Super sensitive skin-help me pick a brand for retinol and vit c serum?

(0) Hearts

Hello! I have super sensitive skin. (dry in fall/winter but combo in spring/summer-but it reacts to chemicals). Even brands like neutrogena bother me! I get red, puffy, irritated skin, very easily. So far, clinique has treated me well. I love clinique, but they do not offer retinol or vit c products, so I just use them for moisturizer/toner. I suspect that fragrances bother me most. I have very fine lines around eye/cheek area, and from my research, I should be using a retinol and vit c serum on that area. I plan on easing into a retinol. My skin is so crazy sensitive-can you recc good brand for sensitive skin that carries retinol and vit c serum? Thanks

Re: Super sensitive skin-help me pick a brand for retinol and vit c serum?

(0) Hearts

Hi HeidiinTN,

I have extremely sensitive skin and one of my favorite retinol serums is the Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution. This works wonders to brighten the skin and reduce signs of aging. I think this product would work really well for you because it's formulated without parabens, sulfates, phthalates synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, GMOs, or triclosan so it is unlikely you would have an adverse reaction. Would definitely recommend giving it a try! 

Stay Fabulous,
Zanna

(0) Hearts

Hi HeidiinTN,

First of all, as someone who struggles with sensitive skin as well, I strongly urge you to get an allergy test, especially if fragrance is your main suspect. That's how I found out the fragrance ingredients I'm allergic to, and it helped me out so much. It's a really simple and easy test, so don't worry about that.

As for me, for anti aging properties, I use mostly Peter Thomas Roth products (and for a simpler formula, First Aid Beauty). I find their Un-Wrinkle Toning Lotion to be great for that.

http://www.sephora.com/un-wrinkle-turbo-line-smoothing-toning-lotion-P389330?skuId=1657055

They do have a few products containing retinol, but I haven't had the chance to try those out yet (they get great reviews though). Mot if not all of their products are fragrance free, so maybe you can get a few samples at your local Sephora to try them out?

http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-pm-P251529?skuId=1224781

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I will check out this brand. Smiley Happy I do need a test-I had a test at an allergist years ago, but it was for several types of grasses/trees/pollen/foods(which I am allergic to most grasses, trees, pollen, lol), not fragrances. I will investigate. Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi, HeidiinTN!

If your skin is indeed super sensitive and you're not aware of the exact components your skin may be reactive to, I would recommend obtaining samples and doing patch tests to see if an item may or may not be suitable for more indepth use. Stating your skin is reactive to "chemicals" is very broad and frankly doesn't help narrow down the field much. Sensitivities and allergies can be very individual to where one can be reactive/allergic to even "natural" ingredients that may typically be used for sensitive skin. For example, oat is commonly used to ease inflammation; however, if your skin is reactive to this component, it won't matter how calming its properties may be as it won't agree with your skin in particular.

While vitamin C and retinol can help with your concerns, they're certainly not the only ingredients that can be of benefit. For example, vitamin C is merely one anti-oxidant, and while certain products will contain or utilize vitamin C itself as a stand-alone ingredient, there are a host of other sources that are naturally rich and high in vitamin C, not to mention a host of other anti-oxiant sources in tea extracts, various berries, marine botanicals, and polyphenols/resveratrol to name a few.

Clinique's Smart Custom Repair Serum is a blend of various anti-oxidant and brightening sources such as vitamin C (aminopropyl ascorbyl phosphate) mulberry, grapefruit, algea, plankton, and grape seed extracts to support healthy collagen and elastin production to firm and improve suppleness in skin. While it may not contain retinol, it uses multiple peptide sources to target lines and texture. Peptides are amino acids that repair and strengthen weakened or damaged areas of tissue, plumping and swelling to increase volume and thus help with smoothing skin's texture. The serum also uses hydrations and conditioners such as squalane, sodium hylauronate (a humectant that binds 1000x its own weight in moisture drawn from the atmosphere for weightless and continuous hdyration), vitamin E, as well as sunflower and soybean extracts. Focusing on balancing hydration and bringing healthy moisture to skin will also help improve skin's texture and appearance as well hydrated skin is less prone to have textural discrepancies be as pronounced.

Another Clinique formula that walks similar lines is the Repairwear Laser Focus serum:

This formula is bit more simplistic (which may be wise to start with as it's shorter ingredient list may minimize potentially irritating or risky ingredients being used). It too uses marine based botanicals (plankton and sea whip extracts) as anti-oxidant sources, has peptides, sodium hyaluronate, vitamin E, and vitamin C (aminopropyl ascorbyl phosphate). This formula also contains chamomile extract, which is a calming and anti-inflammatory component commonly used in products dedicated toward sensitive skin.

Depending on how close the lines are around your eyes, you may want to be very careful in terms of application for a serum that isn't dedicated for the surrounding eye area. The skin around the eyes is very thin and delicate, so it may require its own product and treatment to prevent overwhelming and being too potent. While the Custom Repair serum isn't listed for use specifically around the eyes, the Repairwear Laser serum is. I'd recommend reaching out to Clinique direct to see if their CR serum is safe or recommended for use around the eye area.

Clinique's latest Pep-Start Eye Cream may be one to consider if you're needing something specifically for the surrounding eye area.

The eye cream comes with an unique spherical applicator tip to massage the undereyes, helping to promote drainage for puffiness/fluid retention. Shea butter, sodium hyaluronate, and squalane hydrate to again, soften the appearance of textural discrepancies. Peptide blends are used to strengthen, repair, and diminish lines. Caffeine is also used to help tighten, firm, and promote drainage of fluid. Algea extract provides soothing and anti-oxidant properties.

Keep in mind that while vitamin C/anti-oxidants, retinol, and peptides are active ingredients that can yield improvements and results in skin, a huge component in being able to maintain and preserve those benefits is with the use of protective SPF. Regardless of skin type, concern, or age, SPF is essentially a non-negotiable that can make a huge different whether skin is being treated or in peak and perfect condition. With the use of active/repairative ingredients, without that protective aspect to shield skin while its being worked on, you're leaving skin vulnerable to the elements to experience further damage which would be like taking one step forward and two steps back. Shielding skin from UV rays will not only help in maintaining a more even and radiant skin tone (as UVB rays affect pigment/coloring), but it will also preserve the integrity of healthy cells from premature aging and damage (UVA rays, which are further penetrating and can wreck more havoc on skin, accumulating for long-term negative effects).

For more specifically on retinol, check out my response in the below:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Antiaging/My-Fear-of-PTR-Retinol/td-p/2047371/page/2

If you're needing insight on natural sources of retinol/vitamin versus having the ingredient listed as "retinol" or "retinyl palmitate" itself, check out the below where I highlight many plant-based ingredients that are naturally rich in vitamin A to aid with repairing and improving skin:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Retinol/m-p/2371733/highlight/true#M76966

Thank you! I read over this, and the threads you referenced, and it is chock full of info-very informative, thank you so much! I have tried the clinique serums, and they are lovely and do not irritate, so that is a good option, and I am glad to hear that they should help too. Smiley Happy 

(0) Hearts

You're welcome!

Since you've had good luck with the Clinique brand thus far, trying out the serums/treatments in the line may be a slightly safer approach versus venturing to outside brands right off the bat. 

Try to see if you can venture into stores and obtain samples to see if any immediate reactions take place along skin or if you may prefer the feel and wear of one over the other.

(0) Hearts

Check out Ole Henriksen! 

(0) Hearts

Thank you! This brand does look promising-been reading reviews today, and it seems other sensitive gals approve. Smiley Happy 

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 5 in conversation