternative for? Give us some specifics on what you're looking for out of a toner and we can better recommend one suited for your needs!

I'm a fan of the Body Shop's Vitamin C Energizing Facial Mist, it contains butylene glycol, which is a healthy alcohol that helps to keep moisture levels balanced in skin.

swfupload_739762097081650480.jpg

Caudalie's Beauty Elixir uses plant based alcohols which are naturally occurring and less likely to dry out skin.

swfupload_6774749380342830350.jpg

Fresh's Rose Marigold Floral Water contains butylene glycol as well and uses soothing botanicals to nourish skin.

swfupload_1454127315498297585.jpg

Boscia is a great and gentle line that is preservative free and uses butylene glycol and propylene glycol to keep skin moisturized. They offer a few variations.

swfupload_491901418777066541.jpgswfupload_7010379310123821308.jpg

beautytester

I see you like the Body Shop mist. :smileywink:

Gosh I am soooo addicted to Caudalie spray. It's so expensive, especially considering how fast it evaporates. It's #1 on my to-buy list for the fall's % or $$ off promo.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Haha, it's such a great morning pick-me-up! Gotta have me some citrus!!!

I knew the Caudalie mention would catch your eye!

crayzeeRN

I had no idea there was a difference in the types of alcohols! Thanks for posting this Lylysa, this is extremely helpful. :smileyhappy:

consolvo

[ Edited ]

When TheBalm.com had their 50% off special, I ordered several of these for myself and as gifts. It's a basic toner and is billed as proper for all skin types. I've been loving it, but I'm fickle and will likely try something new when it is gone.

It contains AHA, so it's exfoliating in addition to other benefits. The price is surely right and might be worth a try for some of you who are reading this topic.

swfupload_7854865912678490499.png

lylysa

No probs! Those listed can also apply to hair and other beauty products as well, which is key especially for anyone who's a frequent hair spray user!

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to ditch the not-so great alcohols as everyone is on a different level in terms of how they can affect skin or hair, but if you have a product with the bad alcohols, try to be sure the product also is packed with conditioning and healthy ingredients to balance the effects!

crayzeeRN

Yeah, I've definitely been concerned about my toner lately with all the talk about alcohol in toner drying your skin out! I use the Tea Tree Skin Clearing Toner from the Body Shop, which has alcohol denat listed as the second ingredient in it. Not sure if there are enough other healthy ingredients in it to balance it out or not, but I will probably try experimenting with some different toners once I use this up!

Spyski

You should totally check out LUSH's Tea Tree Water (toner). The dupe is the one at the Body Shop. I've been using it for the past year and it's been really helping with my breakouts!

Here are the ingredients:

Tea Tree Water (Melaleuca alternifolia) , Tea Tree Water (Melaleuca alternifolia) , Grapefruit Water (Citrus grandis) , Grapefruit Water (Citrus grandis) , Juniperberry Water (Juniperus communis) , Juniperberry Water (Juniperus communis) , *Limonene , Perfume , Perfume , Methylparaben , Methylparaben

lylysa

Alcohol denate (or denatured alcohol) is listed in the not-so great list, but several of the ones listed in that slew do help cut down the dry-down time, which is good for folks with oily or problematic skin and even folks who are using products with it to style their hair as it means it won't keep locks sopping with product.

crayzeeRN

Thank you both!

I've never experimented with Lush's products (that could be dangerous :smileytongue: ), but I will definitely try this out!

Spyski

[ Edited ]

Yes indeed it could be dangerous! Dangerous on the bank account o.o But hey ya can't go wrong with a few of their bath bombs and a nice glass of wine for an evening to yourself. Worth it.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I get in trouble when I walk by their bath bombs, their kits make excellent gifts!

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I 2nd the origins perfect world toner. i have 3 that i alternate between and thats the only one without alcohol

melissabt

Hi Michjkim,

Just to add to the great suggestions that you have already. If you want to stick with the Clinique brand, they make a toner that is alcohol free.

lotion clinique.jpg

<3 Melissa
dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi michjkim, 

I like the recommendations provided to you already! I personally like toners with a slight bit of alcohol in them because I have an oily t zone and they really help to reduce the shine and chance of breakout from bacteria.

Another favorite of mine is the Lancome Tonique Douceur which is also alcohol free and very lightweight, refreshing. 

swfupload_2340615999866202714.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
clarks18

The Origins A Perfect World toner is very hydrating and smells amazing.  When I used it it didn't irritate my skin at all.  It was too hydrating for my oily/combo skin though.  You just need to listen to your skin.  Sometimes the natural ingreidents can be more harsh and irritating on skin than alcohol.  Regualr witch hazel from the drugstore is a great option for toner that gives you that smooth refreshed feeling.  I used to use Revlon's toner but if you don't like that alcohol sting, that wouldn't be a good option for you.  I personally love that feeling ha. 

Manda

I like the Nars Toner personally.  Alcohol free plus non-irritating for sensitive skin.  Plus, it cleans really well.  It says to use two pumps but, I only use one and it does a good job.  Its actually one purchase that I will be rebuying here on Sephora.

keelybt

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 31 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • Manda
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • dianabt
    • melissabt