LoveBean

Skincare + Foundation - Sensitive, Combination Skin, Please help!!

Hello!

I am in need of advice on a new skincare and foundation routine. Here's me:

Sensitive, acne prone, combination skin (dry cheeks and around mouth, oily nose)

Severe dark circles and darkness around the mouth (genetic)

Acne marks (not really scars just red marks on cheeks and forehead )

Currently I wash in the morning with St. Ives apricot scrub (although I'm hearing it's not so good for skin) and moisturize with olay spf 15 for sensitive skin before using primer. Night time I use Cetaphil gentle cleanser, witch hazel toner, and cetaphil moisturizer. (and clearasil spot treatment when I get breakouts)

Basically, I find that whatever makeup I use, it looks cakey after a few hours around the mouth and nose. The nose area especially gets oily. I want a dewy or natural look to the skin but really need to have full coverage around my eyes and mouth for the darkness and where I have red spots. Also I would like the foundation to last for the whole day with minimal touch-ups.

Also, I'm not sure whether I should be using moisturizer underneath a primer and what kinds to use. Both containing silicone, water-based? Or should I just use a primer or foundation with spf and skip the moisturizer all together??

Suggestions for cleaners, moisturizers (day and night, or just night?), primers, foundation, concealers, and setting powders (pressed if possible) that would potentially help my skin would be greatly appreciated! Thank you (PS sorry this is so long)

melissabt

Re: Skincare + Foundation - Sensitive, Combination Skin, Please help!!

(0) Hearts

Hi Lovebean,

I think that the Peter Thomas Roth Blemish Buster Kit would be good for your skin type. The face scrub is very gentle and has smaller beads so it will glide smoothly on your skin. It contains both gylcolic and salicylic acid to help gently exfoliate skin. You will also notice that your foundation will go on more smoothly!

http://www.sephora.com/blemish-buster-kit-P276307?skuId=1305978

I also recommend the Make Up Forever Full Coverage Concealer. Its oil free and water resistant so it will be perfect for areas where you need more coverage.

http://www.sephora.com/full-cover-concealer-P151107?skuId=1247204

Try also using a CC cream which will help even your skin tone while you wear it! Most of them have light-medium coverage.

http://www.sephora.com/skincare#!&pageSize=60&sortBy=-1&categoryId=cat960031?searchTerm=cc%20cream&_...

<3 Melissa
LoveBean

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your help!

My skin tends to be dry before I apply moisturizer but oily around the nose. Should I still use a moisturizer before primer? Or just a primer with spf? Or just a CC cream with spf? I don't know a lot about CC creams so I don't know if they are like primers or if they help keep makeup lasting throughout the day, which is important for me

Also, how about foundation? I'm looking for a long lasting foundation that looks natural but gives a good amount of coverage without looking cakey. Thanks again for your help!

melissabt

(0) Hearts

You will still need to use a moisturizer underneath:smileyhappy: Moisturizer, primer  and then CC cream. An spf should be in at least one of the three products.

<3 Melissa
jennypenny1995

A good "almost natural" foundation is Lancome's Teint Idole 24H.  Another thought is to try Lancome's Dual Finish Powder.  On days you want less coverage, use a dry sponge to smoothe it on.  For days you need a more flawless look, apply it with a damp sponge. The Idole or the Dual Finish do not cake, so either are good choices.  The Idole lasts probably about the same as the DF, but maybe a tad longer.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • LoveBean