Skincare & makeup for existing acne + acne scars ( very oily skin)

I'm looking for skincare products to help with my very oily skin and to help clear up my acne. I would also like some products to help decrease my acne scars (red marks and pitted scars). 

I'm also looking for makeup items that will work with my oily skin. I like more full coverage because of my acne and scars. About an hour after I put makeup on I start to get very oily and it just gets worse and worse throughout the day. I use a mattifying primer (becca evermatt, I've tried others and they don't work either), setting powder, and  the UD de slick setting spray to try and battle my oily skin but they don't help at all! Please help me! Smiley Happy

Re: Skincare & makeup for existing acne + acne scars ( very oily skin)

(0) Hearts

Here is my routine that I use:

AM

No face wash (dries out my skin too much)

Clinique toner 3 (to make my skin feel clean)

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum (antioxidant rich, helps fade scarring) - the BM skin upper upper is a good place to start I love BareMinerals products and that one is affordable

Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel (lightweight)

BareMinerals powder foundation or Tarte 12 hour bb primer (my HG - a bb cream that has a silicone-y feel that fills in pores and is medium coverage). If liquids don't work for you, try powder. The only liquid I would consider buying is Lancôme tient Idole ultra 24h but it still separates on my face some by the end of the day.

PM

Origins Check. And Balances face wash (creamy, removes my make up)

Murad 2% salicylid acid cleanser or my new fave that boscia charcoal one that warms up

(0) Hearts

I've had on and off acne for years, and I had so much trouble trying to find products that wouldn't irritate my skin even more. Around December I started using First Aid Beauty's Skin Rescue Cleanser W/ Red Clay, and I haven't had any major breakouts or problems since. It's made my skin really soft as well, and doesn't leave your skin oily after washing. I'm convinced this cleanser saved my skin! 

As for acne scars, I've tried everything also. I exfoliate with Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant and Frank Body Scrub (I alternate them from time to time), and I use Philosophy Time In A Bottle Serum. These are just some products have worked for me. I really hope you find something that works for you (: 

(0) Hearts

for lightening up acne scars / pigmentation i recommend ole henriksen pure truth youth activating serum. i've heard from many people it helped with those stuobborn red spots zits can leave, even though it's not necessarily marketed as such. for oil, i recommend to add an acidic toner to your routine, after cleansing, like kate somerville's. give it a few weeks to let your skin balance itself out. and make sure you moisturize after ! you should find that your skin is less oily and the texture smoother, allowing for any foundation to set better on your skin.

(0) Hearts

You should definitely also look into Kat Von D Lock it Tattoo Foundation. It's full coverage, sweat proof, humidity proof, and isn't going to break you out. It's wonderful for oily skin also.

For a daytime moisturizer I would suggest Sheseido Urban Environment SPF 42 for Face. It won't make face oily and doesn't feel at all heavy like most sunscreens. 

I tried that foundation and didn't really care for it, I found it a little too thick for my liking!

(0) Hearts

It definitely is thick you're right about that! MUFE mat velvet is a little thinner and is very good for oily skin.

Have you used covergirl in the past for foundation? I used to use it religiously and when I stopped my acne cleared up quite a bit and the amount of oil toned down. It might not do that to you because my skin is SERIOUSLY sensitive and reacts easily, but it's something to watch out for. 

(0) Hearts

I've also tried mat velvet and liked that better but I stopped using it, I may have to try again. I only just started using covergirl a couple weeks ago and I have started to breakout more but I'm not sure if it was because of that or not. 

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I think I'm going to try these products:

First aid beauty face cleanser

bare vitamins skin reverupper

day moisturizer?

tarte maracuja oil at night 

dr jart pore medic @ home peel ( once per week)

ben nye final seal

urban decay de slick mattifying powder

freeman charcoal  mask ( how many times per week?)

What should I be using as a moisturizer for the day time? Also do I need to use another to treat my acne or will these products do that? Am I missing any other products that I should use? Thank you Smiley Happy

Sounds like you've got a great regimen in the works Smiley Wink

The serum might be moisturizing enough for you for daytime use, but what foundation will you be applying over it? If the foundation you use is mattifying or contains ingredients such as silica, you might want to apply a more potent moisturizer underneath. It helps to know what you plan on wearing all day to suggest what can be applied beneath the final look.

I think as far as your acne is concerned, start with the products you've listed above. See how your skin is doing after a few weeks of adjusting to your new routine, and from there you can determine if your skin needs more hydration, an acne fighting product, whatever the case may be...

As far as Freeman goes, considering you're using the Dr. Jart peel I wouldn't use it more than once for now. If it's too much, you can apply it to your face while in the shower and let it lay there for 5-10 minutes and then rub it in. Give the sugar some time to dissolve and become softer, but still give the product a chance to sink into your skin and do it's job Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

For my foundation I will be using the Covergirl oil control. Also do I still need to use a primer? and can I still use my anti-aging moisturizer at night? I would like to incorporate some sort of anti-aging product into my routine!

(0) Hearts

Sorry for the super late response to this! A primer is a great thing to play around with, they can help create a clean canvas for your foundation so that it looks nicer once it's on. I love the Hourglass Veil Mineral primer (which has SPF! Great point made by HarlemJPN!) or the MUFE HD Primer is also nice. You might be interested in a more silicone based primer, those with oily skin seem to really like them. They're not my cup of tea, but you'll have to experiment to find out what works best for you. You can absolutely continue to use your PM cream! Anti age it up. Did you end up finding some products that work for you during the day?

(0) Hearts

I agree 1000% with sarola88! 

But: make sure to use SPF during the day, whether it is in your makeup and/or your AM moisturizer. Two options:  CeraVe AM (drugstore product that is great for acneic skin) or Supergoop City Serum 30. Of course,if you're using makeup with SPF, you don't have to use AM moisturizer with SPF added.

Hi kyleejo!

I think some of the products that you are currently using may be a little too drying for your skin and it is causing your skin to overproduce oil to compensate for the dryness. I recommend switching to a more gentle cleanser for the mornings. My favorite cleansers for this are First Aid Beauty's Facial Cleanser and the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser. 

For the mornings, I recommend adding in a serum to help combat oiliness and help brighten your skin and fade hyperpigmentation. One of my favorite products for this is the bareVitamins Skin Rev-er Upper. The Rev-er Upper has antioxidants and a small amount of glycolic acid. It is the perfect serum for the day!

For the evenings, you may want to switch to a slightly more hydrating moisturizer. The oil control lotion is ideal for use underneath your makeup, however, for the evenings you may want something a little more hydrating. I recommend trying Clinique's Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief or Dior's Hydra Life Pro-Youth Sorbet Crème. 

What makeup and foundation are you currently using? It will be easier for us to recommend the best product for you if we have more information regarding your current makeup routine. 

<3, Randee

I use the Becca Evermatte primer

For my foundation I'm using the covergirl oil control liquid foundation, I've tried several high end foundations from sephora and they haven't worked for oil control so I switched to a drugstore one

Then for powder I use the covergirl oil control pressed powder

sephora blush

nyc bronzer 

Coty Airspun loose Face Powder to set everything 

UD de slick setting spray 

This routine is not working for me as I still get very oily but I think it's because of my skincare routine so I'm trying to switch it up

I like more full coverage because of my scars

(0) Hearts

I think switching your skincare routine will definitely help with oil control and help your makeup last a little bit longer. You may want to switch to more of a mattifying powder to set your foundation. One of my favorites is Urban Decay's De-Slick Mattifying Powder. I used this to set my makeup, but I also bring it with me for touch ups!

I also recommend bringing some blotting linens with you to help absorb any excess oil and shine you have throughout the day. My favorite blotting linens are the Green Tea ones from Boscia. Smiley Happy 

<3, Randee

I totally agree! 

I would recommend a cleanser with salicylic acid for the evenings. I am in love with Tria Foam Cleanser (has both SA and glycolic). Salicylic acid is an important tool in anti-acne fight because it can penetrate a blocked pore and clean it out.

in the AM, either splash with warm water only or use a very mild cleanser, like the ones the Mod recommended above. If you workout daily, I think it is extra important only to splash your face with warm water in the AM (rather than wishing it per se) and then was with a mild cleanser after the workout. In the PM, use the Tria or equivalent cleanser.

give your skin a chance to get its grove back and see if that helps balance out the oil issues you're having.

the gold standard in OTC acne fighting is benzoyl peroxide, but I think your skin is probably in too much of a reactionary phase to introduce it at this point. Wait a few weeks after having a "face product holiday" and then add in huge lowest percentage of Benz peroxide and work up till you find an effective dosage.

given the issues you're having, you should prolly go to a dermie, though.

(0) Hearts

A cleanser with salicylic acid won't do much for your skin because the acid isn't on your skin long enough for it to do it's job. And sometimes the pH of the acid in face washes isn't low enough, which makes it less effective. Salicylic acid works best as a leave on treatment. 

I have heard that as well, but my dermatologist told me that a SA cleanser works well if stays on the skin long enough -- at least 30 seconds. Indeed, he told me that a leave on SA treatment would probably be too strong for my skin.

(0) Hearts

My current skincare routine in the morning-- alba botanica acnedote deep pore wash, witch hazel, spot treatment if needed, alba botanica acnedote oil control lotion

Night routine-- same face wash, witch hazel &spot treatment, loreal RevitaLift Triple Power™ Intensive Overnight Mask

[ Edited ]

What acne products are you using? Using too much of drying ingredients will dry the skin out further causing more oil production to over compensate for its loss.

I was very oily combo once, now after rebalancing my skin with purity made simple I'm not at all oily like I was.

Pitted scars are harder to treat with over the counter products, it may be worth it to see a dermatologist for options, peels, lasers, topicals etc, if you haven't already.

Also use a clay mask about once a week, it will soak up oily and draw out impurities.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 10 in conversation