lindsaykate7

Q - REVAMPING MY FOUNDATION!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

I've been reading through all of your wonderful responses to peoples questions, and thought I might throw my issues out there in hopes of receiving some guidance I so desperately need!!! I'm 30 years old and have never had the guts to change my makeup routine since I was 15, even though I've so needed too!

I have extremely oily skin, especially in my t-zone, pink undertones, very dark circles, fine lines, red scares and brown spots from the Florida sun! At the moment my makeup routine consists of basic Lancôme concealer under eyes, around nose, and all over chin, so basically throughout my super oily t-zone. Then I use basic Sephora pressed powder over it. This is not ideal. Within an hour I am caked up, oily as can be, has settled into my fine lines and feels like its dripping off my face

I have NEVER used a liquid foundation, mineral powder (like bare essentials) or whatever that powder that can turn to liquid stuff is. I am extremely inexperienced with makeup, obviously, and how to apply it. What goes on when, what goes first, second, etc... And do I still use a concealer? If I could get some advice from you all regarding what you've tried or what you think would work well for me it would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have researched through your recommendations on these posts and have found the following to be the most recommended.

PRIMER:

Givenchy Mister Mat Foundation Primer

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer

FOUNDATION:

MUFE Mat Velvet Mattifying

NARS Sheer Matte

Houglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder

Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra

Tarte Amazon Clay 12hr

Estee Lauder Double Wear

Clinique Stay Matte

POWDER:

Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder

SETTING SPRAY:

Urban Decay De-Slick

What should I choose? How do I apply foundation, a brush or spounge? I'm so sorry this is so long, but I am so lost!!! Thanks for your help guys

Lindsay

puppytia

Re: Q - REVAMPING MY FOUNDATION!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

(0) Hearts

Hi, lindsaykate!  I live in Florida, too, so I totally understand what that means.  (Can you believe how hot it is already!?!)  On an average day, I use Clinique's Perfectly Real foundation, which I mix with just a tiny bit of their Dramatically Different moisturizer.  The moisturizer gives it a fresher, less 'make-up-y' look.  I use a cream blush, also Clinique, and set it with Too Faced Primed & Poreless powder.  The Too Faced powder is very fine and light, but covers well.  I have a bit of rosacea and these products provide plenty of coverage for everyday use.

As for applying the foundation, my dermatologist said to wash my hands well and apply foundation with my fingers, because brushes and sponges carry too much bacteria.  And always, always put sunscreen on first!

Hope all that helps!!

BellaKroll

(0) Hearts

I also live in Florida and have VERY oily skin. Mine is also red and gets blotchy/uneven because of the intense heat and sun. Here is the absolute best routine I've found so far...

Primer: Smashbox photo finish correcting foundation primer (green one). This is the only thing I've found to not make me oily, but also keep my skin tone even through out the day as I sweat. I also use Shiseido Oil Free UV Protectant to protect my skin from the harsh Florida sun. 

Foundation/Concealer: Kat Von D lock-it tattoo foundation. This is the best thing I've ever found for controlling oil. If I use this foundation (it's thick enough you won't need concealer with this) my skin stays completely matte all day and looks flawless without any fine lines or post acne marks showing. It stays put SO well in the Florida heat and humidity I really suggest this!

Powder: I actually use Almay Smart Shade and find this works the absolute best for me. This is one of those powders that no matter how much of it you put on it will never cake up even though it has good coverage and keeps my skin tone even

Setting Spray: I don't even bother using this. The other products I mentioned above stay put so well I just don't need it

I put on the Shiseido first, then the primer and let that sit for about a minute. Then I rub the foundation in a thick layer under my eyes to conceal my dark circles and then apply the foundation to the rest of my face. I follow this by brushing on the powder and then apply blush and mascara. 

I hope this helps:smileyhappy:

keelybt

(0) Hearts

Hi Lindsaykate7  Those are all great products.  How much coverage are you comfortable wearing all over?  It sounds like you might benefit from a fuller coverage, so you wouldn't have to use as much concealer.  Or if you aren't comfortable with that, you could do a lighter foundation and go over it with concealer in places you need more coverage.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 4 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • puppytia
    • BellaKroll
    • lindsaykate7