1cros3nail4givn

Sunscreen Suggestions :)

(0) Hearts

Okay so I just learned I need sunscreen even for just riding in the car....who knew? Not me. 

Okay so I have a body sunscreen I absolutely love that smells like raspberries and candy that at I will be wearing for my body now :smileyhappy:

but out I need major suggestions and questions answered for my face sunscreen.

1. Is it best to use a facial sunscreen separate from make up and moisturizer or will those work just as well?

2. I think I have acne prone skin, I haven't seen a derm yet (appointment scheduled) but I do break out pretty easily. i have somewhere in between normal to oily skin I assume. And I want something that doesn't smell like sunscreen. I hate that chemically scent. If it is a seperate sunscreen or moisturizer with sunscreen I want it to be something that will work nicely with makeup not something think gross and oily that will make my face feel clogged and make up slip off. Any suggestions?

3. What else does your suggestions do? What about the product or sunscreen makes you love it so much other than it just protecting your skin?

rdesigns

Re: Sunscreen Suggestions :)

[ Edited ]

I use Skin Ceuticals sunscreens.  Have used them for many years.  They also just reformulated them not too long ago, and they are much lighter in consistency.

My physician also recommends wearing sunscreen in the house!  Enough light gets in from uncovered windows, shutters, shades, etc., to cause a cumulative negative effect. 

DTalksAll

I never had much of skincare routine, but as long as I can remember I've been putting sunscreen on my face every single morning. 

Doesn't matter if it's raining, snowing, hurricane... it's on. 

I keep a PTR SPF brush in my car for touchups. When I worked nights, I always put SPF on my face before I drove out of the parking garage at the end of my shift. 

I think it's from all the Cosmo, Allure, Glamour... I read as a young teen :smileywink: 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Which PTR brush do you use for touch ups. I was looking at the 2 on sephora and I can't decide between them

DTalksAll

I prefer the blue. I'm on the dry side of combo, but in the summer I get sweaty & greasy in the sun. The brush is so easy to keep in a purse, beach bag, car... 

And my bf loves using it too because it's not sticky and goopy, and greasy like normal sunscreen. 

lylysa

What's your skin type? If your skin is oily, or even acne prone, opt for the Oily Problem Skin one (blue), as it's infused with salicylic acid and willowbark to target oil and breakouts.

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

I have normal skin but in the summer it does get oily so I think I'll probably opt for the blue one for the summer! :smileyhappy:

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Seriously?? Man.... the crazy things I learn from BT.

rdesigns

LOL! Yes, he is dead serious about it since he treats a lot of patients with cumulative sun damage.  

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

think I'll survive if I just close all my blinds in my house instead? Lol

opinionatedjenn

I like the Boscia Oil Free SPF 15 with moisturizer because it helps oiliness as well as minimizes the appearance of pores. A lot of other sunscreens I have tried make my skin more oily and acne prone. 

carolang

I want to comment on La Roche Posay. I have the SPF 50 primer one. It's nice for oily skin because it is mattifying and not greasy, but it is on the heavy side and does smell like sunscreen. I am thinking about trying one of their fluid ones, the tinted one, the white one does leave a white case.

You know what you would LOVE? Well, maybe, because of your scented body spf. Look into the brand "Coola". They were introduced to me through birchbox. I tried the lotion spf 30 (although they have a just suscreen matte spf 30 too). Smells like cucumbers. Its so refreshing. I like the moisturizer, it does look a little "shiny" (like some moisturizers do) but it doesn't feel suffocating at all on the skin.

Unfortunately Coola and La Roche Posay are expensive. I haven't looked into the feel or texture yet but I hear a good cheaper option is Neutrogena and they have high SPFs.

lylysa

Yeah, I tried the primer, and that one does smell more like sunscreen, their actual sunscreens/fluids are super light though!

mplsblonde

[ Edited ]

I was given a suggestion by my derm- antehelios by la Roche posay. Derm said to use a high SPF like 50 or 60. you can get antehelios at walgreens or cvs. It's a little expensive but Iove, love it! It is a thin fluid instead of a lotion so it works perfect with make up and no sunscreen smell! My derm recommended it cuz I have 1 small scar on my face as well as some sun damage. This also is a primer and helps with fine lines- it just depends which type you get. I feel like this is a holy grail product - my face looks better and I know I have the SPF coverage I need! 

ShinyMagpie

Another vote for La Roche Posay here. My derm put me onto it years ago when I first did Obagi and some light peels. I tend to switch back and forth between that and the La Vanilla sun block which is more of a physical block using zinc and titanium. Both have a whitish finish to them. 

One tip. Whatever you use or plan on using check them out on the EWG dot org website to see what their ingredients are like and how good or bad they might be. They have a really great rating system on their site and break down the ingredients and rate them for you and tell you why they are bad. A lot of sunscreen contain ingredients that are known for endocrine disruption or will mess with your body on a cellular level in other ways. 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Thank you! Super helpful!

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

So I just looked it up and I am seeing a variety of them. Which one do you use?

mplsblonde

I use the ANTHELIOS 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid or the ANTHELIOS 50 DAILY ANTI-AGING PRIMER WITH SUNSCREEN. I have a different primer so I like the first one better. 

oklady2013

I would suggest a mineral based sunscreen ie. zinc oxide/titanium dioxide)  in your favorite texture, ie. gel with a minimum of SPF 15

. I like Peter Thomas Roth sunscreens SPF 30 there's no gel form

The Kate Somerville one mentioned  might be a good option. I haven't tried it yet so can't give you my experience of it.

If you prefer some thing a bit more budget friendly Neutrogena & Olay make some decent ones.

Hope this helps.

midnightangel

The best face sunblock I have tried so far is Neutrogena Age Shield face lotion. It absorbs a little better than most other sunblocks & doesn't leave as much of a slimy, shiny residue. I use SPF 110 but they make lower grades too. I don't remember if it has a scent or not.

If you prefer unscented sunscreen, try sunscreens made for sensitive skin or babies. These are often zinc oxide based and will leave a bit of a white tint on your skin. They also usually cause breakouts.

Be aware that any sunscreen will leave a residue and will not work well under makeup. That's just the nature of sunscreen.

There are many cosmetic & skincare products with SPF built in but the sun protection is often much sheerer than with actual sunscreen lotions.

Most Bare Minerals products, for example, have at least SPF 15.

Personally I just wear long gloves and perhaps a scarf if I must drive for long periods during daylight hours. Luckily that hardly ever happens in my life.

Anyway, hope that helps.

DTalksAll

I thought more people got breakouts from chemical sunscreen, not mineral. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • mplsblonde
    • midnightangel
    • rdesigns
    • carolang