missfawnie

The Search for a Perfect Foundation

[ Edited ]

It's been a yearlong search and I'm finally at my breaking point. I'm looking for the perfect foundation and I'm really hoping you guys can help me find my new HG. 

About me...

+ Hormonal breakouts once a month

+ Fairly light skin that is difficult to match

+ Lives in a dry, desert environment

What I'm looking for...

+ Lightweight- medium foundation

+ Breathable but buildable

+ Provides a bit of a dewy finish

+ Pairs well with thicker concealer 

+ Long-lasting (I tend to have 18+ hour days)

+ Does not cake on dry spots (but who does want that?)

Anyways- I know my list is a bit demanding, but if you have anything at least similar to that, please let me know! I've tried so many different foundations this past year, and I still haven't found my HG. So any and all input would be fantastic. ❤

Quinnzzz

Re: The Search for a Perfect Foundation

(0) Hearts

I've been using YSL illuminous (this is the name, I guess?). I think it answers mostly what you are looking for. Dewy finish (actually a bit of glowing healthy look) + buildable coverage. Light weight leaving your face feels soft and smooth. Comparatively hydrating. I wear it before class in the morning and it stays well before I go to bed at, say, midnight? So I think it's pretty long lasting. As for the color, you probably want to get a color match in store. BTW, i also has breakouts around my period, super annoying...

missey1973

(0) Hearts

I turned 40 this past year and have spent a fortune trying to find my HG foundation. After buying about 10 that didn't work out (I was to embarrassed to return them)  I finally got smart and just started to get samples from Sephora.  I am still on the hunt but the best ones from me have been Kat Von D, Bobbi Brown, and Laura Mercier.

mberteig

(0) Hearts

A few of my favorites that might fit your description are tarte's BB cream and 12 hour Amazonian clay foundation, Dior nude liquid foundation, Sephora microsmooth powder foundation, and for a drugstore option, Milani cream to powder foundation.  All come in light shades, I am fair, and there are lighter shades available than the ones I use.  Good luck on your search!

http://www.sephora.com/bb-tinted-treatment-12-hour-primer-broad-spectrum-spf-30-sunscreen-P377542?sk...

http://www.sephora.com/amazonian-clay-12-hour-full-coverage-foundation-spf-15-P302918?skuId=1393370

http://www.sephora.com/diorskin-nude-skin-glowing-makeup-spf-15-P230421?skuId=1443480

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SEPHORA%20COLLECTION%20Microsmooth%20Founda...

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

I actually looked into NARS Shewe Glow, but after trying out a few samples, I ended up with UD's Naked foundation. It doesn't quite give a dewy glow, but I love the coverage, buildability and finish of it. 

Im kicking myself for not trying this one sooner. I love it. :smileyhappy:

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

What about Nars Sheer Glow? It gives medium coverage that can be built up or sheered out, and it is a little bit dewy but won't make you oily at all. Just apply a moisturizer beforehand because it can drag a bit on dry spots, but I put on moisturizer anyways before I apply foundation so it really isn't a problem for me. But it doesn't look cakey at all, and works great with any concealer!

starletta8

Here are a few suggestions I have (note: I'm as pale as they come and have normal-sensitive skin that runs a bit dry during the winter, not oily.  And I use three different concealers for different things every day.):

• Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation (I find it very buildable, dewy and lasts all day for me.)
  • Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Even Finish Foundation SPF15
  • Bobbi Brown SPF15 Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer

http://www.sephora.com/genius-gel-super-charged-foundation-P380708?skuId=1511104

http://www.sephora.com/long-wear-even-finish-foundation-spf-15-P375909?skuId=1458793

http://www.sephora.com/spf-15-tinted-moisturizer-oil-free-P288550?skuId=1333277

For comparison, I've tried (and discarded) multiple MAC formulations, MUFE, and NARS within the past year, too.  Bobbi Brown Alabaster is my HG- although I preferred the old formulation of the foundation if I'm being honest.

sulfate

(0) Hearts

Sorry to ruin you for less costly brands :smileyhappy:, but for my skin, there is nothing that compares to Koh Gen Do.  Aqua Foundation (I'm guessing this is the one you should try first) or Moisture Foundation (trickier application but easy once you get it).  I was about to switch to their MF after they just reformulated their AF, but I just couldn't give it up. I even went to Sephora this week and tried many other brands but KGD is still my stand out favorite..  Having said all that, if you have a lot to cover, and it sounds like you don't,  it's probably way too light.  I can't speak to it's lasting power though.  

FWIW, before this, I used Chantecaille's Just skin.  

I use Cle de Peau concealer and it works well.  

anaa

I got the samples twice with orders, when you can pick the three choices.  It blends perfectly and stays on really well.  I used bare minerals for years and then tried one of the Hourglass ones, which I do like, but I like this one a lot more.  There aren't a lot of color choices however, but the sample I got happened to work for me.

seff

(0) Hearts

I would suggest a BB cream like Boscia (comes in a small size for $18 so you could try it out). It last a long time and gives a sheer finish to your face but works on all skin tones. If you want more of a foundation, I am in love with Urban Decay's foundation. They have a good set on sale now that includes a BB cream as well.

CatherineNicole

I also used bare minerals for a while, then I found it to be cakey after a few years. I went to sephora and did the skincare IQ and the girl brought me liquid and powder foundations to see what I liked best. I had dry sensitive skin, but i just turned 24 and have noticed my skin changing on me. It's more on the normal side now. anyway, I was so impressed with the Josie Maran matchmaker foundation (the liquid one). It squirts out white but as you blend it in, it literally matches your skin tone. For long days at work, I put the powder matchmaker on top the liquid and it lasts all day and feels like nothing is there. Excellent coverage. And if you're just running errands, you don't even need the liquid. Just put on some concealer and put the powder one on and you're good to go. Hope this helps. 

missfawnie

A low-maintenance sounds so lovely. Somedays I don't go out, but I do like to wear makeup for my husband. It's nice to have something low-key like concealer + powder for those days. 

Is the Skincare IQ something you need to make an appointment for? The SA's at my local Sephora are usually rather busy, so if I do decide to go in for one of those, I'm not sure if I'd have to schedule it or just show up.  And how long did it take you to do it? 

CatherineNicole

(0) Hearts

I walked into my sephora without an appointment. If someone approaches you, just tell them you're interested in the skincare IQ. She'll find out what foundations match you best; liquid, powder, etc. For everything, it took about a half hour. The skincare IQ is super quick, it just takes time to find that perfect foundation for you! 

anaa

I bought the Lingerie De Peau based on the sample as well.  It is perfect for me, the best I've ever used.

lolo01

[ Edited ]

Same here I was starting to feel embarrassed about returning foundations so I have waaaaay to many but Im always on the hunt for the next best thing. I received a little sample packet of this, and Im really loving it...at the moment it only available online doll :smileysad:

missfawnie

Oh no. Is it? :smileysurprised: 

Is there a way I can get a sample online, or does it have to just be one of the 9 options they give you at checkout?

lolo01

(0) Hearts

Well the sample came with my last order :smileysad:

missfawnie

Ahhh. Okay. 

Maybe I'll contact the company and see if they provide samples. It's a bit disappointing that it isn't sold in stores- I do a terrible job shade matching online. Haha

viviene23

I think it is sold in sephora stores that carry guerlain... depends on your location. I bought mine in a sephora store near me.

missfawnie

It won't let me search for store locations, but I could always pick up a sample from Nordstrom since I believe they carry Guerlain in all their stores. :smileyhappy: 

anaa

(0) Hearts

Yes Nordstrom does have it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • emmielou
    • mberteig