KellyJ1028

Skincare-Premenopausal skin/Dull

Does anyone have any great recommendations for a skin care line? I turned 50 in Oct and I have noticed some fine lines I need to address. I want something that will work with premenopausal skin, seems as if my skin is somewhat dull. I dont have any issues with acne or roscea.

rdesigns

Re: Skincare-Premenopausal skin/Dull

I am the same age as you, and a couple of years ago my doctor started me on a prescription HQRA+ cream (it contains Retin-A and Hydroquinone) because I was experiencing peri-menopausal skin changes.  It has worked very well for me, and I really have no lines on my face to speak of.  I only use it a couple of times a week because it is rather strong (for me) and can cause a lot of peeling.

I don't use any one particular line of products or regime because I assess my skin each day and figure out what it needs.   Some days I am oilier than others, some days my pores seem to be more enlarged, etc. For example, I rotate between 6-9 different cleansers depending on the condition of my skin. I do use one staple moisturizer (Kate Somerville Deep Tissue Repair) and a couple of staple eye creams (Obagi Elastiderm and Shiseido Benefiance), but the rest of the products I use really can vary quite a bit  For me, it is all about balance.  My hormone levels change quite often, so I need to respond to the changes in my skin rather than force my skin into a particular regime that may or may not be what my skin needs on any given day.  I do use many masks and peels - anywhere from 3-7 days a week. I particularly like Eminence Organics masks because my skin does well with the natural ingredients.  I also do red/green light therapy at least once a week (Baby Quasar MD).

I agree that if you skin seems lifeless and dull, you probably need to exfoliate more often.  Whether you do this manually or chemically (I do both) is a personal choice.  Also, if you are going to exfoliate (remove), remember to replenish your skin with vitamins, antioxidants, moisture, etc, afterwards.  That is just part of keeping balance for me.

I think my skin looks healthier now than it did ten years ago.  Once I learned how to interpret it's condition on a daily basis and respond to it, my skin changed significantly for the better.

I wish you luck in finding what works best for you :smileyhappy: 

quixotic

[ Edited ]

Hi Kelly, 

What worked best for me in addressing dullness and fine lines was to incorporate vitamin c into my skincare routine.  I use the Perricone MD Vitamin C Ester Serum in the morning and the Vitamin C Ester 15 at night.  These have really made a difference in the brightness of my skin and the fine lines (I use them in conjunction with the Cold Plasma line). I love Perricone, but any vitamin c treatment from Murad, Korres, Peter Thomas Roth, or Dr. Gross would do, depending upon your preference.

Whether you add a vitamin c treatment or add a peel/retinol treatment, with any of these it is important to use daily sunscreen as they may increase your sensitivity to the sun.  I am really loving the Perricone Photo Plasma as my daily sunscreen/moisturizer.  As you can see from the picture, it has a bright peach-pink tint, which really helps brighten up my face without being sparkly or shiny - and it has an SPF of 30.  This is one Perricone product I would highly recommend you try.

Hope this helps!

KellyJ1028

Thanks so much for your response! I recently purchased Murad's resurgence kit but Perricone was a recommend for me at Sephora . I've read so much information on products lately so I hope the selections I have chosen work. However, if Murad falls short (it's only been 4 days) Perricone will be my next purchase :smileyhappy:

quixotic

I switched about 3 months ago to all Perricone skincare products and have been thrilled with the improvements to my skin.  If you decide to try Perricone and I can be of any help, feel free to PM me.

laurabt

Hi KellyJ,

I highly recommend Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta® Peel Extra Strength Formula with the Ferulic Acid + Retinol line. The Alpha Beta Peel will diminishes fine lines, visibly improve dark spots and skintone. They are gentle enough for all skin types and can be used every day if needed.  The Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution combat all types of uneven skintone and hormonal changes.  It's very lightweight and absorbs quickly into exfoliated skin to treat sun damage and wrinkles.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

KellyJ1028

(0) Hearts

Thanks laurabt! I haven't heard of this line at all but will certainly look into. I so very much appreciate your recommends :smileyhappy:

vixen88

Dull skin is usually a sign that you need to exfoliate better. Your skin is changing and most likely the products you used to use aren't working as well. I highly recommend Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion & Peel System. I use it every other day and it keeps my complexion smooth and bright. I also use DDF Glycolic toner every morning as a skin prep before I moisturize and apply makeup.

KellyJ1028

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much For your recommend . Is the glycolic toner also for sensitive skin?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I would check into Murad's Resurgence line, it's designed for skin that is in the beginning stages as well as already in the processes of hormonal aging and effects.

The focus is on nourishing skin, addressing moisture retention and balance, and providing skin with a healthy glow.

KellyJ1028

[ Edited ]

Hi lylysa, 

i just oust purchased Murad's Resurgence kit at the suggestion of the Sephora associate. I haven't been using it but about 4 days so far but am hoping for the best. I also purchased the daytim moisturizer since there wasn't one in the kit. Thanks so much for recommend! 

Spoiler

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • quixotic
    • lylysa
    • rdesigns
    • laurabt
    • KellyJ1028