candacebt

Today! Live Summer Skin Q&A with Soap & Glory & Dr. Gross!

[ Edited ]

This chat is now closed! Thank you for your participation!

skincare_chat.jpg

Prep your skin for summer! Visit this thread on May 28 between 12-2pm PST to participate in our live Q&A with Soap & Glory founder Marcia Kilgore and Dr. Gross, creator of Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare. Ask them a personal skincare question of your own—from preventing harmful sun exposure to finding your perfect moisturizer.

Be sure to click the "Follow this thread" box on the right side of the thread to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered.

Learn more about Soap & Glory> http://seph.me/10TWvOe

Learn more about the Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare> http://seph.me/10TWGZZ

drdennisgross

Re: Today! Live Summer Skin Q&A with Soap & Glory & Dr. Gross!

(0) Hearts

Hi, these are some of my favorite products for summer.

-I like Hydra Pure Oil Free Moisturizer-especially great to use if you are exercising outdoors.

-Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outdoors. Always use a minimum of SPF 15.

-Use the Extra Strength Alpha Beta® Peel on rough spots like elbows, knees, and heels to exfoliate.

-Swipe the Alpha Beta® Glow Pads only on the cheek bones to mimic a bronzer and to get a natural sun kissed glow, without any sun damage.

-Ferulic + Retinol Brightening Solution is excellent for fading hyperpigmentation and sunspots.

drobb

(0) Hearts

Hi Marcia, I love your product line and was wondering if the face soap & clarity is safe for the eye area. Also, will your products ever be available in sephora stores or just permanently online only?

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi DROBB, thanks for the kudos, that is much appreciated! 

First, Face, Soap & Clarity isn't formulated for use around the eye area, and while we use a very gentle surfactant in it, I find that creamy cleansers, or micellar waters, are better around the eyes. (Your peri-orbital area doesn't have as many oil glands, which is why eyes dry out so easily. The last thing you want is to make them even drier by washing your eyes with foam!)

A good assortment of Soap & Glory stuff (including our famous Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Plumper) is now available in store at Sephora. It's in the skincare/bath section, so you have to peer around and look for the aisle of pink to find us, but we're in there. And we've got a lot of new products on their way, so keep watching this (and that) space. And thanks again for joining me today!

Face Soap & Clarity> http://seph.me/13XeIKj

FaceSoap&Clarity_NSG.jpg

pw75mpb

(0) Hearts

hi marcia! what IS cellulite and what causes it?

marciakilgore

(0) Hearts

Well, cellulite stems from a multitude of factors, but most experts believe it’s a combination of sluggish lymphatic drainage (from SITTING, SITTING, SITTING), and age-related dermal tissue breakdown. Sadly, that tissue breakdown can cascade starting at the age of about 12- when the oxygen levels in your capillaries start to deplete- and the underlying ‘girdle’ of collagen/elastin in the thighs starts slackening, allowing fat to poke through. That's what creates the bulging and orange peel-like texture you see under the skin. Cellulite can also be exacerbated by an abundance of fatty tissue (because we can all name 'skinny' people whoalso suffer from cellulite), but certainly if you’ve got MORE FAT, you’ll see more cellulite. 

alex122447

(0) Hearts

Hey, my concern is the left over marks from acne i used to suffer from, i still get an occasional breakout, but what is the best solution to fighting the red scars?

marciakilgore

(0) Hearts

Alex, the most important thing you can do now to help fade those scars and prevent them from taking 'root' is to wear a strong SPF every single day, whether you think the sun is out or NOT. (Raise your right hand please, and swear that you will wear sunscreen every day on top of your moisturiser. I'm waiting. SAY IT!)

The scarring you see is a breakdown of your dermal tissues where you've had inflammation and tissue damage because of acne. You have to let that skin heal, and protect it with sunscreen, or the redness can turn into darker spots, and then you'll be looking at a round of 'lightening' rather than fading. In the meantime, get a green-toned neutralizer or primer and layer it under your foundation, and nobody will notice. 

Alex, I'm going to count on you to wear that sunscreen, EVEN ON CLOUDY DAYS (remember, if you can see your way across the street, it's because there's light outside. If there's light outside, it's coming from the sun!)

alex122447

(0) Hearts

What's a decent sunscreen that's the least likely to cause more breakouts? I stay out of the sun, rather than using sunscreen because im nervous to layer things on my skin and sweat. 

I've had these residual marks for a while now, any recommendations for something to "lighten" them? 

jprice

(0) Hearts

Hey Marc,

Hope all is well with you and the family!

Everything good here in LA.

Jodi

marciakilgore

(0) Hearts

Hey JP!

How cute you are! Thanks for joining us. Kiss Zoe for me and say hello to Deb.

xxMK

laufenn

(0) Hearts

what do you do personally to stay fit and prevent flab?

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hey LauFenn. I work a LOT, so to reduce my stress levels, I'm a bit of an extreme exerciser. So a couple of times a week I throw my bike into the car, drop my kids at school, and go for a killer 90 minute bike ride before showering and sitting down at my desk. I'm also really big into hot yoga (or bikram, or ashtanga) because I believe you hold all your bad memories/fears/limitations in the muscles of your body, and if you want to live the fullest life possible and experience a lot of happiness, you've got to stretch yourself both mentally and physically.  I'll try to hit a yoga class at least a couple of times a week as well. I see an acupuncturist for a tune-up every couple of months (she helps with my jet lag) and I avoid cheese as if it were the plague. On the surface, every morning (and sometimes also in the evening) I roll on SIT TIGHT XS (knees, inner thighs, thighs, and bum!) and I cover any non-susceptible bits with a thick coating of the RIGHTEOUS BUTTER.

The Righteous Body Butter> http://seph.me/15geoWk RighteousButter_NSG.jpg

Francophile89

(0) Hearts

How can I get my dry, rough feet prepped for Summer?

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hello Francophile! (Did you know that when John F Kennedy went to Paris with Jackie, she was such a hit, because she was such a Francophile, and everybody absolutely LOVED her, and when he got up to make his first public speech, he said something like "Some of you may not know who I am, so I want to introduce myself. I'm the guy who gets to accompany Jacqueline Kennedy to France, and am I having a great time!"  

Now over to feet:  Believe it or not, feet exfoliate best when they are DRY. That means for the very best buffing (you’ll need a foot buffer, of course, sandpaper can be a bit scratchy) you should avoid foot creams- and even socks if possible- for at least 24 hours before you buff. (If that’s too much to ask, buff first thing in the morning, after having slept sockless all night, before you get into the shower.) Do a once over on dry heels and toes, and then after showering, another once over using a layer of good, thick, skin-enriching cream (like Soap & Glory’s Heel Genius). Rinse it all off, follow again with foot cream, and slip on WOOL socks. When you take them off, it may be the first time you’ve ever looked at your own feet and liked them.

Good luck! 

Heel Genius> http://seph.me/Zri6xE

HeelGenius_NSG.jpg

tonigirl1102

(0) Hearts

Hello all! I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face and I am wondering what the best facial wash and moisturizer to use is. 

marciakilgore

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Tonygirl, that sounds tough! I've always found that moisture is a flaky-skinned girl's best friend. That said, your best cleanser is going to be something milky or creamy (even OILY!). Something that helps break down makeup, but doesn't remove too much water from your skins natural barrier. You need ingredients that help bolster the barrier and prevent trans-epidermal water loss, and those are things like ceramides, fatty acids, sphingolipids and cholesterol  (not the kind you eat). Look for products that say 'barrier repairing' or 'reduces trans-epidermal water loss' first.  We have a fantastic product called THE FAB PORE CLEANSER that's only available on Sephora.com that could be perfect for you. Here's a picture! 

Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser> http://seph.me/110FBrK

FabPoreHotCloth_NSG.jpg

Good luck! 

tonigirl1102

Thank you, I will try it! 

MaritzaGall

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Marcia and Dr. Gross, 

What are the ideal products to use for a night and morning routine? How can I ensure my skin is clear, bright and naturally (as much as possible) glowing? Oh, anti aging as well! I apologize for what seems like an extremely loaded question, but I'm a gal that wants it all in the skin department. 

Thank you, 

Maritza 

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

Maritza-another note for you. Look for products that contain Farnesol – it's a natural alternative to Benzoyl Peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide kills bacteria – but it can kill healthy skin too resulting in acne scars. Farnesol is gentler but still effective. You can find it in most of our acne products, including our Clarifying Colloidal Mask, All in One Blemish Solution, Correct and Perfect, and Trifix Oil Free Moisture.

drdennisgross

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Maritza,

You can definitely get everything you want when it comes to your skincare routine. Our Alpha Beta® Peels exfoliate and infuse the skin with potent anti-aging ingredients, revealing radiant, smooth, skin with less visible pores and wrinkles. Glow Pad takes these benefits to the next level by adding microencapsulated DHA for a sunkissed glow.

At night, you can try layering Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution under Hydra-Pure™ Vitamin C Brightening Serum. When you combine these antioxidant powerhouses, your skin will instantly appear firmer, smoother, and brighter.

AM:

Alpha Beta® Peel> http://seph.me/118xUng

Alpha Beta® Glow Pad> http://seph.me/13XiHGY

PM:
Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution> http://seph.me/13XiNOP

Hydra-Pure™ Vitamin C Brightening Serum> http://seph.me/15gpcnb

Tallgirlmegz

(0) Hearts

Hi there! I have a question about oily skin in the summer. I have fair/really oily skin, and I was wondering if you have any daily beauty tips to keep it looking good in the summer? I don't really like wearing a lot of makeup because it slides off after a couple of hours, but I do wear spf. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 96 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 43 in conversation
    • nyaxa
    • beebee
    • bostongalincali
    • drdennisgross
    • carriefelice
    • aubreda