earpoker

Thinking about getting a flat iron...I have lots of questions! Never used one...

I've been considering a flat iron...but I'm not sure if one is right for me.  I have fine, thin hair.  I get those annoying hairs that stick straight up on my scalp where I part my hair (I've tried so many products, but the hairs just pop up after an hour)...would a flat iron help with this?  I'm hoping a flat iron well help me get some volume around the roots of my hair, and add a little more shape.  My hair tends to get limp throughout the day, so I'm looking to get a little more oomph and less frizz.  Will a flat iron help with this?

Also, there is obviously a wide range to choose from.  What should I look for?  Since I've never used one, should I get a cheap one, or is it best to go for the good quality type?

chitownvixen

Re: Thinking about getting a flat iron...I have lots of questions! Never used one...

(0) Hearts

For the fly-aways, find a lightweight hair wax.  It will do wonders!  After you are done styling, rub a little bit between your fingers and gently apply to those pesky fly-aways!  I find that hairspray is a temporary fix.  The problem is that hairspray drys out your hair, so once the hairspray has faded away, it is worse then how it started.  And for the flat iron, get one anyway!  It's not just for straightening, you can create volumizing loose curls (just twist the iron away from your face as you are pulling it through your hair) or create the wavy look... It is very versitle!  I agree with everyone abouve with finding a flat iron with multiple heat settings. Have fun!

btmod2

Re: Thinking about getting a flat iron...I have lots of questions! Never used one...

(0) Hearts

Hi earpoker,

I don't think the use of a flat iron will give you any additional volume. If your hair is already fine and thin, I think using a flat iron will only take away the natural volume you already have.  I would recommend using a volumzing spray like the Alterna Bamboo Volume Uplifting Root Blast after your hair is dry. A root-lifting spray that adds volume to your hair would give your hair that extra body you are wanting. 

In terms of the hairs that stick out, I recommend applying a little bit of hair spray to your fingers and then applying it to the areas of your scalp that have hairs that are sticking out. I would stick with a lightweight hairspray that leaves your hair brushable. My favorite hairspray right now is Dry Bar's Money Maker Flexible Hold Hairspray. :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

veronika23

(0) Hearts

I have the bio ionic one pass flat iron and I've had it for a few years now.  I love it.  It's one you can adjust the temp on it. I think you can get it on amazon for under 100$.  I find if you invest in a good quality tool and take care of it, it should last you a long time.

earpoker

(0) Hearts

Oh my gosh, my heart skipped a beat!  There is hope for my annoying hairs that drive me nuts!  I will definitely check out one of the ones with adjustable settings...should it be the kind where you pick the temp, or just a High/Med/Low type setting?

StyleLynn

Preferably one where you pick the temperature :smileyhappy:

StyleLynn

I agree with the poster below about one with an adjustable temperature setting as well if you're looking for one to help with those annoying little hairs that stick up, go with one of the thinner models. When I was looking to buy a flat iron I went to my local hair dresser and picked one out with the help and advice of one of the hair stylists. Often they sell the ones that they use in the salon so if you get your hair cut and styled you can ask them which one they use and if you use one of their services they may even offer a discount. I hope that helps :smileyhappy:

ladymeag

I have thin, fine hair and the flyaways you describe. A flat iron does help me tame these. If you're using a hair dryer, you might want to try a different one, as well.

One of the things I found to be important when choosing a flat iron, which I angsted over for quite some time, is adjustable temperature. Many flat irons with a single heat setting are set pretty high to accommodate people with thicker or coarser hair, so you might want to make sure that what you choose has several settings or is something like the T3 Single Pass (what I settled on) that you can choose the heat setting for. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • ladymeag
    • veronika23
    • StyleLynn
    • earpoker
    • chitownvixen