lmevans

Toners - should I be using one and if so, which?

[ Edited ]

I spent some time at the Chanel counter this weekend and left with a lot of questions. She tried their new hydration line on me (which, by the way, is fabulous but also very, very pricey - the serum alone is $135!). I'm not one to skimp on skincare, but I couldn't stomach the price so I had to walk away.

One thing the counter manager said raised a few questions in my mind. I have dry skin on my cheeks and chin, and a somewhat oily nose/t-zone. I am in my early 20s, so I do suffer from some fairly mild breakouts (generally on my chin and forehead). She said I should be using a toner to even out my skin and normalize the moisture balance - is this true or was she simply trying to upsell me?

If a toner would be helpful for me, what products/brands would you guys suggest for me? I'm a bit weary of drugstore skincare, fyi. I'm kind of clueless in this department, so any help would be appreciated!

jes1324

Re: Toners - should I be using one and if so, which?

(0) Hearts

Korres Pomegranate Toner.. The absolute best for combating oily skin and breakouts, while still being gentle! Best product ever. 

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I was pretty skeptical about using a toner for years because I tried many toners, such as Clinique, Perricone MD, and Olay, without success because they would be so drying. Recently, I tried the Origins Zero Oil Purifying Toner and that was pretty good. Although this particular Origins toner has alcohol in it, it's not drying. Plus, it contains salicylic acid, which is pretty good for breakouts. For a toner, it's in the medium price range, so it's easier to stomach. =) Since summer is coming up, I think it's a good time to try a toner because your skin won't be as dry as in the winter. If it happens to not be for you, you can ditch it in three months. If this toner is too drying, I would try something without alcohol. Origins has other toners without alcohol, as mentioned by others. As for whether the lady at the counter was right or not, the concept of toner is to prepare your skin for your moisturizer, so in essence, yes, it's supposed to balance your skin out, but I'm not sure if all toners do that. I hope this helps and good luck!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I was never a toner girl until recently, but it's one of those "why in the world didn't I try this until now??" sort of things for me.

I happen to adore Shiseido's Beneficiance Toner because it's gentle. If you're having more oil issues, you might want something a bit more robust though.

krunce

(0) Hearts

My fave toner right now is the Clinique series. It's really affordable, will last you a long time, and does a lot more than just tone. I've gone through sooo many toners, loved them all, but this one... goodness, I can't ever picture myself using anything else.

You can pick and choose between the 3 to decide what best suits your needs and skin type. The toners are strong and leave a tingly feeling (strange tip: if you don't like how strong they are, try buying one in an airport. The Clinique Japanese toners are the same but don't feel tingly).

A toner like Clinique's should help with breakouts because it will remove excess oil and also exfoliate a tiny bit, unblocking your pores.

dianabt

Hi lmevans,

If you have dry skin but breakouts, I'd suggest that you still use a balancing toner. This will help to keep your skin feeling fresh but also remove extra buildup that could be causing breakouts and leave your skin clear of bacteria while de-clogging pores.

Origins United State Balancing Tonic

United State™ Balancing Tonic

Boscia Balancing Facial Tonic (great for sensitive skin!)

Balancing Facial Tonic

Shiseido Hydro Balancing Softener

The Skincare Hydro-Balancing Softener

While toners can be optional to add to your routine, I find they are amazing to clear out extra debris and makeup that your regular cleanser may have missed. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • dianabt
    • starletta8
    • lmevans
    • jes1324