misslorrie

Pantone Color IQ

According to the Pantone Color IQ, my skin tone is 2Y05.  Can someone interpret this result?  I've always thought that my skin is more pink toned than yellow toned, but does the "Y" stand for Yellow?  Also, my foundation matches seem to be a lot darker than what I would normally choose.  Is this common?  Thanks!

infinitise

Re: Pantone Color IQ

I had mine done about 3 times in different stores before I gave up and started using the color IQ in a different way. 

I got either 1Y07 or 2Y06. which is at least 3 darker than my skin. 

my neck is usually a shade or two darker, but 1Y07 foundations look terribly dark on my skin. and too neutral too. because Guerlain LdP #31 and Nars sheer glow in Gobi is the closest match to my skin (they're something like 4Y03)

2Y actually leans toward the "neutral" not really yellow. 

I now just use the color IQ by punching my shade in and getting close matching foundations when I want to try something new. 

ruhappy

(0) Hearts

I had my color iq done and it is 5y05. I wanted to see if the Bare Minerals would work for me. I go the Color IQ and type in my color: 5y05, hit enter. I briefly see the three shades and then it goes back to Color IQ with an error message 'Please enter a valid SkinTone number.' I have type it in 5y05 and 5Y05 and get the same results. When I went into a store to see if I could get some help no one talked to me.

candela2ooo

(0) Hearts

I have the same problem since my shade is 5Y06 and when i hit one shade lighter it told me the same thing  so your best bet would be to chose 5Y04 if you think you will get lighter or 5y06 if you think you are a little bit darker 

calluna13

(0) Hearts

If you know a color works for you, plug it in online and it will list the formula with similar shades in other brands, FYI. I ended up doing this to tweek my formula a bit as I felt it was needed.

lalabyelou

(0) Hearts

Hi There !

I have been tirelesly searching for the perfect foundation for my particular skin (which is pale with pink undertones, oily,blotchy, and just plain old problematic). The last time I was at sephora this girl working there convinced me to try this color IQ thing and also convinced me to try the Kat Von D lock-it tattoo foundation (which I am a fan of the matte finish, incredibly long wear and full coverage properties.. but anyway). When the girl put my color IQ match on me in the store.. it looks pretty good. But once I got home and put it on the next day, HOLY COW I LOOKED LIKE A 12 YEAR OLD CAKE FACE WEARING FOUNDATION THAT WAS 4 SHADES TOO DARK AND TOO YELLOW FOR MY SKIN!! I tried blending the heck out of it, mixing it with a lighter BB cream I have, but it is probably the most offshade I have ever put on my face ever. I have to take it back. The girl took pictures of my temple, jaw line and nec; unfortunately, this method did not work out for me at all. From now on, I'm going to stick to my (pick the 3 closest shades, put a small amount of each on my jaw line, and whichever one disappears is the correct shade). I hate returning products, it's such a waste, but oh well. You'd think a high end make-up shop would have better lighting so one would be able to see what their face really looks like.

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Hi misslorrie,

It is possible that Color IQ may have picked up some of your undertones. I'll be more than happy to recommend some foundations that match your skintone. Would it be at all possible for you to post a picture of yourself or provide us with a foundation shade that you frequently use?

Whimsically yours,
Janine
misslorrie

(0) Hearts

After many months, I went back to Sephora for another Color IQ reading.   This time I was matched to 4Y05.  I tried one of the recommended shades (Dolce and Gabbana Matte Liquid Foundation in Natural Glow 100), but I thought it was slightly too dark and yellow for me.  Right now I'm trying out Makeup Forever HD in shade 120, but I'm not entirely sold on it.  I've tried shades 115, 117 and 118 in the past, but they're not quite right, either.  I think the closest match I've been able to find is the Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer in shade 4.5, but I'm looking for another option.  I'm thinking maybe a tinted moisturizer, since I prefer sheerer coverage.  I have a sample of the Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer in Nude, which is okay, but it is slightly dark.  For reference, I have light brown hair and green/blue eyes; my skin is fair and pretty neutral in undertone.  I've always thought it leaned pink, but I've had several makeup artists tell me that I have definite yellow undertones.  Sorry to ramble, but what would you suggest?  Thank you!  :smileyhappy:

calluna13

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Your colors above sound like my attempts to match my 1R06 skin. Have you tried Urban Decay Naked in 3.5? Get a sample if you live near a Sephora and try it at home. If you like it, I can help you with some other choices. I was matched differently all 3 times. I noted the differing environmental factors that may have played a role, the areaa the color was taken from, and combined them to what I believes may work in general. It took some work, and I do note changes in my own skin due to rosacea and weather, but I am generally a 1R06 that sometimes goes to 1Y05 (and even 2Y04) to balance out my rosace sometimes. It helps that as an MUA, I have a lot of colors at my disposal. I literally have tried every color you mentioned above though. MUFE 120 was a bit too dark, and 117 was pale enough yet just a tiny bit more yellow. I have worn it in the winter still sometimes. 

Greyes

(0) Hearts

HeYyY Beauties!

Is it possible that powder foundation and liquid foundation has a different Color IQ? 

snowshoe

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

From my experience, Color IQ can be hit or miss, especially if you have redness, freckles or other skin discolorations.  I had it done a few times and each time the color code it came up with was way too dark.

Instead, I went to get color matched the old-school way (swatches), and looked up the Color IQ code of what matched me (3Y05, not close to what the Color IQ machine thought I was), and then used that color code to help me find other possible foundations.  Not all 3Y05 foundations are the same exact shade as the others--I think the foundation formula alters the color a bit--but at least I have a staring point.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

From the same brand? I don't think so. I played around a lot yesterday on the website & the ones in the same brand gave me the same Color IQ. However... when I plugged in all my different foundations (liquids, creams, powders, TM...) many of them came back with different Color IQ's. I don't think it mattered what kind of foundation it is, just that each brand has different shades, just because the one you have is the closest match for you, doesn't mean it's the right one. Example: I know my shade in NARS powders, but NARS foundations tend to run on the yellow side, but I have neutral undertones. So even though I have a match in NARS, it's not my ideal shade. 

Here's a thread I started yesterday for us to compare our results http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/Color-IQ/m-p/597423/highlight/true#M1244 

LadyDragonfire

(0) Hearts

@Miss Lorrie: It is possible to get different results from Pantone Color IQ depending on where they take the color readings from. Also, yeah, it's true that they were supposed to take reading from three different areas, and then average it out to one color. If they only took a reading from one area, you should ask to have it done again. The first time I was matched with Pantone Color IQ I got 1R06 which I thought was kind of funny because my complexion is really warm (I know I have a warm undertone for sure) and light. The three readings were only taken from my face though, and I had some pimples/redness at the time. I recently had it done again though and had readings taken from my neck, jawline and face on the mid cheek area, and it actually averaged out to 3Y04. (This time my complexion was a lot more clear too.) Those colours turned out to be great for me. :smileyhappy: So yes, I think that using Pantone Color IQ is a great way to find your best foundation matches, but you have to get readings from areas that best represent your actual skin tone, and there are some things that can possibly throw the result off like pimples or freckles. If you have freckles and they hit the freckle colour you can end up with a result that's too dark too, and possibly too yellow.

happyfish

(0) Hearts

Sometime in July I went to the store to buy the same brand foundation that I been using except this time I use the color IQ to tell me which color I should use. The color it suggested me was one shade off than what I normally will wear for the winter. Anyway, being skeptical about it I asked them to try it on my skin and it looked okay on it. But after purchasing it and used it the next day I immediately can tell that it didn't look natural on me and my friend point out that it looks like I have a layer of something over my face.  

Bottom line is I don't think this skin IQ is very accurate. I think the light they use in the store next to the makeup table effects the reading of the skin IQ. Anyway, I have to drive 1hr back to the store to exchange it back to my prefer color.

SchroeterAlex15

(0) Hearts

I was the exact same skin tone and the foundations did seem really dark to me as well! Although I tried the Lancome foundation in Buff 4C and it did seem to match pretty well, although a bit darker than what I'm used to. On the site, you can choose one shade light to see what foundations are matched with 2Y04. Planning on trying some of those out. That may help. 

kalex

(0) Hearts

Ooh I wanna do it!  Is it going to be available in all stores?

misslorrie

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the advice.  The girl who took the reading on my skin only used the device on my jawline.  I never thought to ask if she could also take a reading on my neck as well.  I guess it's back to the store for another reading.  :smileyhappy:

krunce

Hey there!
Ya, it says on the webpage she should've used it in three distinct places that get different amounts of sun so that they can average out the colour.

Besta luck!

krunce

I'm checking this out briefly online. Have never been IQed by the Pantone Color system built for Sephora.

From what I can tell, they have the system split up into Ys and Rs, which probably do mean red or yellow undertones. I just found this link through teh Pantone site that may help you interpret: http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone.aspx?pg=21046

They also have a method for averaging out your skin colour by having you capture three photos of different parts of your face and neck. Did you try that out?

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi misslorrie,

Since the Skincare IQ is only available in stores right now I'd recommend you contact your local store back to get a more detailed description of the color ranges and colors they recommend for your tone. :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • calluna13
    • ruhappy
    • dianabt