arete

Product to help fade acne scarring

[ Edited ]

I've recently been struggling with dry winter skin. I finally have that under control and am looking to incorporate a gentle brightening product into my regimen to help fade acne scars.

I'm currently using Korres Milk Foaming Cream Cleanser, Bliss  Fabulous 2 in 1 Face wash as an Exfoliator (2-3x's a week), and Korres Yogurt Moisturizing cream morning and night.

I want something effective but also gentle enough to not dry out my skin.

I've read great things about Ole Henriksen Truch Serum and also the Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum.

When using a treatment like this, is it ok to still exfoliate your skin 2 - 3 times a week?

littlepunky

Re: Product to help fade acne scarring

(0) Hearts

I love using Paula's Choice 10% weekly AHA exfoliating treatment, then the 8% daily.  It does an amazing job at getting rid of my acne scars.  

beautytester

(0) Hearts

How I'm curious. Is it similar to any brands that Sephora currently carries? like Peter Thomas Roth or Dr. Gross AHA treatments stuff?

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@beautytester yeah Paula's Choice is a pretty good skincare line with a pretty large selection of products for mature, dry, oily, or acne skin.  i think you'd actually love checking it out because they give a full explanation of the ingredients and waht effect they're expected to have.  they even have hundred and hundreds of ingredients-based analysis of other brands' skincare and cosmetic and a large ingredients dictionary.  You can buy sample packets of almost all their stuff for $.80 ea.

EmmeXOXO

(0) Hearts

I'm a fan of Paula's Choice too! Pity Sephora doesn't carry it, I'd be earning points left and right.

dianabt

Hi Arete, nighttime is usually best so you can remove any buildup that has accumulated through the day and so your skin can calm down and have a rest during the night. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

(0) Hearts

Should I cleanse my skin first?

beautytester

(0) Hearts

Definitely cleanse first then exfoliate or use your treatment at night. If you are afraid it is going to dry out your skin, use an oil cleanser.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

An excellent and gentle product is the Perricone blue plasma peel. It is so gentle and won't interfere with your current  skin care regimen. Hope this helps!

beautytester

[ Edited ]

Lylysa is right that it's more of a cleanser than exfoliator. Personally I'm not a big fan of it since I like a thick paste scrub rather than something watery with only a couple of beads. I would recommend Clinique 7 day scrub cream before your cleanser. The cream based won't dry you out, it's thick so you get good exfoliation, and the beads are round instead of crushed nutshells so it's ok if you have a habit of scrubbing too hard or want to use it 2-3x a week.

I love that Caudalie serum! Truth serum is good, too, tho. Truth serum is more watery gel while Caudalie feels like....water but thicker. Anyways, both sinks in fast and addresses your problem. Hope you like it as much as we did. =)

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Take a look at a couple of these threads where I went over in full the ingredients used in many lightening/fading products, types of exfoliation that can treat discoloration (be it sun damage or post acne marks), and products in each category:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Combo-Normal-Skin/Whitening-my-skin/qaq-p/408849

The above thread covers basic ingredient knowledge that you might run into when looking at products to fade/treat post acne marks or discoloration along with advice on skincare/proper sun care to maintain your skin and prevent areas from worsening. Sunprotection is crucial if you're going to be using any type of lightening/fading product.

This following thread covers the forms/categories of exfoliation-physical and chemical based.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/dull-face-and-dark-circles/m-p/432931/highlight/true#M203

Exfoliation can work with just topical layers of skin as well as cellular levels, this will allow you to not just remove suface layers which may build up and dull your complexion, but also boost the regeneration of healthier skin cells to replace what you're helping to remove up top. I would suggest exfoliating no more than 1-2x a week if you're using a physical based exfoliant and you don't want to overscrub/exfoliate and cause dryness. If your skin is excessively dry (peeling, flaking, etc.) you can opt to up to 3x a week, but I still suggest starting slow at the 1-2x a week point. Chemical based exfoliants can range in use from 1x a week (some treatments and pads) to daily (more gentle/balanced washes).

Also, the Bliss wash you are using may have gentle jojoba beads to them, but it's more of a face wash than an exfoliator, you may need something a bit more intensive or even chemical based if you're wanting to target the post acne marks alone rather than focusing on an all over exfoliation.

There are examples of products in each category type to give you an idea of items to look into.

I would suggest started with the Ole Truth Serum, it's what I started with to brighten my post acne marks and I really love it. It's gentle, absorbs quickly, and won't make skin sensitized and is safe for day time use as well.

If you need something more bumped up, Ole also has their Enlighten Me serum which is a tad more potent than the Truth serum, but I advise starting with the Truth as to just gauge how reactive your skin may be.

dianabt

Hi arete, 

Yes! You definitely want to exfoliate the skin 1-2x a week even if you are dry so you can remove the dead skin cells and buildup, but you also need to do so for any serums or brightening items so that you are applying the treatment on the damaged cells directly and not just on dead skin cells that will flake off.

I personally love the Caudalie VinoPerfect and have gone through about 3 bottles of it over the course of the last 5 or 6 years now. It's lightweight, helps with acne scars and sun spots and never irritated or caused breakouts on my skin that would sometimes be prone to these!

Caudalie - Vinoperfect Radiance Serum

http://bit.ly/X2obd6

Another one I am LOVING recently is the Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu serum which smells like oranges and has 30x the strength of Vitamin C and absorbs easily into the skin.

Peter Thomas Roth - Camu Camu Power C x 30™ Vitamin C Brightening Serum

http://bit.ly/V5oXFv

Make sure you follow up with a product that has spf in it, whether it is your moisturizer or makeup. You want to keep these newly lightened skin cells protected and safe from any more darkening while you are trying to fade them away. 

It takes time, but you should see results in a few weeks- The process for cell renewal takes about 28-31 days for the turnover to complete. Be patient and your skin will thank you! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

Thank you!

Do you think the Bliss Foaming 2 in 1 Cleanser is a proper exfoliant?

I'm thinking I'll try the Caudalie VinoPerfect since you had good results with that!

dianabt

While the Bliss foaming cleanser is a good cleanser for a gentle scrub for your sensitive skin, to really remove the dead skin cells and have that brightening serum be at its most effective, a true exfoliator like lylysa and beautytester suggest will be your best option.

I like the Boscia Smoothing Facial Polish which is pretty gentle:

Boscia - Smoothing Facial Polish

http://bit.ly/XTZJgj

and also the Nars Double Refining Exfoliator which is strong yet smooth and gentle and also uses brightening fruit acids to exfoliate and remove dead skin:

NARS - Double Refining Exfoliator

http://bit.ly/XBkivZ

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
arete

(0) Hearts

When should I use the exfoliator? AM or PM?

I wear makeup during the day, so would I wash my face with a cleanser first and then use the exfoliator?

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

Your going to use the exfoliator at night and always remember to go with what your comfortable with, most of the Sephora pros and experts have the best solutions not the ones that you feel like you are being pushed into hearing it over and over again. Also remember just because something feels right on someone else's skin doesn't mean it will feel and be right for you.Hope this helps!

lylysa

And to Diana, I totally forgot to get a sample of that Camu Camu powder last time I was in Sephora! I remember you raving about that product and it had me curious! Darn it!

beautytester

Oh the camu camu serum feels almost exactly like Truth Serum (right down to the chemical orange scent, lol...hm.....maybe a tad stickier than Truth Serum, but not noticeably), I think you are really going to like it since you like Truth Serum. =)

lylysa

Once I start to run low of my Truth I'm try the CC....hahaha, cashing in those point perks got me 3 little Truth serums, if I had gotten 1 more I would have filled my 1 oz. bottle back up! :smileytongue:

dianabt

Yes, its VERY similar to the Truth Serum, on my particular skin type it was actually LESS sticky and I found it easier to work with (a lot more liquid based than the Truth Serum). plus I feel like the bottle is huge! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

(0) Hearts

Hmmm.....it does come standard in the 1.7 oz size. I'll definitely have to make a mental note to test this when I'm in stores next time and get a sample. It's a bit more expensive than the 1.7 oz in Ole, but not that much more.

I don't find the Ole one sticky, so I might run through the PTR one in less time if it is thinner, justirfying the bump up in price.

Ohhhh decisions!!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • arete
    • lylysa
    • beautytester