Answer
arete
Should you wash your face morning and night?

I've been using Differin retinol lotion every other night and am experiencing dry skin.

I know that is a side effect of using a retinol, but I was wondering if I need to wash my face in the morning?

I wash my skin every night with a gel cleanser and always moisturize morning and night!

Do you think this will help my skin from getting more dry?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 4
miabt
Answered

Hi Arete,

You should definitely wash your face both in the morning & evening, to cleanse your skin of any oils and pollutants from the air.  I would suggest using the retinol once a week until your skin adjusts to the product.  Immediate overuse can shock your skin & overdry it.  If you can, you also might want to use the retinol is the areas you are targeting, such as just your tzone or jawbone.  That way the rest of your face wont dry out.  Hope that helps!

xo, Mia

elizbeth1972
Answered

I say wash twice, day and night.  But when I am using acne clearing products that really dry my skin out, in the mornings I "wash" with a really creamy, creamy cleanser (I like Korres Milk Proteins Make-up Remover/cleanser).  I massage the product into my skin for a minute, use a soft cotton pad to remove excess product and then splash with cool/lukewarm water and pat face.  This routine helps with the dryness.  In the evenings I use my regular (foamy) cleanser.  A good moisturizer also really helps.  On occassion I also mix a drop or two of a face oil (i.e. Nude) in to my moisturizer to help counteract the dryness (evenings only). Good luck hun! :-)

prettyinpa
Answered
Try to skip washing with a cleanser in the AM and just splash water on your face. You may be overstripping your skin of precious oils and it's responding by being overly dry. Unless you are really hot at night, your skin doesn't perspire much, so water should remove anything that's on there. Also try using a creamy cleanser instead of your gel one, as they tend to be more stripping than more emollient ones. Philosophy Purity Made Simple works well for many people and can double as a makeup remover.

Hope this helps!
beautylovingirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi arete,

You should definitely wash your face morning and night, the retinol is definitely drying you out continue what you are doing but apply the retinol product every other night to every two nights. Good luck!

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • arete
    • elizbeth1972
    • beautylovingirl
    • miabt