Answer
Lalagirl1995
Stylist Must-Haves

Recently I've been given the opportunity to work as stylist (hair AND makeup) for some professional shoots. The problem is that I've never had any actual cosmetology classes, so I feel kind of at a loss. I pulled some shoots off while maintaining an appearance of professionalism, getting off on natural talent alone, but I felt my supplies looked a tad...embarrassing. I bought a few new supplies for the shoot but ended up needing to use some materials from my personal collection (which, obviously, is unprofessional and less than sanitary.) Luckily, I knew the model well, and no one seemed to notice; but I realized that if I were to make any kind of career out of this, I would need to start accumulating the right tools. What are the stylist MUST-HAVE tools and other materials I need to have to feel confident when I walk into a professional shoot? What brushes, makeup and colors, and other tools can I not go without? I'm slowly learning, but quickly would be awesome. :smileyhappy: Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
JustACostume
Answered

I'm going to suggest going to classes and get your license,no it isn't necessary to have a license to work but what you learn in beyond valuable. Also hair isn't an easy task, I started a cosmo course in a vo-tech school recently and it is much more difficult that I had imagined. This is not an easy and you need to be at your best all the time you don't know who knows who and where that could get you.

Get tons of combs of all different sorts, brushes and curling and flat irons, along with mannequin heads you can practice on.Perms are a big thing for my class right now(they are a pain) so make sure you have some rollers if you plan to do any.  If you can find a school in your area go get your hair done or nails and talk to the student who is working on you.

Lalagirl1995
(0) Hearts
Oh, thank you so much for your suggestions! No one I know has any clue what I should buy to be prepared for the hair portion of the look. I've got all kinds of hot styling tools (multiple curling irons, wands, and three-barreled curling irons in different sizes), but knowing what you need to create prom looks is different from knowing what you'll need to seem professional at a shoot. Your insight has been QUITE valuable. I'll certainly look up classes in my area, since I'm moving to a new state in a week or two, and I'll invest in more brushes, combs, and rollers. And I'll be sure to get a mannequin head, since practice DEFINITELY makes perfect. Thank you SO MUCH. Your response really did help me tons. <3 I hope you have a SPLENDID Friday and weekend.
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • miabt
    • Kiki1517
    • JustACostume
    • tashalicious
    • Lalagirl1995
Photos1
  • swfupload_8230651852829985141.jpg