Answer
Stylist Must-Haves

Recently I've been given the opportunity to work as stylist (hair AND makeup) for some professional shoots. The problem is that I've never had any actual cosmetology classes, so I feel kind of at a loss. I pulled some shoots off while maintaining an appearance of professionalism, getting off on natural talent alone, but I felt my supplies looked a tad...embarrassing. I bought a few new supplies for the shoot but ended up needing to use some materials from my personal collection (which, obviously, is unprofessional and less than sanitary.) Luckily, I knew the model well, and no one seemed to notice; but I realized that if I were to make any kind of career out of this, I would need to start accumulating the right tools. What are the stylist MUST-HAVE tools and other materials I need to have to feel confident when I walk into a professional shoot? What brushes, makeup and colors, and other tools can I not go without? I'm slowly learning, but quickly would be awesome. Smiley Happy Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
Answered

Everything @tashalicious said and don't forget brush cleaner, paper towels, hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, etc to keep everything clean. I don't know if it is necessary but a mixing palette and spatula can come in handy as well, especially when you find yourself having to mix foundation for a custom shade. Disposable spoolies are great too because they have so many uses.

swfupload_8230651852829985141.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions! I have never had anyone suggest getting a mixing palette and spatula before, so it hadn't even crossed my mind. This is definitely something I'll put on my list. And I'm glad you listed some sanitizing supplies because I could NOT think of all the items I'd need to keep everything clean. I was pretty much scrambling. I'll be much better prepared next time. Thank you again!
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
Photos1
  • swfupload_8230651852829985141.jpg