Today! Live Summer Skin Q&A with Soap & Glory & Dr. Gross!

candacebt

Today! Live Summer Skin Q&A with Soap & Glory & Dr. Gross!

[ Edited ]

This chat is now closed! Thank you for your participation!

skincare_chat.jpg

Prep your skin for summer! Visit this thread on May 28 between 12-2pm PST to participate in our live Q&A with Soap & Glory founder Marcia Kilgore and Dr. Gross, creator of Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare. Ask them a personal skincare question of your own—from preventing harmful sun exposure to finding your perfect moisturizer.

Be sure to click the "Follow this thread" box on the right side of the thread to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered.

Learn more about Soap & Glory> http://seph.me/10TWvOe

Learn more about the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare> http://seph.me/10TWGZZ

drdennisgross

Re: Today! Live Summer Skin Q&A with Soap & Glory & Dr. Gross!

(0) Hearts

Hi, I formulated the Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution in such a way that Retinol can now be used in the morning and is non-irritating. The new delivery system allows for quick penetration into skin, fast dry time, and zero irritation – even if you have fair skin.

Retinol is a derivative of vitamin A and an important part of the anti-aging arsenal. Anyone serious about anti-aging should be using it. It stimulates the production of new skin cells and inhibits the body’s natural enzymes that break down collagen. Retinol also helps to fade dark spots resulting from photo-aging, hyper pigmentation, hormonal changes, and blemish scars.

The Salicylic Acid in the formula exfoliates, reducing the number of pore blockages to help tighten pores.

garnett

(0) Hearts

I love the Dr. Dennis Gross products that I am currently using. I have a light complexion and am 52 years old with skin that can lean toward dry. I used to have a lot of trouble with peeling, flaky skin with red patches.  Then I started purchasing your products. I love the extra strength Alpha Beta Peel and use it every night.  I also use the Ferulic Acid +Retinol products for face and eyes.  Part of my morning ritual is using the Hydra-Pure Firming Serum and in the evenings I use the Hydra-Pure Vitamin C serum.  I just purchased the Active Vitamin D serum oil.  My question- am I using too many products together?  Where should I add the Vitamin D into my skincare?  Thanks!

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

Hi Garnett, You are not using too many products together. You can use the Active Vitamin D Serum Oil before applying the Hydra-Pure Vitamin C Brightening Serum in the PM or before the Hydra-Pure Firming Serum in the AM.

The trick to applying serums is to apply products in order of lightest to heaviest in regards to consistency. If you do it the other way around, the heavier product can actually serve to block the penetration of the lighter product into the skin.

marciakilgore

(0) Hearts

Well Ladies (and possibly the odd gentleman), my times up!

It's been so great to chat with you, and please tune in next time!

Until then, SIT TIGHT! 

xx Marcia

drdennisgross

Hi-Dr. Dennis Gross here.  I am looking forward to answering your skincare questions over the next hour here at Sephora.WP_20130523_018.jpg

shygrl

(0) Hearts

Dr. Gross - three weeks ago I started using the ferulic acid and retinol eye and face serum.   I have always used good skin products but I have been surprised at the degree of improvement I have seen from your products.  I use a day and night moisturizer and since these are the first products I have used from your line what moisturizers do you recommend.  I am in my 50's so I used products for dry skin and minimize lines.

drdennisgross

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Shygrl – I am so glad you are liking the results from the Ferulic Acid + Retinol products. You don't need to use separate moisturizers in the AM and PM – if your skin is quite dry, I recommend the Hydra-Pure Intense Moisture Cream. You may also like Age Erase Moisture. I'd also suggest incorporating the Alpha Beta peel into your daily regimen; it's a powerful anti-aging product that reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and enlarged pores.

Hydra-Pure Intense Moisture Cream> http://seph.me/ZcuGOZ

swfupload_4684328916194880990.jpg

Age Erase Moisture> http://seph.me/Zrp0D0

swfupload_5177432338332642011.jpg

nyaxa

(0) Hearts

Wow, Dr Dennis Gross!

I am excited to have your ear:  I am 34, and have been dealing w/cystic and hormonal acne since my early 20s.  It seems only regular use of a 10% Glycolic seems to keep it at bey.  (even the Alpha Beta pads only slowed the acne, never completely stopped it!!)  Of course it is drying to use glycolic 3x a week, I have pulled back from daily use.

Do you have any other options for me?

drdennisgross

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi,

I would recommend trying the Extra Strength Alpha Beta Peel pads if you haven't already-they are stronger.  It contains higher concentrations of Alpha & Beta Hydroxy Acids plus the addition of Willow Bark Extract and Mandelic Acid.  I hope you are using an oil-free moisturizer, especially in the warmer months. Also, you could try the Clarifying Colloidal Sulfur Mask -which absorbs excess oil and acne-causing bacteria. The advanced “time absorbent” formula works especially well when worn overnight-but can be used as a 10 minute mask.  The product i would love you to try is a new Acne Pad launching on Sephora in August-it is specifically geared towards hormonal acne.

Extra Strength Alpha Beta Face Peel> http://seph.me/17nXJER

swfupload_1968294871697286512.jpg

Clarifying Colloidal Sulfur Mask> http://seph.me/18xaPNs

swfupload_8524913686549978200.jpg

pw75mpb

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i love sexy mother pucker XL!! the plumping and tingle is amazing. why do you think it is better than all the other plumpers out there (other than the name ;  )?

aubreda

(0) Hearts

I use the Soap and Glory Clean on Me bathwash and the Flake Away polish.  What is the proper order?:  I usually use Clean on Me, then the polish.   Can I skip the soap step (does the polish also cleans)?

At any rate -  I love Soap and Glory products! :-)

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]

AUBREDA, thanks for tuning in to my webchat! And I'm so glad you love Soap & Glory (good to talk to a kindred spirit out there).

It sounds like you're using your products in the right order. 

Clean on Me will get you feeling fresh, and FlakeAway is best used after it, because it will deposit a layer of water-loss-reducing oil on the surface of your skin, leaving it fabulous and silky and soft. If you used CLEAN ON ME after FLAKEAWAY, you'd wash away a lot of the nourishing finish that its designed to deposit.

Next, you've GOT to try PULP FRICTION. (It's a scrub and wash in one, and smells like YUZU FRUIT, PEPPERMINT and WILD FIGS. Might be a new favourite!

Thanks again for tuning in! 

Pulp Friction Foamy Fruity Body Scrub> http://seph.me/Zrlp7W

swfupload_5594192750462257976.jpg

AlyJJ

(0) Hearts

I get really embarrassed when I wear short-sleeve tshirts because I always have a red raised rash on the backs of my upper arms. How can I get rid of it because it's driving me crazy?

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Good timing on this question! The most recent studies to come out on keratosis pilaris (which is the medical name for the condition you are describing) report that the biggest cure for back of the arm bumps is not only exfoliating,but moisturizing. Apparently it's trans-epidermal water loss that is the biggest culprit. So you want to make sure that you scrub regularly to remove any layers of dead cells and flaking, but then you MUST moisturise! (it might seen antithetical, but it's the right thing to do).

I've had people report amazing results from using FLAKEAWAY on their upper arms, and also SCRUB 'EM and LEAVE 'EM. 

Give either a 'go', and forget short sleeve tees, I hope to see you out there soon in TANK TOPS. (I'll channel a lot of smooth energy your way in the meantime!) 

Scrub 'em and Leave 'em Body Buff> http://seph.me/ZrlCIs

ScrubEm_NSG.jpg

emcadams28

(0) Hearts

Hi, I have a few questions!! How can I get rid of age spots and sun damage on my body, especially on my hands and arms? Also, I have adult acne, but my skin is very sensitive and reddens or dries out easily (especially with benzoyl peroxide, though generally I have normal skin); what products would you recommend to deal with this issue? I am 28 years old, fair complexion. I also heard that chemical sunscreens were worse to use than zinc oxide (in terms of causing cancer, etc.). Can you recommend a safe sunscreen for face and body? Thank you so much!

marciakilgore

(0) Hearts

Hi E, Yours is a multi-layered question so I'm going to try to be efficient and answer as much as I can. (Please note, without seeing you in person I'm taking a bit of a stab in the dark. I hope I've got it right!)

Age spots and sun damage on your body are best treated with three things:  a) regular application of Alpha or Beta Hydroxy Acids, which will help eliminate the old, dead, damaged cells and stimulate new skin to come up from underneath b) MOISTURE. Nothing, but nothing, makes skin look younger than an excellent level of epidermal moisture. So get a great body butter or lotion and smear it on, head to toe, every night. c) PREVENTION. You got that sun damage from UV exposure, so don't expect to do the same thing and get a different result. Use sunscreen constantly if your skin is exposed to ward off any additional DNA breakdown from UVA/B/C rays. 

On the sunscreen front, first, remember that EVERYTHING is a chemical except for light and electricity, so 'chemical free' sunscreens don't really exist (the semantics police just don't call marketers on it). I prefer sunscreens that have other than mineral screens, that you can't sweat off when you're exercising, because for me, they're safer. 

To reduce your facial skin sensitivity, you need to concentrate on barrier repair, keeping irritants OUT. Don't peel too much. Use creamy cleansers, no essential oils for you (too stimulating, likely) and a good thick neutral moisturizer to protect your face! 

Be careful also when using BENZOYL PEROXIDE (if you do) as it can make your skin more photosensitive. Listen, when I get to a Sephora store (watch out for my next event), come and see me. I'd love to take a look at your skin and give you some advice. It's just a bit tricky over the internet!

Good luck E! 

tealover117

(0) Hearts

What are your personal tricks and quick fixes for baring legs in shorts? I love summer but my legs are not ready for the world to see!!!!

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

TeaLover, you belong with us in London! Come visit us!

On your query about shorts: first, and foremost, cellulite always looks better in brown. Use a self-tanner, or a temporary bronzer (like our super-easy-to-use streak-free One Night Tanned Bronzing Butter) to make white legs look longer and leaner. A little bit of a shimmery golden glow right down the front and center of your legs (with a 360 tan wrapped around) can also make the front of the leg visually protrude and the inner and outer thigh looking a little lankier. It’s a tried and true trick, and can add a couple of inches of perceived length to your legs. Also, if you’ve got short legs, wear skin-toned shoes. They don’t cut your legs off at the ankle, so you look like your legs are longer. If you suffer from ‘back of the arm bumps’, use alpha-hydroxy-acid infused lotions (or try rubbing fresh lemons on the rough and rashy spots) to help loosen up the skin that builds up and causes the bumps. New studies have also shown that dehydration is what leads to hyperkeratosis pilaris (better known as back of the arm bumps), so moisturize, moisturize, moisturise! FLAKEAWAY (below) is a brilliant pic if you want something that does it all (hydrates and exfoliates)! 

Flake Away Body Polish> http://seph.me/110HDIe

FlakeAway_NSG.jpg

One Night Tanned Bronzing Butter>  http://seph.me/11vLtz5

swfupload_5782900179831380555.jpg

exoticpeacock

(0) Hearts

how do i get rid of darkness and bumps around the mouth area? also i keep getting lentigene type of freckles on my face how can i get rid of them?

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Dear ExoticPeacock, Might I just say that freckles on one's face are exceptionally cute, and you might want to love them rather than loathe them, and work them to your advantage.

In terms of darkness and bumps around your mouth, I unfortunately would have to see you in person to give you any real advice, but if the darkness arrives once the 'bumps' are gone, and the bumps are buildup of oil under your skin, your best bet is to prevent clogging and dead cell buildup so acne doesn't take hold, as that can lead to bumpiness, breakouts, and dark spots (you know our chins represent our reproductive systems, and I always say that we get one good week a month. There's one week before when we've got PMS and we're oily, the week OF when we're breaking out, and the week after when we're recovering. 

The best thing you can do is use a great deep cleanser, scrub your skin regularly, moisturise really well and wear sunscreen every single day.  (If you don't have a great cleanser, I'd recommend THIS:

Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser> http://seph.me/110FBrK

FabPoreHotCloth_NSG.jpg

cheshirekitty

(0) Hearts

What are your absolute must-have summer body products and treatments and how do you use them over the summer time?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 96 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • nyaxa
    • beebee
    • bostongalincali
    • drdennisgross
    • carriefelice
    • aubreda