feline5190

Time Saving Tips?

I like putting on makeup and love how it makes me look afterwards obviously, but my limiting factor is time.  On workday mornings (mon.-fri.) I only have time for face wash, prescription acne treatment topical, serum/moisturizer, undereye cream, primer, foundation, concealer, & setting spray.  Luckily that only takes me about 20-30 min. which isn't too bad I suppose.  But if I ever want to do my full face (eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrows, lips, blush, etc.) that can take up to 2 hours.  So I'm curious to find out how long it takes all of you to put on makeup.  I'm a perfectionist and slow at doing things (not coordinated I suppose), which is a bad combo, because it takes me forever to get things done.  My boyfriend said he had an ex-girlfriend who could do her full face (heavy makeup, goth-like I think) AND hair and it would only take her about 20 minutes.  I couldn't believe that, but then again I'm often surprised at how quickly people can do things that take me forever.  If anyone has any time-saving tips, it would be much appreciated!

lylysa

Re: Time Saving Tips?

Though I know this thread has covered mainly make up and even going in depth in terms of looking at things from a perspective of "making time" as opposed to just "finding time", yesterday after getting home from work I washed off my make up and put on a face mask. I then proceeded to cook and while I was boiling the pasta and stirring it, I let my face have a few short moments over the steam from the pot. I figured I would share this small tidbit because it's an added way to still multi-task and work efficiently (skin care/pampering while cooking) and the steam from the pot helps to open up pores and really let the face mask sink in better and nurture my skin. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I steam my face like that all the time! Then run to the bathroom real quick to apply a mask. 

garnett

[ Edited ]

I was taking way too long getting ready in the morning and so I decided I needed to find a way to streamline what I was doing and still get the look I wanted. I am not a highly organized person by nature so I had to make some changes and stick to them.  The first thing I did was get all my cosmetics, skincare, tools,etc, organized and ready to grab.  I own many cosmetics and I now have them in a set of storage drawers organized by type.  I have a small container on my table top that has all the things I need to get my face done. When I am doing my evening skincare I put things in that box that I would like to use in the morning.   I have cups on my table that hold my eyeliners, tools, and brushes so I can easily find them.  I have a routine that I try not to deviate from. This keeps me focused.  I told my husband that he's not allowed to talk to me while I am getting ready unless it's truly important.  Getting sidetracked and distracted really eats up time. I generally don't try any new techniques or colors for the first time when I have to get out the door.  Those are things for the weekend or in the evening when I just want to play.  I can take a shower, do my skincare and complete makeup, style my hair and get dressed in 40-45 minutes.  If I have to rush out the door for whatever reason I have ways to make that shorter.  Trying to be organized and focused is the key.  So far, this seems to be working for me.

DaisieWilde

Full everyday face only takes me 20 minutes at most, if I don't dally and get sidetracked.  Hair takes 15 minutes as I blow dry with a diffuser and let the rest air dry so I don't get frizzy.  My "night on the town" makeup usually takes me an hour (it's hair that puts me into the 2 hour range for a night out, depending on what I do.

I'm a former burlesque dancer so high glam makeup on a tight schedule is something I had to master.  While I take my time for a night out, it helped get my everyday routine down to a short time span.  I do shower in the morning, though that changes depending on my work day.

drrragon

[ Edited ]

Oh, I'll do a 5-minute face if I have to, but I LOVE spending time lingering over my routine. Ideally with all those layers (serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, foundation, powder) I like to wait for each layer to sink in before adding the next, which probably takes the longest time.

Then since I'm acne-prone and dealing with a lot of post-acne scarring, getting the layers of concealer and powder just right can also take a long time. Applying foundation and setting powder doesn't take too long but sometimes I just love the feel of a big fluffy brush on my skin. :smileyhappy:

Then I really go to town with my eyes, that section could take half an hour just by itself or possibly even longer. I love to play with colors and textures!

So if it's a lazy day I absolutely do not mind spending hours on my routine.

The key to my 5-minute face is to take absolutely no risks and not play around with anything.  I only use stuff that I know will definitely work (like a mascara that doesn't smudge, eyeliner that I know ahead of time will stay put and is easy to apply.  And for eye colors stay neutral and simple.

feline5190

(0) Hearts

I also like to wait for each layer to sink in.  While I'm waiting is when I'll be getting dressed, brushing teeth, etc.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

feline5190

That's so true about how we ultimately make time for what is important to us.  I get annoyed when people insist that they don't have time for something, when in reality they are choosing  to not use their time for that something (and that's ok, just see it for what it is).  I could definitely choose to get up much earlier on workday mornings, so as to give myself more time to do eye makeup, etc., but I choose not to, since it's more important to me to just take the time for a clean face, even complexion, and most importantly oil free face (for as long as possible throughout the day).  Having said that, I would like to get things done faster so as to possibly branch out and do more makeup during the week (and still have my dedicated sleep time).  I've found that I need 7 hrs of sleep in order to be at my best physically and mentally.  

feline5190

Wow, 42 min and you're out the door.  I honestly don't think I would ever be able to go that fast, especially if I were to shower in the morning.  It's true that time crunches can make you faster, but usually for me they just stress me out and make me screw up and then it ends up taking me longer.  If I had kids I would probably be crying in a corner most mornings!

starletta8

I was thinking about this thread this AM and timed myself.  That said, I was rushed even more than usual and was out the door 42 minutes after waking up- and had time to make my bed and shower and do my hair, too.  Doing my makeup (not skincare) took 6 minutes for a full face. (concealer, foundation, powder, mascaras, eyeshadow, eyeliners, highlighter, blush, lip balm). 

It's all about finding a perfect, easy look that you can literally do in your sleep.  Then doing it over and over and over until your fingers just take over on autopilot, seriously.

That said, no way would I have been able to do get ready in that little time when I was in school.  I'm sure the moms out there probably laugh at my 42 minutes and think I'll learn when I have kids... time crunches make you faster, seriously!

bananachoox3

A full face makeup for me could take anywhere between 30-45 minutes. I like to make sure my makeup is well blended and that everything is prefect before I set my makeup and go. If you really want to save some time, you can always skip eyeshadow and just line your eyes, or go with a paint pot or creme eyeshadow all over the lid to save some time there. If I want to save time, sometimes I don't do my hair, I just comb through it. If I feel like my hair needs a little something, I would use my B&B surf spray to give a bit of texture to my hair. 

connieconcon

If I add the time it takes to curl my hair, my morning routine would be 2 hours as well because it's just so thick and there's so much of it.  So I can sympathize!!  Straightening my hair only takes an extra hour instead of an hour and a half.  I may not have the greatest curling iron in the world.  :smileywink: A full face of makeup takes me 30-40 minutes. 

Could you possibly cut back on the time it takes to get ready by showering and washing your hair after work?  Then you only have to straighten your hair in the morning.  I started doing that and only washing my hair every other day.  It's a lot healthier now and saves a lot of time in the morning!

feline5190

(0) Hearts

Yes, I definitely shower and wash my hair at night and that saves a significant amount of time (and since I'm not a morning person, I would likely fall asleep in the shower, which would not be a time saver to say the least).  And luckily I have stick straight hair, so my time spent on my hair in the morning is very minimal.  

connieconcon

Lucky!  I always wanted stick straight hair and I'm only just now learning to love my waves.

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

It takes you 2 hours just to do your makeup? Hmmm.....when I do a full face it takes me 30-45 min, and that's we me really taking my time. When I watch professionals on youtube do a full face, it takes them 15 minutes or less. Do you have everything organized? If you have all of your makeup in one big bag that you have to go through to find a specific item, try updating how you store your makeup. I know that when I switched from storing my makeup in one big makeup bag to a small makeup box with 8 drawers, my getting ready time got cut by more than half. Also, try to have one little makeup bag with one complete look--that way, if you don't have the time to look around your stash and figure out what goes good with what, you can just reach for this one bag and have everything you need.

Like someone else said, unless you just worked out or didn't wash your face the night before, or unless you have oily skin, you don't need to wash your face in the AM.

And get some good cream shadows, I find that it takes me SOOO much less time to get ready when I am using cream shadows instead of powder. Quickly swipe over lid with clean fingers or brush and GO.

feline5190

(0) Hearts

My usual morning routine which is really just the basics (wash, acne treatment, moisturizer, foundation, concealer) takes me about 20-30 min.  If I were to do my full face, it takes at least 1 hour and sometimes 2.  I have everything super organized (OCD style).  I'm just really slow when it comes to doing things with precision I guess.  But with the tips everyone has suggested, I think I'll be able to improve my time/efficiency.  

One big problem is that I have very oily/acne prone skin (we're talking change the pillow case every 2 days).  Because of my acne, it's always a surprise in the morning on what my face will look like.  Sometimes I have a lot of blemishes, so more concealer is needed (and the ones hiding under my jaw line or close to my ears are a real pain).  Sometimes my skin is flaky or my pores are really dilated, so it can be difficult to get foundation to cover well.  And I've given up on trying to conceal my dark circles under my eyes, so I'm trying different eye cream treatments as a way to try and remove them somewhat.

yellorose

(0) Hearts

It's true. When you have acne prone skin, just the basics take forever because flawless skin is the most beautiful of all. So of course concealing blemishes and hyperpigmentation and setting the makeup is so important. Plus being perfectionist means you dwell on things other people just don't see. I've spent many a minute overly applying concealer just to realize I just caked it on or applying so much brow pencil that now my eyebrows are super dark. I recommend taking a step back from the mirror and doing a once over when you find yourself obsessing! You'd be really surprised how easy it is to get perspective and be like,"What am I doing?!" Also a small alarm clock on the counter helps. I always forget the time when I can't see it.

connieconcon

(0) Hearts

Have you tried a new moisturizer?  I have that problem too.  Almost 29 and still have acne like a teenager.  It's worse now than when I was a teen actually.  Moisturizing a lot helps, but it's like a second job to remember. :smileywink:

feline5190

(0) Hearts

Yeah I experiment with different moisturizers, and I've found that I sometimes have to change moisturizers once my skin 'adapts.'  I've also started using oil (argan oil & similar types), and it really helps decrease my oil production actually and makes my face more smooth and manageable.  

miabt

A full face of makeup for me, if I am REALLY trying to perfect everything and use a ton of color, is about 45 mins to an hour. I've done a lot of weddings & fashion shows where I have much less than that to create a whole look, so I've gotten pretty good under the gun :smileywink:

An every day look, I can get done in about 10-15 minutes. I have 2 girls that require a LOT of my attention in the mornings, so unless I want to wake up before them (which I DONT, i absolutely love my sleep) I have to be quick about my routine. That includes foundation, blush/bronzer/highlight, eyes (shadow, liner, mascara, brows) & lips. My one tip is not sitting down at my vanity in the mornings. I grab my products & do my makeup standing up. Once I get comfy, its all over & I can sit there forever! You might want to do a quick search on youtube for "5 minute makeup challenge" where beauty gurus try to get everything done in, you guessed it, 5 minutes! Its pretty fun to watch and a bit inspiring to see a full face done that quick!

xo, Mia

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • drrragon
    • yellorose