avacrowley

Skin care regimen for 12 year olds?

[ Edited ]

Hi. I'm 12 and I sometimes get little pimple like things on my face, and have some bumps here and there. I was wondering if there are any kits/sets that have multiple things in it like cleanser, moisturizer, gel/spary or whatever, along the lines of something like that you know?. All those types of things. Also my sister is 15 and has mild acne and I want to prevent that from happening to me and have clear skin. Thank you!

DesertRose0706

Re: Skin care regimen for 12 year olds?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I remember that I started getting pimples and blemishes when I was 12 (i'm 25 now).  What I used that really helped was a cream by Clean & Clear called Persa Gel 10.  It is a cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it, and of you apply it to your face every night before bed, it will help prevent pimples from developing on your face.  You can get this for about $5 from any Target or Walmart.

persa gel 10.jpg

When it comes to treating and preventing acne there are several key ingredients to look for that are commonly used to treat and prevent blemishes.  You wont find all of these ingredients in one product, usually an acne products has one of these ingredients which is the "active ingredient" that is is supposed to treat the issue:

• benzoyl peroxide (this one works best for me)
  • salicylic acid
  • sulfur (i usually see sulfur as the main ingredient in face masks, Peter Thomas Roth has one)
  • tea tree oil

I would try some different products from target/walmart, and if those dont work for you, definetely see a dermatologist if you can.  good luck!

gongju87

hmmm this is just my 2 cents, but at such a young age, I would refrain from messing with your skin too much; what you do now will affect what your skin looks like years from now.

Perhaps try a line geared to sensitive skin, like Simple. That way you are being gentle on your skin, and you wont be shelling out a ton a $ for high end products you dont really need. You have youth on your side, so you would be amazed at how resiliant your skin is and how it can naturaly correct itself

If it continues to get worse through the years maybe visit the derm?

Again just my 2c

Meg82

I agree with Gongju87 that less is more at your age.  Keep your face clean, keep it moisturized and you'll be fine, and if you end up with acne, call the dermatologist.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Agree with both girls.  And don't play with your zits/acne, you can scar your face.  Use sunscreen! :smileywink:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

A blemish here or there hardly calls for investing in a full sized, in depth kit to acne or blemishes. Your sister and you are both at an age where puberty and hormonal changes will be affecting skin for starters so keeping to a good basic regimen and practice of keeping skin well cleansed and properly moisturized will help maintain the positives and using spot treatments on the few and occasional break outs will help address issues when they occur.

Aside from the minor blemish here and there, what is your skin type? After washing does your skin feel tight and uncomfortable? Do you notice your skin oily and super shiny looking (regardless of whether you've been out or active during the day)? Is your skin relatively comfortable and problem free most of the time? Do you have redness or reactions to certain products/ingredients?

When you state that your sister has mild acne, about how many break outs/blemishes does she get in a month on average? What type of blemishes occur? Red, raised, and swollen blemishes? Blackheads? Whiteheads?

Give us some more info to factor in so we can better make specific recommendations!

avacrowley

(0) Hearts

After I wash my face my skin feels tight and uncomfortable, and my skin is semi sensitive. And for my sister she have a mix of everything.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

What does your skin care regimen currently consist of for AM and PM, along with your sister's regimen?

What items have you and her tried, found you liked/didn't like?

Do you ever notice your skin feeling flaky or suffering dry patches?

ChicDabbler

Hi! Welcome to beauty talk. Since the problem is minor, I would recommend the Clinique 3 step system or Boscia's clear complexion line. Depends on if you have dry or oily skin, you might have to tweak a couple items. If you are close to any big department store or mall, I'm sure the skincare counter ladies would be able to help confirm what you need. =)

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

http://www.sephora.com/search/search.jsp?keyword=acne%20value%20set&sortBy=price%3A0

Here are all the acne and blemish kits that Sephora carries. I prefer the one by Peter Thomas Roth.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • lilyyy
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • veronika23
    • DesertRose0706
    • Meg82