tessie84

Tips for Going on a No Buy?

So...I was supposed to be on a No-Buy this month for beauty and clothing, with my last purchase being a contour kit that should be arriving in the mail shortly. However, I found myself thinking about making my skin look more bronze in the sun and, before you know it, I was clicking "Submit Purchase" on a Gilt boutique that featured Nuxe Huile Prodiguese OR (as well as their original Huile Prodiguese). It's bad enough that I find myself really wanting a certain product, but it's even worse when it's at a discount or, in other cases, it's limited edition -- I feel like I have to get it now. Any good tips out there for sticking to a No-Buy???

chibimorph

Re: Tips for Going on a No Buy?

Start with a low-buy - either by giving yourself a monthly budget or setting up a limited list of items you may buy for the month.

Make an inventory list of all of your makeup (I do it by hand so I really feel the magnitude of what I have) - this seems to quell my purchase-monster for a bit of time. You can even categorize blushes, eyeliners, eyeshadow, lip products, etc by color so you can be aware if you have too much of any one color.

HookedOnBeauty2

I give so much credit to those who can stick to no buys or even low buys. I know I spent thousands of dollars too much this year at Sephora but I love all my goodies. I'd fail miserably at no or low buys. 

tessie84

I haven't hit Rouge for next year yet, but I'm only a few hundred dollars away, so I know I'll be there by the end of the year...which I'm a little bit embarrassed by. At least when I made it last year, that was over the course of an entire year and with the help of buying a ton of X-mas presents from Sephora. Oh, beauty addiction.

Heatoyos1

No-buys, like diets, are difficult to stick to. So I do low-buys, where I try to be cognizant of my spending, but I won't kick myself if I need to buy something, especially a skincare staple. Same thing with diets, I don't really believe in them, at least for myself. If I forbid myself to eat something, then I will crave it. So, I prefer to eat what I want in smaller portions, and do zumba. 

I'm setting a low-buy for myself for two months. My boyfriends' friends asked if my boyfriend, brother and I would like to go to Oahu with them in August. I think it would make a great trip: my brother has never been to Oahu before (I think that it would be his favorite Hawaiian Island, and there are fun Japanese summer festivals and tiki bars that he would love), and my boyfriend would be more willing to go if my brother came (they are very close.) Plus, if we go to Hawaii this summer, then we can go somewhere different for our future honeymoon (fingers crossed for Japan, or Europe.) My boyfriend does not like traveling (he got all of his traveling out of his system in his younger years ;(), so this is one of my only opportunities to go on a vacation with him.

Hawaii would be an unexpected trip (I never plan for a trip two months prior), so I need to save up money if I can go (which is hard with all of the good promo codes coming out lately!) And I need to increase my zumba workouts to fit in my swimsuit!!

nightknight

Right now I'm going on a no-buy as well in order to save up for a pair of Yves Saint Laurent shoes. Every time I think about buying some makeup, I transfer the money that I would have spent into my secondary bank account. That way, I slowly build up enough funds to afford those shoes and stop myself from buying any more beauty products. I also have a ton of samples to go through, so I won't be buying anything that I already have a similar sample for.

tessie84

(0) Hearts

I love that idea! If you think you can afford to buy that makeup, but don't need it, then you should be able to save it.

mrsbaine

[ Edited ]

No buys are unrealstic for some people. You may want to try a "less buy"; giving yourself a spending limit, and possibly an incentive for not spending It. 

Heatoyos1

(0) Hearts

The incentive is a great idea!!

tessie84

(0) Hearts

I think an incentive is a very good idea to help stick to the no-buy. Thanks!

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

What I am doing right now is this.....I am holding off on all beauty related purchases until I use up 10 full sized products. I've started a thread and you just talk about your progress and post pictures for proof. Then at the end, you give yourself a budget to buy whatever you want. I want to get 3 things off my loves list at Sephora when I am done with my 10 empties.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/EMPTIES-NO-BUY-CHALLENGE/m-p/1460436#M31642

notcreative

AKA the low buy.  Two different BTers gave me this idea now, and I am going to do this from now on when I come off the no buy I promised my husband.  I think it is way more practical, especially for obtaining limited edition items before they go on ebay for quadruple the price.

lylysa

For starters, I always ask myself the dreaded/necessary question:

"Do I NEED this or do I WANT this?"

Needs would fall into the zone where if I'm running out or down to the last bit of a product that is frequently used like face wash, lotion, serum, or lip balm for example. In terms of make up, if it's a product used quite regularly like a go-to lipstick or eye shadow, then it counts as a need as well.

Wants fall into the zone of "Oooo this has suddenly caught my eye!" or even sparked a recent interest even if it's an item that's been around for a while. When it comes to "wants", I take into account what I already have. For example, if I want a new eye shadow palette, I take a look at my existing eye shadows, I compare and see if I have shades that are dupes or similar, I ask myself is it just the new visual/physical aspects of packaging I like, and then I even consider how often I would use it/how quick would I run through it. If a palette already has a lot of colors I have in singles/separates, then it's a pass, if it's something with shades I don't have but wouldn't particularly use often, I'll pass. Also, consider whether or not it's a regular or limited time/edition item. If you suddenly decide you want to try a new concealer from Smashbox, but have concealers from Nars, Kat Von D, and Tarte, pass or merely get a sample. The Smashbox concealer doesn't appear to be disappearing any time soon so getting it later as opposed to now will help curb spending.

Try setting a "no-buy" time frame for something you deem as realistic, try doing a month to month no-buy, but in the same time, maybe set aside an allocated amount you MAY use IF you do need to make a purchase. For example, maybe $100 or $150, this is essentially your emergency, fail safe stash. Just because you set this aside doesn't mean you SHOULD use it, but it's there to cushion any purchases that fall into the "need" zone, that way you're not left with no cleanser for the sake for "not buying anything".

Also try during the time of the no-buy to use what you do have, perhaps pick an item you may have forgotten about or hardly use and say to yourself, "I'm going to use XYZ eye shadow from here out for 7 uses rather than pick up a new shadow!" this way you can begin cycling through product and even challenge yourself to try new looks you might not have considered. For example, if you bought a peachy, pink shadow 3 months ago to match a dress you had but haven't touched it since, try to stick with incorporating that shadow into your next 7 eye looks or even using it as a facial highlighter. This will help you "shop" your own collection and maybe allow your to rediscover an item to make it your fave.

tessie84

Thanks for the suggestions! I think a short time frame, and I small "just in case" amount is good. I also have thought that maybe using the products I already have, such as eye shadow palettes, in new and creative ways may make me feel less like I'm missing out on something. (Using an eyeshadow as a highlighter is a fantastic idea.) I already have a great makeup/skincare collection and closet (could improve on the hair care dept but I'm doing okay), so I know I don't really need anything except for when I run out of the basic. I will keep all of this in mind. Thanks again!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • lylysa
    • mrsbaine
    • nightknight
    • notcreative
    • Heatoyos1